Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

upgrading the front compartments

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
jdeereanton
DennisB
7 posters
AuthorMessage

upgrading the front compartments Empty
PostSubject: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 3:40 pm

upgrading the front compartments Icon_question hello please can someone help me with an ongoing delemer, i have a mint condition 51plate silverwing ,and would love to upgrade the two pockets and suround with the upgraded a7 pockets and suround,am i able to do this without any problems ie straight forward transfer, the reason for me asking you this is im getting mixed answers from dealers,so if anyone knows it i hope it will be you.the reason i would love to do this, is the upgraded pockets have better catches etc, upgrading the front compartments Icon_smile manythanks steve.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Not that hard to do...Just takes money and time. upgrading the front compartments Suspect You can find all the parts you need on the Honda Dealers web sight.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:02 pm

I've done it -

Have 2 2005 SilverWings that were purchased new with the color matched dash. Following a post that Dan Spevack posted I created a spreadsheet to compare prices from various suppliers and ordered all of the parts (Service Honda was the least expensive at the time) and have swapped out all the 2005 parts with the 2007 parts. Not too hard, just took some time.

I'll look for the spreadsheet and if you e-mail me directly I can send it to you.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Welcome to the asylum Steve,

While I understand the gist of your question; With all due respect, what is a "51 plate" and what is "a7"?

Tim
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3798
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:54 pm

If Steve's in the UK, the '51 plate' refers to the Registration Number (License plate).

51 shows the year of registration - 1 September, 2001–28 February, 2002 (I think)

Last edited by MikeO on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Here is the link Dale was takling about.

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=1118
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Steve,

Welcome to the site. I hope all goes well with your project. What you might want to do to save money, is to ask what members here have the same color SWing as you, and then go remove their compartments. lol Just kidding. But welcome and hope you are an active member. We have lots of really good people here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks for that "51 Plate" explanation Mike.

Tim
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:03 am

A pleasure, Tim!

It's all in Wikipedia but the gist is:

Vehicles in the UK have a Registration Number (License Plate) which is obtained usually when said vehicle is purchased and put on the road.
The plate then belongs to the vehicle, not the owner, although he can keep it if it's a special number when he sells the vehicle. In that case, he has to obtain a new number for the vehicle and reregister his new vehicle with the number that he's kept (Still with me?).

In Belgium, and I think in the States, the driver/rider is issued with a number which he moves from one vehicle to the next.

The advantage of the UK system is that in most cases it's possible to tell roughly the age of the vehicle.

Numbers used usually to be three numbers and three letters.
When they ran out, an additional letter was added on the end; for example, my first car (1959) was RYH 309. My second (1965) was FYM 621C.
When that lot ran out, a letter was put on the front so my last car (1999) was S549 XPU.
Then that lot ran out so the year was denoted by two numbers followed by three letters but preceeded by two letters which denoted the area in which the vehcle was registered.
Thus my X9 (September, 2005) was KE55CJO. If I'd bought it in August that year it would have been KE51CJO. The change was done every six months instead of annually to ease the 'new registration' rush in September.

upgrading the front compartments Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 am

OK. Got it.

;-)

...I think

upgrading the front compartments Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: interested in utopia riders B/rest   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 5:28 pm

hi mikeO,hope u dont mind me asking where did u get your utopia riders B/rest and your cartech super mini tank very interested in getting hold of if possible manythanks again steve.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm

Hello, Steve.

Utopia Backrest from here:

http://www.utpr.com/

Cortech Super-Mini Tank Bag (NOT the magnetic one) from here:

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Super-Mini-Tank-Bag-p-142_31.html

I had to pay rather a lot of Import Duty/Tax on the backrest but none on the bag.......

....and no, I don't mind at all being asked; always pleased to be of assistance. upgrading the front compartments Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 5:50 am

The stupid thing about UK registration plates is that you can have an 'age related plate' that shows the wrong year. To clarify, registration 'years' i.e 09 (March 1st 2009 to August 31st 2009), 59 (September 1st 2009 to February 28th 2010), 10 (March 1st 2010 to August 31st 2010). In September 2010 the registration number will change to 60, this will last until March 2011. So if the vehicle is registered after Jan 1st 2011 it will show as a 60 plate. Only in March will the 11 plate come into being.
Why didn't they keep it simple and have the year on the plate that lasted for the whole year - British Civil Service for you!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 8:45 am

It was to divide the 'new plate' rush in two, to relieve the First-of-September chaos.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 10:19 am

Mike,

With current cars sales at a much lower level then the September rush isn't a major factor anymore. If the car manufacturers / DVLA want two six month periods each year why not January 1st and July 1st - or is that too simple for them? upgrading the front compartments Icon_smile

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 2:39 pm

January 1st is a Public Holiday in the UK so there'd be no-one to issue the paper-work, especially as may offices are closed from Christmas until then.

IIRC the suffix letter did come in on 1st January but it was changed, presumably for the reason I stated, to August. That year, 1967, the suffix letter, E, lasted only 8 months.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Mike,

I still say it is stupid that the plate can show an incorrect year.

(Just to be really pedantic in your post you say "Thus my X9 (September, 2005) was KE55CJO. If I'd bought it in August that year it would have been KE51CJO." In actual fact it would have been KE05CJO.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: upgrading the front compartments   upgrading the front compartments I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

upgrading the front compartments
Page 1 of 1