Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
New tyres today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New tyres today

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

New tyres today Empty
PostSubject: New tyres today   New tyres today I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 am

Hello all!

I rode (180 Km) up to Canberra yesterday and back home today to have the 'Wing serviced (12,000 Km) and a new set of tyres fitted.

I had a great deal of trouble trying to get a set of tyres in the right sizes. Bridgestones were available but I wanted to try something different. The only other choices I had were Metzeler Feelfree (feel what?) or Sava; so I went for the Metzelers:

New tyres today Pu0340014x

Well they only have 180 Km on them so its probably a bit early for a meaningful report but they certainly feel very good. The last 60 Km of my ride home is down a rather steep and windy road and I followed a mate down. I found myself going into corners quicker than before (I know about new tyres and taking it easy etc. etc.) but the 'Wing just felt glued to the road. Very nice.

I'll try and provide further reports as I put more kilometers on them.

The ride up yesterday was in showers turning into heavy rain as I got closer to Canberra. The 'Wing is just great in this kind of weather; my helmet, gloves and shoulders get wet but everything else stays dry. Pity I couldn't get the same effect with the cold - it was bloody freezing once I climbed over the coastal range. The ride back today was dry but even colder! I feel I'm getting too old for this winter riding New tyres today Icon_eek !

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
madcatta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-16

New tyres today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres today   New tyres today I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 7:15 am

Hi Peter

Glad you got up and down the mountain safely during this week's rough patch of weather - at least it wasn't too windy!

The new tyres must have got a bit of a workout on the way home, they certainly look the goods in the photo. I'll be interested to get your feedback on their performance over the next few thousand k. I've only done 5000k since I got the Swing 10 months ago so I've hopefully got several 1000's to go before I have to replace mine.

I take it you got the service and tyres through Nico?

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before I head down the coast for a run - I'll flick you a note to see if you're about when I'm heading to the Bay

Regards
Scottie
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

New tyres today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres today   New tyres today I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 am

madcatta wrote:
...I've only done 5000k since I got the Swing 10 months ago so I've hopefully got several 1000's to go before I have to replace mine...

Scottie, I had real problems finding tyres to fit the SilverWing. My first preferences were Michelin Pilot Sports (not available, have not been available for quite some time and not likely to be available in the near future) and Pirelli Diablos (simply not imported in our size). Bridgestone Hoops are available but I have not been happy with the OEM version; whether the retail version is better or different I don't know (Nico thinks they are very good). Sava and Metzeler were the only alternative to Hoops.

madcatta wrote:
I take it you got the service and tyres through Nico?

Yes. I bought a Vespa ET-5 150 from him eight or nine years ago when I (early) retired. I had the first two services done down here in the Bay but they were slack getting prices and information about tyres; Nico was much better and ordered the tyres well ahead of me actually needing them just so I would have them. Good service I think. Plus his mechanics seem to "know" scooters. Although he told me today that the 24,000 service is going to be VERY expensive because the valves are difficult to get at - I don't know how true that is!

I would be pleased to have a ride. I could meet you at Braidwood and run down the hill with you. We ride mid-week with the local Ulysses group and are often up your way. Canberra Ulysses also has mid-week rides and comes down our way. They have several scooter riders.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
Sponsored content

New tyres today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres today   New tyres today I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New tyres today
Page 1 of 1