Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive belt prices
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
creamcrackered
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-03-08

SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? Empty
PostSubject: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 5:00 pm

hi people,

been fitting various bits on the scoot all fused safe and proper, and was wondered just how much spare current is actually safely available for running these extra bit's on a '10 model?.

SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? 376570
regs
Alan
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm not aware of any changes to the 10 model year so it shouldnt be any different than any previous year.

That said, I have never seen anyone overload the power requirements on a swing, and trust me you don't have nearly the draw some people have.
I'm talking
Heated clothing plugged into swing power, heated grips extra 55w lights, gps radar detector, camera, and even in one case a power inverter.

I'm sure there will be someone along soon with a manual that will give you exact figures, but unless you are making it a point to try and use more power than produced, you will have a hard time doing so with add-ons that are useful. Just make sure that all your add-ons are key dependent, so they
will turn off when the bike does.

Dan
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 12:38 am

Ive used 120 watts before with no problems(heated gloves,heated jacket, heated pants , heated socks, and gps.)
Back to top Go down
creamcrackered
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 3:52 am

thanks guys,

i've not gone mad yet with power fittings (big yet Wink

so far heated grips and added 2 x 55watt running lights. i use my phone for GPS which has a negligible draw.

my trade is security systems installations, so my engineers 'mentality' for technicalities kicks in, i do have a full copy of but could not see in the official Honda W/Shop manual any ratings for surplus power limit to accessories.

my previous ride was a Piaggio X9 500 Evo, not a lot of spare power on that scoot, and you can easily trash the didgidash if not careful, hence being cautious i'm prudently asked the question, before i have an expensive mobile barby.

but sounds though as i need not over worry

just a note for those adding bits, Halfords sell a relay with a built in fuse carrier for £8, bit more expensive than a usual standard auto relay from Maplins, but way way cheaper than having a fire or burnt out loom.

regs
Alan
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 10:36 pm

According to the Honda Service Manual, the alternator provides 441 watts at 5000 rpm. I do not know how many watts are used by the machine while in use. However, here are some listings for the lighting:

Headlights are 55 + 55 watts each
Turn signals front and rear and brake lights are 21 watts each
License plate and tail lights are 5 watts each
While the book does not specify, it looks like the front position lights run about 5 watts each unless in use as a turn signal
Trunk light is 3.4 watts
Dash lights are LED, so I would consider it insignificant.

So, during operation, you could be running:
headlight, headlight, indicator, indicator, indicator, indicator, license - 80-135 watts depending on whether you use one or both headlights

If you are using the brakes:
h, h, i, i, l, brake, brake - 112-167 watts

If you are using the brakes and the turn signals at the same time:
h, h, i, l, t, t, b, b - 149 -204 watts

I do not know how much wattage the engine uses during operation, but it looks like you could have as much as 360 watts spare capacity if you only use one headlight. It could drop to as little as 237 watts if you use both headlights, the turn signals and brakes at the same time. All this assumes that the seat is not open while you are riding. Remember, the charging spec is at 5000 rpm, and is probably less at idle.

Considering that you probably won't have the turn signal or brakes on for long, we seem to have a lot of spare capacity most of the time. It seems that Honda overbuilt this too.

I run some Wal-Mart lights much of the time. They run 50 watts each, and I never have any starting issues or low voltage.

Does anyone know how much wattage the engine consumes during use?

Philip
Back to top Go down
creamcrackered
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:02 am

hi Phillip,

wow that was an in depth bit of work, i was expecting something simple like 'according to Honda Release XXX.X Part C Sub 4 - accessory supply rated at 15 amps' so and thank you for your excellent Stirling efforts.

like you say, seems plenty of spare capacity available Smile, power consumption for the engine i would think to be for fuel pump say 30 watts and electronic ignition say 50 watts, with the battery near flat perhaps allow another 100 watts for charging.

break and indicator lights i think can be safely discounted, as they are not permanantly on, and the battery would fill in any short term supply capacity 'gaps'.

i've removed my luggage bulb because the seat lock is an unreliable pia design imo, either i can't get the middle catch to release or it won't secure even when empty (grrr!), so not the best idea i've, have already experienced one flat battery because of it.

the light is obviously convenient, so in the short term i plan to fit a switch in the compartment, but later a bleep that sounds 30 seconds after the ignition is switched of if the light is getting power, might fit a simple timer to control the light for 5 mins continuous then auto off, and considering fitting a flexible stick of blue LEDs for that custom look and lower consumption.

regs and thanks again
Alan
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:16 am

Alan,
Check out this thread regarding the trunk light switch.

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=727
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 8:37 am

I don't like 100% load .
I will say 90 % is the maximum .
And more happy at 80% or less.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
creamcrackered
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 7:09 am

eddy wrote:
I don't like 100% load .
I will say 90 % is the maximum .
And more happy at 80% or less.

think most would agree with you Eddy, and why i posed the question,

otherwise how will we know what is 100% to only use 80% SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? Icon_smile

regs
ALan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?   SWing - how much spare current available for add on's? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SWing - how much spare current available for add on's?
Page 1 of 1