Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 5:50 pm

» noise under load
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Today at 4:16 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Today at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hassled for parking by police

Go down 
+8
joncallihan
dspevack
jimjotel
jdeereanton
Cosmic_Jumper
JeffR
Opalsboy
bigbird
12 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Hassled for parking by police Empty
PostSubject: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:39 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Big Bird... I feel your pain. BUT here in my area, if big blue says "in my opinion you are", I would say excuse me officer while I move my scooter. Would be a personal thing, but I remember the movie "Cool Hand Luke".
Just my two cents worth, and by the way, I am curious to know if there is an actual law against what you did. Probably not.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 4:18 pm

We have people parking m/c's on the sidewalks here in the San Francisco bay area (all over the bay area) and I never see a police give them tickets. But I'm sure they let them since there are so many cars that need parking spaces.

What I do when a police does this to me is:

I pull out fake plastic gun and shout: "You'll never take me alive cop-per" . Hassled for parking by police Icon_twisted

Just kidding...don't really do that. But the cop should have just told you to park in a space or leave it alone, IMO.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 4:32 pm

What it come down to here is that he didn't write you a ticket. He couldn't have b/c it's private property. He was bust'n your balls b/c you were offending his sense of authority & power.

Well, actually, he could have but you'd have to show up in court to get the ticket dismissed. That'd prove to be an even bigger PITA.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:25 pm

It may be that I will be showing my actual age here, although I'm not that much older than JeffR. I wouldn't park on the sidewalk even if it meant that I was taking a spot from an automobile.

There is just something about parking on the sidewalk that sticks in my throat. Even when the bike is strategically positioned so as not to block pedestrians, it is still not parked where it should be (my opinion and possibly that of a civil engineer and city planner).

Do I think the "Police Officer acted stupidly"? Or was acting out his Walter Mitty fantasies of gestapo like control? I have no clue. I do think the bike should have been in a legitimate space, then this is a non issue.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jimjotel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Sorry, but I agree with jdeer, I am 60 and i still wont park on sidewalks, thats why they have parking lots. Sorry but the cop did right. Just because you ride a scooter, it's not a bicycle, lol. Try to be courteous to the other public and just obey the rules.
Back to top Go down
http://jimtelford@bellsouth.net
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:16 pm

My response to a similar situation was:

"Officer, please educate me because I don't know which is proper ettiquette.
Parking here on the sidewalk out of the way of pedestrians and not taking up a spot that can be used by a car, or not taking up any sidewalk at all, but taking up a spot in a crowded parking lot that could have been used for a car."

Which do you think is more polite to others?"

Whatever he says, you say, "That's what I'll do from now on."
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:55 pm

I would not park on the sidewalk BECAUSE I would RATHER deprive a cage a parking spot. Hassled for parking by police Icon_flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 9:55 pm

just apologize and avoid any penalties and try it again at another location
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:04 pm

I'm with you Jon, LOL,

Here in Perth it is legal to park on the verge (Nature strip) but not on the footpath. Bikes/scooters can be booked for parking in car spaces. Bike parks are avail, but only short term and miles apart.
In Melbourne, bikes and scooters can be parked legally on the footpaths in the city center as long as they are not ridden on the footpath and they leave easy access for pedestrians. Melbourne generally has very wide footpaths, Perth has not.

Unfortunately if you put a uniform on some people they become over enthusiastic with their authority, best not to excite them and go along with them instead.

Bigbird could have asked BK if it was OK and then complained to the manager about being harrassed by said copper. BK manager may even have lodged the complaint to the cops as BK might just happen to want the business.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:11 pm

BigBird,

YUP...This is how it starts, next thing you'll want to get a "Born To Be Wild" tattoe and then join a 1% outlaw scooter club. Hassled for parking by police Affraid

Be carefull dude...Johnny Law has your number now. They'll be looking for you from now on.

Just kiding..Ride safe.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:35 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 11:22 am

In NY you can park where the bike racks are as long as you velcro your plates and take them when you park.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 12:12 pm

tankyuong wrote:
In NY you can park where the bike racks are as long as you velcro your plates and take them when you park.

That's sad.
Back to top Go down
creamcrackered
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 2:36 pm

in the UK, the only vehicle allowed on the public footpath is an invalids carriage, if you park on private property then it's a civil matter, so possible consequence is a private prosecution for trespass but cps not interested.

you could be clamped and even towed, with extortionate release charges, but again that's a civil matter. conversely if you were to remove the clamps that becomes a legal matter for criminal damage - so go figure?

i had my van clamped by bailiffs on my own drive, for an unpaid fine for my son. showed proof of ownership yet they would not release. had i ground off the clamp i could be held criminally responsible and even got a criminal record because the bailiffs overstepped the mark.

'justice' is always blind and more rarely fair, so unless you have a lot of money for courts - imo forget your legal principles.

just an observation, as a kid i parked a 125cc Yamaha motor bike on a really wide pavement against a wall, which ws part of the buildings private land, and where i had thought was well out of the way, only to return later and be told to my horror a partially sighted elderly local man had walked into it and pulled the bike over on top of him as he fell burning his leg and arm on the still hot exhaust and pot.

so not always so cut and dried about anyone's 'writes' imo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hassled for parking by police   Hassled for parking by police I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hassled for parking by police
Page 1 of 1