Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

NON Scooter Topic... cell phone

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

NON Scooter Topic... cell phone Empty
PostSubject: NON Scooter Topic... cell phone   NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:31 am

I just purchased the Droid smart phone and have spent a bunch of hours looking at all the apps for it. There is a great one that I found last night that I want to mention in case some of you are interested.

There is an app called Lookout. It is a free antivirus, backup and find a lost or stolen phone. Amazing little buggar.

If the phone is lost or stolen, you can locate it with a google map that shows where the phone is. If you want, you can send a siren sound that can be heard all over the place. I tried it last night and it is REALLY LOUD.

You will need some kind of data package to get the full benefit without spending a lot of money. But with a package of your choosing, this is going to be a very helpful thing to have.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: NON Scooter Topic... cell phone   NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:36 pm

I have considered upgrading to one of the newer phones, but am balking at the additional cost of two data plans. We don't have basic cable at our house because we just can't see the point of paying for the drivel that passes for entertainment through the TV.

I do like many of the features of the newer phones, but we have our laptop, 2 PALM Tx's (WiFi) and each have a phone and mp3 players. I guess a smart phone could lessen the load a bit - except all that we currently own are paid for and work just fine.

When traveling on the SilverWings - We use the laptop to process photos and video of each day and then to post our daily blog and vlog for our family. The photos are taken with a point and shoot Fuji Camera and video is shot using a Flip Video Camera. The Flip charges while we're down loading so no charger needed. We carry a charger for the camera and the laptop cord.

We use the PALM Tx as our address book. They stay charged for over a week so we usually do not take the chargers. We forward our home phone and daily use cel-phone calls to a throw-away cel-phone (Nokia 1600 - just a phone, not even a camera) that gets excellent reception most every where we've been. So only have to take one charger.

Usually we leave the mp3 players at home, but if for some reason we take them with us they charge off of the laptop so no charger needed.

We do carry the charging stations for our blue tooth bike to bike radios.

We use maps so no GPS charger needed.

What electronics do y'all travel with and how do you use them?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: NON Scooter Topic... cell phone   NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm 72+. Electronics stay home when I'm on the road. I have a "free" digital cell phone (Verizon) about 12 years old. That is it -- with any luck I can call home if need be (kinda like ET? NON Scooter Topic... cell phone Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: NON Scooter Topic... cell phone   NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Dale, Since you like to use maps and who the hell don't...I installed a compass on the SWing. It's made by a company called RITCHIE. They have been making compasses for over 150 years. It has a small 12V LED and lights up so a person can see it at night.

Model # RitchieSport X-10-M

I looked at the compasses at WalMart and a few other stores and got false reading from most. This Ritchie is very accurate dosn't jump around or get bubbles in it. It comes with a 5 year warrenty.

http://www.ritchienavigation.com/catalog/search.jsp?search=X-10-M&imageField.x=8&imageField.y=28

Here's a couple of pictures:

From the drivers seat.
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone Compas10

From top, looking through the wind screen.
NON Scooter Topic... cell phone Compas11

By the way...I just couldn't see the GPS during the daytime hours. I can see the compass just fine.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: NON Scooter Topic... cell phone   NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:13 pm

Looked for a similar program to lookout for the iphone. Couldnt find one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NON Scooter Topic... cell phone   NON Scooter Topic... cell phone I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NON Scooter Topic... cell phone
Page 1 of 1