Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 8:47 am

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Today at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?

Go down 
+3
tarmacburner2
Jeff Rosenkranz
matthew
7 posters
AuthorMessage
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? Empty
PostSubject: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 9:46 pm

I discovered something today that I've just never realized before.

I discovered that if I raise up/open my helmet visor all the way while riding, things are much quieter! This led me to conclude that it is the helmet itself that is creating lots of noise! (I always wear earplugs by the way, so that's not an issue) So.........

does anyone have experience with full face helmets that are quiet, and, of course, that don't cost a fortune (I'm not going to spend $300-400 on a helmet, so please don't bother to recommend one of those).

My current helmet is an HJC-CL15.

I hope I continue to learn something every day.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:46 am

Hi Matthew. How true. My all time favorite helmet is the noisiest. I attribute this to fit around the ears. My AFX, and Bieffe, are super quiet and have very small ear cavities. My Bell Sprint, @ $100 holdover price, has super large ear cavities. So comfortable. I have also noticed that riding a Swing with the shield up is quieter. I think the natural mechanical sound of the Honda is funneled and kind of amplified up through the helmet. Have you ever ridden your scoot without a helmet? It's a testament to Hondas wind tunnel testing. I think suggested retail on the new Bell Arrow is $120, and is actually the old Sprint...updated...same interior. Anyone have comfortable, quiet, helmet? Jeff.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:52 am

One possible explanation is that the visor is deflecting a lot of wind away from the helmet, therefore less wind = less wind-noise.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 10:01 am

In continuing my inquiry into helmet noises and fixes, I've discovered the Windjammer II.2. Webbikeworld reviews it with thumbs up, and it's available on ebay for $20.50 shipped from the UK, where it's made.

This question of helmet/wind noise seems to be a perennial problem, as I'm discovering, and there don't seem to be any helmets in particular that have sufficiently addressed it, hence the aftermarket products like the windjammer.

Since I like my HJC well enough, and again, webbikeworld gives very high marks to these HJC helmets overall, maybe I'll try the windjammer, even though some of its users have reported unsatisfactory results, depending, seemingly, on the bike and the configuration of the windshield in place.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:14 pm

My helmets are of the flip front type so the Windjammer can't be used on them.

I must say the the Schuberth C2 is reasonably quiet, coupled with ear plugs and a 3" higher than stock screen wind noise isn't a problem for me in normal riding situations.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Have any of the folks who have issues with the wind noise ever tried a half helmet?

I took an instant dislike to the full face modular helmet that the dealer threw in when I bought a couple of cheap Chinese scoots last year. Between the disconnected feeling and the inability to see the speedometer without tilting my entire head I found I couldn't stand it, best protection or not. I bought a half helmet and love it, even though it isn't going to help much if I slide face down along the pavement.

Some time after, feeling that I had to improve my personal protection, I tried the full face helmet again. Holy cow, is it noisy compared to the half face!

So the point to this ramble is that the half helmets can be very quiet. Perhaps you could experiment with one, if you are comfortable with the lesser protection.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Philip,

I wear a half helmet and love it. Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? Icon_sunny

Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? Untitl10
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 7:54 pm

I'd rather put up with a bit of noise.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Great pic Dennis. About your helmet....brand?......do the straps cover the ears, or are they open?......and can you open that Pepsi and have a drink while underway? Also do you know anyone that builds a hitch for the Silverwing? Jeff.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi Jeff,

I purchased this helmet at the Harley-Davidson dealership here in Tulsa, a few years ago. It was on sale and it fit my head good. When I got the new helmet home I started to look at it my new pruchase more closely and inside, it had a label at the top...and to my surprise, There in very small text...it said... made in China.
Back to top Go down
La Moto Mota
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 1:48 am

shoei tzr, tried it on at a cycle shop and bought it used on ebay for 70 bucks. The bottom of the line series' from the top of the line companies are typically the quietest b/c they have quality engineering and wind tunnel testing without the vents of the higher end models. More vents equals more noise. You might also try a helmet liner/doo rag to make your helmet tighter and consequently quieter.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 4:46 am

Full Face versus Half Helmet - no contest. I want to keep my ugly mug just the way it is thank you. Ear plugs will suffice.
Another advantage for me is that my helmet helps when communicating B2B.

At the end of the day it is personal choice, I've made mine.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 4:56 am

Dennis....irony at it's best. A quality, good fitting, Chinese helmet, at a Harley-Davidson shop. George Carlin is smiling right about now. Jeff.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 5:04 am

Also do you know anyone that builds a hitch for the Silverwing?

Our very own DennisB of this parish. Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:39 pm

I received the Windjammer II.2 and have used it three different times.
The sad conclusion is that it does not seem to help, at least with my
helmet, the HJC CL-15.
I wish I had better results, but I'm afraid
not. Plus, it's really a bit of a pain in the --- to get the helmet on
and off with the thing attached. It makes the opening for your head very
tight.
I experienced scraping of my nose, uncomfortable bending of
my ears, and all for no benefit.

If you're thinking about using
this devise, and the reviews I read before trying it were good ones, I
guess I'd have to vote thumbs down.

I'm thinking now along the
lines that John (on the sw.org site) mentioned, that is, maybe the right earplugs are about
as good as it's gonna get. I've been using soft foam plugs with very
good results, until recently.
Maybe my ears canals have grown!
Previously I was using harder foam plugs. I tried them again just a
couple of days ago and they are better at sound reduction than the soft
ones, but they are
actually painful to wear, so I won't use them.
That's why I stopped using them in the first place.

I'll keep
experimenting. Meanwhile, the noise isn't so bad that I'm too worried
about it. Just thought there might be a relatively easy remedy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?   Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helmet/Wind Noise And Solutions?
Page 1 of 1