Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby Boating123 Today at 6:48 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

how fast do you ride when its real windy

Go down 
+8
"Hi Yo"
KurtPerthWA
The Scootist
jdeereanton
MOWing
honda_silver
MikeO
tankyuong
12 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

how fast do you ride when its real windy Empty
PostSubject: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 12:30 pm

We've been getting 40 to 50 mph winds and the fastest is between 60 to 70 mph indicated , any faster would make me leery about flying off the bike.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 pm

It rather depends on the direction of the wind relative to which direction I'm riding.
The motorway between here and Calais, the port I use to travel to the UK, runs parallel with and not far from the coast, in a NE/SW direction.
Since the prevailing wind is usually from the West/South-West and blows up the English Channel from the Atlantic, the ride down to Calais is usually pretty hairy so I tend to take it easy, especially when overtaking 40-tonne artics, whose bow-waves bounce of the central concrete barriers and create horrible turbulance.
Coming back, I could hoist a sail, turn off the engine and be home in no time.

Incidentally, I rarely listen to the Weather Forecast for Belgium on the radio here but tune into the BBC for the Shipping Forecast which includes Gale Warnings. If there are gales in the Channel we're in for a rough time!

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_Forecast
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 3:21 pm

tankyuong wrote:
We've been getting 40 to 50 mph winds and the fastest is between 60 to 70 mph indicated , any faster would make me leery about flying off the bike.

Since I ride almost every day ... I continue riding on strong (relative term) and gusty wind days.

On the gusty days, where the wind can slow down and then gust unpredictably, if the wind cross the SWing then I find I have more control "through" the wind gust ride to the otherside third of the lane where the wind is blowing from AND then lightly counter-constant steering left->right->left->right ... non-stop. I am still driving straight in about 18" of the lane (with an imaginary straight line in the middle). I am less susceptible to wind gust while the the SWing is in a constant cycle counter-steering. Try it how fast do you ride when its real windy Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
MOWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MOWing

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 5:37 pm

tankyuong it has been windy here. Buddy and I just go back form running to Tipton this afternoon to get a tire put on his Harley. Worst part was running across the wind on I70 But once we headed into it the gusts were more manageable. On the way back we were with the wind it all was good and actually pushed it a bit.

It is the gusts that get you. We had a couple of curves that upon entering the curve the wind was on one side and exiting the curve it was blowing on the other side. That was a little strange.

Have to say I am getting more comfortable with the cross wind. I have relaxed my grip and flow with the bike a bit (not fight it so hard) and it doesn't seem to be as bad.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 5:48 pm

In September of 2008 we rode from Jackson, MS north to Memphis, TN in the leading winds of Hurricane Gustav. Winds were very strong and often gusty, but mostly out of the West. We kept the speeds at or slightly above the posted speed limit for the entire trip all on US highways and state roads. Could have gone faster, but did not. It is wierd to look in the mirror and see Kim leaned over (into the wind) as we go straight down the road.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 6:10 pm

"I have relaxed my grip and flow with the bike a bit (not fight it so hard) and it doesn't seem to be as bad."

I think that's the key; in England we call it "soft hands", a cricketting expression for the way a player holds the bat.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Boy what a timely topic. Yesterday, I was pondering this exact issue while riding home in a 40 to 50 mph gusty cross wind that seemed to change directions. The wind would gust from left to right a few times, then suddenly it would gust from right to left. Needless to say, it made for a rather exciting ride. I was keeping my speed around 60 to 65 indicated and felt like I was getting pushed around quite a bit. But then when I was about to get off the interstate I had several cars to pass so I cranked it up about 80 indicated (~76 actual) and it felt much more stable at the higher speed. My bike seemed to slice through the gusts a lot smoother and without as much push to the side. It may have been partially due to the fact that I was leaning closer to the fairing and my body wasn't catching as much of the wind.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 5:35 am

I just ride like the wind.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
how fast do you ride when its real windy 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 5:54 am

When riding in a crosswind, be careful on overpasses. The wind can really gust in these situations and you'll find youself in another lane. I like the following winds. It really helps the mpg. how fast do you ride when its real windy 744535 how fast do you ride when its real windy 744535
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 3:19 pm

As a brand new rider almost two years ago, I got on the interstate for the first time and everything was just fine. Near the end of the day as I was near the exit I needed and in the left lane. There was a slight upward incline at the exit and just a moment before I was going to exit, a gust caught me off guard and I was swept through the right lane and almost off the shoulder. Scared the pee wadding out of me. Now, I stay prepared for that when on the freeway.. Yesterday the gusts were extremely strong so I avoided the freeway when possible. Still had some times of stress.
On a trip to Corpus Christi last year, I crossed the bridge between Corpus and Rock Port. Almost became the last day of my life. That wind was close to hurricane strength (seemed like to me anyway) and I could barely keep the bike upright. I finally pulled over to the far right and just sat there praying for a minute or two. Eventually I decided that the only way for me to get off that bridge was to just suck it up and go slow. Won't do that bridge again.

Riding with the wind will be one of those skills that you will have to learn on your own. Just slow down get to the side of the road if it is too bad. As you get more confidence, just like all the other things we learn to adjust to, you will know what is safe for you.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:08 am

Actually as you increase speed in a cross wind the relative wind moves forward so you have less of a direct cross wind and more of a headwind. It's the vector addition of the vehicle speed and the crosswind speed. About the only time I might reduce speed due to wind is on a wet or slippery road surface.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:17 pm

I admit that I do know a little about vector analysis and understand that the forward and cross wind factors may work out to being more of a headwind, BUT... there is a fear factor that I experience in a gale wind that makes my big butt pucker and I can't help but slow down and pull over to the side of the road. The occasional gust is less of a problem for me than the continual winds. I don't ride at all if I know the winds are going to be really bad. Just call me old and not ready to die.
BTW ... I have a scheduled parachute jump with three of my nephews in mid June. Maybe I WILL be ready to die by then. This is one of those tethered to the belly of a guy that knows when to pull the cord things.
Back to top Go down
La Moto Mota
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Ride with a stiff core and loose arms and believe it or not less/no windscreen helps too.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
BTW ... I have a scheduled parachute jump with three of my nephews in mid June. Maybe I WILL be ready to die by then.

Hopefully this is after the St Louis HAMS III rally how fast do you ride when its real windy Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 pm

I am doing the skydiving on June 19th... anyone want to contribute to an office pool on whether I bail out or chicken out?
Any of you done this before... can you take pictures while earth is approaching you from below?
Man, I having been this excited since I got married in 75.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Gee Gary, I better go to HAMS. This might be the last time I get to see or talk with ya. I was in the Army, but never went to jump school being an Engineer. I bet you'll be polluting the air BIG TIME on the way down! ONLY KIDDING! You'll have a GREAT Time. Have the Jump Master take a few pictures of you in the plane door. Sure sounds like fun!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
I am doing the skydiving on June 19th... anyone want to contribute to an office pool on whether I bail out or chicken out?
Any of you done this before... can you take pictures while earth is approaching you from below?

I thought you would be approaching the earth how fast do you ride when its real windy Icon_razz
If the earth approaches you from below .. we all could be in trouble. how fast do you ride when its real windy Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how fast do you ride when its real windy   how fast do you ride when its real windy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how fast do you ride when its real windy
Page 1 of 1