Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cell phone mount

Go down 
+4
john grinsel
Meldrew
Erdoc48
gunmantom
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gunmantom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-08-11

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 19, 2023 8:40 pm

Looking for suggestions for a cell phone mount 2012 SW. No room on the handlebars as far as I can see. I appreciate any and all help.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 19, 2023 9:10 pm

What you can consider is to cut ~ 1” off the lateral edge of the handlebar plastic with a Dremel and then you have space on the bar for something like a Tackform mount (and I would recommend a vibration free type mount to avoid damaging the phone camera). Once installed, you’ll never miss that piece of plastic.
Back to top Go down
gunmantom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-08-11

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 19, 2023 9:40 pm

Sounds like a good idea, thank you
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2023 3:28 am

You don't need to cut anything, the optimum space to fit a holder for a cell phone or GPS/sat nav holder is the space centre of the handlebars.

In my Silver Wing years I had a DennisB sat nav mount, which was a plate with a hole on either side with a RAM ball mounted in the centre. You removed the two cap head screws in the centre of the handlebar console and fitted the plate using two longer screws.

Then using a RAM arm and another RAM mount fitted to the phone case or sat nav, you just tightened and adjusted the RAM arm to position the phone or sat nav.

As I had the FJS Silver Wing it had a 12v socket in the left side glove box to power my Garmin in it's Touratech holder.

I used this set up for years with no problems, I'm typing this from memory but a few minutes using the Search on here will show posts and pics of centrally mounted GPS mounts DennisB style.

You can also purchase a plate with a RAM ball that fits on top of the left or right brake fluid reservoir. Unless you have a very light phone or GPS set up I wouldn’t recommend using one.

I tried one for a while and it was rubbish, the weight of a RAM arm and the phone or GPS in it's cradle, plus road movement puts a lot of strain on the finely threaded screws and loosen the top of the reservoir. Longer screws are provided with the plate and even using them the top works loose.

This happened to me on a trip to Germany, the one time I used my Garmin set up on the brake reservoir. It would work loose every couple of hours and I'd have to stop to tighten it. Fed up with this I solved the problem using zip ties and electrical tape.

When I got back home I removed the offending item and went back to using the RAM mount between the handlebars.

I still use the same RAM arm and Garmin / Touratech set up on my Forza 300 but the set up is a lot simpler. In the centre of the handlebars is a plastic cover with the Honda logo, it snaps off to reveal a RAM ball I mounted with a single screw. When not using the Garmin I snap the cover back in place.

Like I mentioned earlier there's a lot of topics on fitting GPS, cell phone, and even cupholders if you rummage through the Accessories topics.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2023 7:56 am

your pocket----pay attention to riding
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2023 8:23 am

Totally agree with John's comment, using Bluetooth correctly there is no need at all for your phone to be at the risk of weather, damage, distraction or being mugged @ traffic lights.(depending on age of bike your phones probably worth more.

Be safe, be seen!

Ps. GPS dictation is more accurate than waiting for a screen refresh in poor signal areas.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2023 3:12 pm

I couldn't find a suitable place for a display holder which suited my line of vision while keeping all the instruments in view. It always got in the way of something. IMO the SW doesn't have a place so keeping the device in your pocket and using audio makes more sense; apart from the fact that you are on two wheels.

There are a multitude of device holders out there so it's a case of finding one which suits your needs, but some kind of surgery on the bike will probably be necessary if you want it in an 'ideal' spot.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Not so, when I traded in my Silver Wing for my Forza in 2018, It only took a couple of minutes to unscrew and remove the DennisB sat nav mount from the centre of my handlebars and replace the two original cap head screws back in position. You wouldn't have known that anything had been mounted there for years.

DennisB was a long time member from across the Pond when I joined back in 2010, and he made home made quality accessories for the Silver Wing. Apart from his sat nav/GPS mount which was highly prized by members, he also made a wiring mod for connecting electrical stuff which were popular, and a few sets of well engineered passenger armrests. He hasn't posted anything for years though.

The advantage of a RAM ball fitted between the handlebars is when you clamp any accessory to it with a RAM arm, there's enough up and down adjustment to prevent an obscured view of the Silver Wing’s instrument panel.

As for mobile/cell phones I keep mine in my pocket, the only thing I want coming into my helmet speakers are sat nav instructions, or back in the day the odd conversation with Mrs M.

( By the way that weird looking green scooter which I'm using as my avatar is the Honda FBS 400 from the late 1990's It was supposed to be Honda's flat twin big scooter replacement for the Honda CN250 Helix.

It appeared in a few scooter magazines pre-internet and a couple of trade shows, then it disappeared and we got the FJS/FSC Silver Wing instead.)

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2023 4:38 pm

Honda Flat Twin scooter---Honda also made flat twin scooter late 50's early 60's. I do not think much of a hit-----Last one I saw was in junkyard about 1970, Tachikawa, Japan.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 8:25 am

I had a DennisB GPS mount on my Silverwings and agree that it was/is ideal.

Back to top Go down
genius149
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2022-05-16

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2023 7:10 pm

I've got a generic phone holder from ebay and it bolts on just nicely as part of my LH mirror mount.
Cell phone mount Qe6G2tB
I'll see if I can get a better picture tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cell phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cell phone mount   Cell phone mount I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cell phone mount
Page 1 of 1