Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back Empty
PostSubject: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi!

My riding pal and I completed another of our mini-tours in late March.
This time from Batemans Bay in NSW to Walhalla in Victoria. This trip
covers some of what I think are the best riding roads in south-east
Australia.

Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back Day2e

You can click
here to read our ride report (or any of our previous reports); I
hope you enjoy it.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Peter,

Thanks for the great write up. I bet that was a really nice ride and wish I could do something like that. Can I ask you a question though? What kind of words are these:

"Yackandandah via Tangambalanga, Kiewa and Baranduda"

Do those names/words come from historical times in Australia? Hope I'm wording this right, because I don't want you to think it is offensive to ask, but it doesn't sound English. But the ride report was really nice and took some time to write it. So thanks for sharing it with all of us and glad you had a great time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 pm

JeffR wrote:
Can I ask you a question though? What kind of words are these:

"Yackandandah via Tangambalanga, Kiewa and Baranduda

Yackandandah (pronounced /ˈjækəndændə/)
Tangambalanga, (pronounced /ˈtænɡæmbəˌlæŋɡə/)

I was curious if the pronunciation was with or without the Aussie accent Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 2:15 am

JeffR wrote:
...What kind of words are these:

"Yackandandah via Tangambalanga, Kiewa and Baranduda"

Do those names/words come from historical times in Australia? ... I don't want you to think it is offensive to ask...

Jeff,

I don't mind you asking and its certainly not offensive. It would be my belief that they are Australian Aboriginal names. For example, click here to see the history of Yackandandah. Kiewa may not be an Aboriginal name but I'm not sure. My friend Mr Google probably knows.

Thanks for the kind words about the ride report. I like doing the rides, writing them up and reading other folks reports as well.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 2:22 am

honda_silver wrote:
Yackandandah (pronounced /ˈjækəndændə/)
Tangambalanga, (pronounced /ˈtænɡæmbəˌlæŋɡə/)

I was curious if the pronunciation was with or without the Aussie accent Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back Icon_razz

I would pronounce them:

Yak - and - dan - da
and
Tang - am - balanga

Both are words/phrases of the Jiatmathang people; the first one means "White pommies taste really good" while the second one means "Americans taste even better".

Hope that helps! Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back Icon_twisted

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 8:58 am

ROFLMAO pja you are a legend. BTW Walhalla was my old stamping ground
Pity its been modernised and all, last I heard they have lektrikery now.
The state govt of the day(late 80's) really stuffed up the proposed railway system, p ing off the volunteers. The original loco is still as far as I know in a shed in the backyard of someones house in Belgrave South. The original rly stn was transported to Hartwell at the end of the rush and was the local stn until some rsole burnt it down in the 80's. Did you get up to the cricket ground. back in the 60's and 70's the track up there was a test of endurance for the trailies.
We went up there annually with scout camps and just to veg out. I spent a couple of nights at Mauries Walhalla Hotel (original log hotel)
For our overseas freinds.. think of the Ozarks...LOL
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 9:32 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
The state govt of the day(late 80's) really stuffed up the proposed railway system, p ing off the volunteers. The original loco is still as far as I know in a shed in the backyard of someones house in Belgrave South...

Kurt,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a bit of a railways buff, serverd my apprenticeship at Tulloch Ltd in Sydney building locos and carriages. I got talking to the engine driver and the volunteers are still not happy but with the Toorak Tractor Drivers who "own" the management committee. They want to build lighter rolling stock and a few other initiatives to increase tourist revenue but management can't get its act together it seems. They do have the old steam engine going but don't use it often. There are plans to extend the line back from the Thomson River.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 am

Peter,

Thanks for the response. I like the "Americans taste even better" !! My wife is Dutch so when I hear something from other countries I like to learn about it. It just seems that lately...here in the states... that some get offended if you ask about culture or things like that. I lived in the midwest until I was 36, and now live in the San Francisco bay area, and work at a large corporation. I have been "called into the office" a few times, out here, when they heard me talking with others about the countries they are from, and their culture. There are many people out here that are quite sensitive.

So thanks for the reponse and for the write ups.

Bill,

Thanks for looking it up too but I'm not quite sure about the font you used. They are interesting words.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
madcatta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-16

PostSubject: Great trip report Peter   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 7:39 am

Peter, I'm new to this site but we have communicated previously on the silverwing site. I'm Canberra based with a Silverwing that I also purchased late last year from the Canberra dealer.That's a great report of your trip over the mountains - I'll utilise it to plan my own trip for later in the year.
Thanks
Madcatta
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:55 am

madcatta wrote:
Peter, I'm new to this site but we have communicated previously on the silverwing site. I'm Canberra based with a Silverwing that I also purchased late last year from the Canberra dealer.That's a great report of your trip over the mountains - I'll utilise it to plan my own trip for later in the year.

Welcome to the site; I find it very good. I live down at the Bay and am on the Atomic Scooter group's mailing list but have not yet attended any of their rides.

Do you get your 'Wing serviced in Canberra and if so who does it? I have used a local scooter shop but have been thinking of taking it up to Canberra.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 12:27 pm

PJA wrote:

There are plans to extend the line back from the Thomson River.

Yeah, the first time I rode to Walhalla the road was a single lane dirt track from Erica to the Thompson, and a brand spanking new road from the bridge into Walhalla. We camped at the rlystn/yard and met up with the then organisation that had plans well under way to run from the Thompsoon tresttle bridge back into the township, with further plans to bring it all the way up from Moe.That was 1968. Amazingly the original rly was just completed when the gold ran out and was primarilly used to take the town back out into civilised Gippsland. In the 70's Walhalla was "adopted" by one of the bikie(Rockers not outlaws in those days)mob and they kept the peace in town by keeping the rabble out. Strange history for such a strange backward little town. Last I heard it was all modernised with nice sanitary guest houses and hotels. Yuppies, right?
Back to top Go down
madcatta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-16

PostSubject: Canberra servicing   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi Peter, I've only done 3300k since I got the bike in November last year so servicing hasn't been an issue yet but I did utilize the Canberra dealer for the initial 1000k which from memory was about $180+ so they don't hold back on the cost! I will probably go back to them for the 6000k as well but I'll review my options after that. I have taken previous scooters that i purchased through Nico at Motorini in Phillip back there for all the servicing and was always very happy with the result and friendliness of the team so that also remains an option
I've done a trip across to the Bay on the bike prior to Christmas which i enjoyed very much so i'm planning a run to Melbourne next for a couple of months time just as soon as I recover sufficiently from a recent medical issue.
Cheers
Madcatta
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 11:50 pm

Hey Madcatta, dont forget to rug up for the Mel trip... CCCaaannnbbbrrrrrrrra and all. I s'pose Yass would be the go rather than Cooma?
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 3:52 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
...dont forget to rug up for the Mel trip... CCCaaannnbbbrrrrrrrra and all. I s'pose Yass would be the go rather than Cooma?

Kurt,

We Canberrans (I lived there for 30 years) are a hardy bunch. If I were going to Melbourne from Canberra in winter I would go via Cooma and the Alpine Way again and remove the wind shield before I left so I could enjoy the crisp mountain air Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back Icon_razz .

I think you folks over in WA get a bit soft with all the warm weather you have Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back Icon_lol !

Regards,
Peter Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back Lol
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 6:19 am

B S lolololol hahahahaha

Plenty of hot air in the Can, but the Snowies might test your metal after 30 years. thats why I moved here from Melb, so I can gloat. The AGM in Albany was superb and the weather was fantastic. I took the Swing and travelled with a couple of others. nice ride, nice scoot, nice company, what else could one ask for?

The Cheese n Kisses was staying in the Kiewa valley over the Oz day w/end. She visited Beechworth and most of the sights including the military museum at Bandiana. Nice collection of bikes there including an immaculate GR650. I went down to Albany.
Perfect way to have a holiday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back   Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Batemans Bay to Walhalla and back
Page 1 of 1