Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Guy from Glenview, IL

Go down 
+6
Opalsboy
DennisB
jdeereanton
"Hi Yo"
honda_silver
BrentS
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BrentS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-07-24

New Guy from Glenview, IL Empty
PostSubject: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Scooter: 2004 Honda Silverwing
Miles: 15,500ish
Mods: Thumblatch cruise control-greatest/cheapest invention ever
Givi Windshield-who knew 10cm could make that big of a difference
Utopia Backrest- work in progress
Dwg sound system- work in progress

Oh hello,
Not that I am a completely green SWing driver, I am very new to the forums. Over the past few weeks I have been reading up on these forums, and I have come to appreciate the knowledge and experiences that many of you have shared and continue to share through these forums.

So a bit about myself and my Swing. I purchased a brand new 2004 SWing in 2006 as my very first two wheeled vehicle. My first impressions as a newbie rider were that these people were insane. It ended up being one of the coldest nights in the Spring, and i had an hour long drive, and I was throroughly unprepared for cool riding. Once I got past the rather bad first impressions. I discovered my Swing driving to be a staple. I now ride it 2-3 seasons per year. Rain or shine. Hot or coldish. I just can't get enough of it. I have done multiple long distance drives. I usually try to push myself to get any trip done in one day, whether it be the easy 300 miles or the slightly longer 1000 miles. Right now I am planning my longest trip thus far. Driving from Chicago West to Seattle than run a loop back through boulder colorado and end up back home, but all in a minimal amount of time. I initially was browsing the forums to look for some ideas/modifications that will make my almost 5000 mile trip a bit easier. I definitely did find what I was looking for, but I also found a group of people dedicated to helping others out. And I felt like i wanted to continue to learn, and potencially help others out also.
Thanks,
Brent
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 12:15 am

BrentS wrote:
Not that i am a completely green SWing driver, i am very new to the forums. Over the past few weeks i have been reading up on these forums, and i have come to appreciate the knowledge and experiences that many of you have shared and continue to share through these forums.

Welcome to the friendliest SilverWing forum.

Last edited by honda_silver on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Guy from Glenview, IL 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 4:59 am

I think the information you need for a 5000 mile trip can be found under American Airlines New Guy from Glenview, IL Lol . That sounds like quite a loop,so enjoy the trip. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 5:06 am

Welcome to the forum - enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 8:44 am

Hi Brent,

Welcome to the forum. Happy you decided to join in. It you have a moment, post some pictures of your new ride in our album section.

Again, Welcome.
Back to top Go down
BrentS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:00 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
I think the information you need for a 5000 mile trip can be found under American Airlines New Guy from Glenview, IL Lol .
Yeah but if i fly AA. I won't be able to cruise the Badlands in South Dakota, or ride up the Going to the Sun rd. in Montana, or drive 101 south from Seattle along the Pacific. Flying is on an airplane is definitely quicker, but i have my own Wings New Guy from Glenview, IL Icon_smile
Brent
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 12:06 pm

You tell him Brent... Razz Being there is not the reason for riding a scoot. All of the many experiences you will have in a ride of that length are going to be priceless. Plan on enjoying all of them as they happen.

Happy trials to you...
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Welcome Brent from a fellow flatlander. I live in Crystal Lake. Are you familiar with Northwest Suburban Scooter Club. It's a good group of riders that take quite a few rides local and far. I don't go on as many rides as I like, as I have other passions currently in the way. Check them out here...

http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 2:01 pm

I do a bit of long distance riding myself (happy member of the IBA). All I can say is that what little I've learned from the few big rides I've done is that it pays to know or know someone who knows how to fix things that could break, AND carry spares for those things that could break. I've been in Indiana since Saturday afternoon while on my way home from Chicago to Philadelphia because my drive belt snapped. With the help from the guys on this forum, I now believe that I might actually be on my way back home tomorrow afternoon.

Anyhow, I usually make sure I pack the following essentials on my long trips:
SPOT tracker
GPS (and a secondary if you need one)
1 gallon Rotopax filled with spare gas
Road atlas
Bungee cords
Trauma kit
Bengay roll-on
Ibuprofen
Sunblock
Burn gel (for the sunburn)
Camelbak bottle
Raingear and raingloves
An electronic marker flare
Headlamps
Ziploc bags
Rubber bands
Tanka bars (beef and cherry bars)
Neck gaiter that is water-resistant and windproof

I've had a ram mount aquabox for my GPS on my other bikes before. BUT now I've found that an easier solution is to simply just take a ziploc bag and cover the gps (which is happily on one of DennisB's mounts) and use a rubber band to secure it.

After this trip, I'm going to probably also carry extra tools including a spare drive belt and headlight bulb.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Good list, Hammy - thanks.
On my 'other' forum a few years ago we devised a similar list to help newer riders or those less-experienced in travelling longer distances.
It was specifically for Brits crossing the Channel to ride in Europe but there are many similarities:

http://www.x9ownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6872.0

It's still in use.
Back to top Go down
BrentS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Hammy wrote:
I do a bit of long distance riding myself (happy member of the IBA). All I can say is that what little I've learned from the few big rides I've done is that it pays to know or know someone who knows how to fix things that could break, AND carry spares for those things that could break. I've been in Indiana since Saturday afternoon while on my way home from Chicago to Philadelphia because my drive belt snapped. With the help from the guys on this forum, I now believe that I might actually be on my way back home tomorrow afternoon.

Anyhow, I usually make sure I pack the following essentials on my long trips:
SPOT tracker
GPS (and a secondary if you need one)
1 gallon Rotopax filled with spare gas
Road atlas
Bungee cords
Trauma kit
Bengay roll-on
Ibuprofen
Sunblock
Burn gel (for the sunburn)
Camelbak bottle
Raingear and raingloves
An electronic marker flare
Headlamps
Ziploc bags
Rubber bands
Tanka bars (beef and cherry bars)
Neck gaiter that is water-resistant and windproof

\.

But where do i put my cloths? New Guy from Glenview, IL Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Guy from Glenview, IL 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:30 pm

New Guy from Glenview, IL 744535 Hey BrentS, I was joking about taking AA. I'm with you about seeing the country on a bike. I once rode through a rainbow in New Mexico. I'll never forget the smell of the cedars and the early morning sunshine. You would never experience it in a plane or a car. I also ran into a hailstorm, but that's another story. As I said, enjoy the journey.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Google "motorcycle packing list"
There are several sites. Some you can download.

If I were on a trip of 5k miles on my Swing, I would have new tires and new drive belt installed a couple of weeks before departure date. And I wound carry the old belt just for emergencies. some hand tools. (more than the silly kit that came with the bike. Tire puncture repair kit. air supply for blowing up the tire.
Check your tires AT LEAST once a day. I check what is showing every gas stop. A nail seen then is better than a flat out on the interstate.

MaxB
Back to top Go down
BrentS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 11:31 pm

I really appreciate all the recommendations and advice that everyone is giving me. I will definitely take with me as many things as possible, but in the end i would never be able to take them all. I like being at least mildly prepared, but part of the trip is also having unexpected thing come up that i would/could have never planned for. That's what makes it so much fun and adventurous. I look forward to "bad/inconvient" thing happening, It will make it that much more better of a story. You never know that flat tire might lead you to meeting a new life long friend. Or that crummy old Atlas that i have been using for years didn't tell me that that road no longer exists, so my detour leads me to one of my best rides. Its all about knowing that whatever happens, most likely something good will come out of it. Well unless of course i die, that would kind of suck, but meh.
thanks again for all the advice,
Brent S.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Guy from Glenview, IL   New Guy from Glenview, IL I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Guy from Glenview, IL
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: