Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Silverwing Brakes
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 11:57 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» LF extended back rest
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bought one in Burbank

Go down 
+3
Waspie
"Hi Yo"
honda_silver
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Bought one in Burbank Empty
PostSubject: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:19 am

I'd been looking for a used scooter and this '04 Silverwing caught my eye when I saw it for sale on Craigslist. It's been fun to ride around on locally but I'm still a novice rider at best and the weight of this bike takes some getting used to, at least for me. I took a few pics today after a short ride. So far, so good!Bought one in Burbank Silver13Bought one in Burbank Silver14Bought one in Burbank Silver15Bought one in Burbank Silver16
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:47 am

wildcrafter wrote:
I'd been looking for a used scooter and this '04 Silverwing caught my eye when I saw it for sale on Craigslist. It's been fun to ride around on locally but I'm still a novice rider at best and the weight of this bike takes some getting used to, at least for me. I took a few pics today after a short ride. So far, so good!

Welcome to the SWing world ... it is a great start. It would be helpful to take a Motorcycle Safety course.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Bought one in Burbank 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 3:43 am

Nice scoot and welcome to the forum. It will get lighter as you become more familiar with it. Just take it slow and easy at first and enjoy the ride. Bought one in Burbank 744535 Bought one in Burbank 744535
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 7:26 am

Hi and welcome.

I too took a short while to get used to the Silver Wing. The weight is different to my previous ride but I am used to it now. Moving the SW when engine stopped is easier than it looks. It is well balanced and I found even easier to place on the centre stand than my previous scooter.

Enjoy the SW it is a remarkable machine and for me, makes commuting to work a pleasure.

Ride safe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 7:58 am

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Is that Burbank, California? Looking at your pictures it looks like someone did a little custom work on the rear seat. Bought one in Burbank Icon_smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 8:26 am

Yes, that is Burbank, California. I live in West Hollywood though. That's just where I bought the scooter. The previous owner bought that custom seat to accomodate his small dog who used to ride inside the cargo area.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 am

I was raised in SFV, Northridge until the 1994 earth quake. I moved to Oklahoma shortly after. I think the person who owned that scooter was a member on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 9:43 am

DennisB wrote:
I was raised in SFV, Northridge until the 1994 earth quake. I moved to Oklahoma shortly after. I think the person who owned that scooter was a member on this forum.

I have memories of a forum member from that neck of the planet who modified his seat for his pooch.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 11:46 am

Waspie wrote:
I have memories of a forum member from that neck of the planet who modified his seat for his pooch.

That is this SWing ( https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/chihuahua-dog-modification-update-pix-are-here-t876.htm#7917 )
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Bill, You have a good memory...Yea, that's the one!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:15 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Waspie wrote:

That is this SWing ( https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/chihuahua-dog-modification-update-pix-are-here-t876.htm#7917 )

All hail the Forum Memory Man! :not worthy:
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Waspie wrote:
All hail the Forum Memory Man!

Persistent Forum searching ...
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Waspie wrote:
All hail the Forum Memory Man!

Persistent Forum searching ...

Bill, you have infinitely more patience than I.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Yes, that's the same bike, same guy, same dog. It's cool to get to see all the pics of it being made. That really is a custom! I don't think he ever had a plug made for it though because I didn't get one. I got the impression he didn't want to sell it but circumstances dictated its liquidation. I am glad to have it and I'm sure I'll get better as a rider as time goes on.

Upon recent inspection I've noticed the tires seem to be rather worn. Any suggestions on what I might replace them with would be appreciated! Bought one in Burbank 186319
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:56 pm

wildcrafter Welcome to the forum.
Next time from what I've read hear I believe I will go with Pirelli Diablos.
Hear is a link found under accessories.It may help.

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-links-for-parts-and-accessories-f6/tires-galore-t1182.htm

Roger
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 7:56 am

wildcrafter,

Welcome to the forum.

Best tires? Kind of like asking why blue is so ...well blue?

Best ones are the ones that last the longest, are the stickiest, give the best mpg, fit your budget, fit the bike.

The Bridgestone Hoops and IRC are OEM. Pirelli and Michelin are popular and I think that Metzlers are now available in the states. Dunlop makes many motorcycle tires and is a good company. they did have a problem with some tires made in Thailand that did not meet the speed rating needed on the SilverWing.

Congratulations on the purchase. Get rid of the seat. I own a dog, but dogs don't really belong on bikes, unless they (the dogs) are named Toto and are carried in a little basket. We discuss safety ad-nauseum and yet no one really commented on how inherantly unsafe carrying a live animal (no matter the size) on a scooter could be.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 am

Welcome to you Wildcrafter. Did the dog come with the bike? I have told hundreds of people about that seat. Don't you dare get rid of it. That is a classic.
Dale, how can you suggest that dogs don't "belong" on a scooter. Are you saying that humans do "belong" on a scooter. You chauvinist speciest pig you. Cool
Here in my state there are dogs riding in pick up trucks with their heads out, wind flapping their ears. I have even met some that the dog is standing on the tool box in the bed peeking over the cab. I met one with a big German Shepherd standing on top of the cab. I admit that all of these sightings were before the mandatory seat belt law went into effect.
Wildcrafter, IMHP as long as the dog doesn't drive, you should be ok.

Speaking of Toto... anyone remember the last name of Dorothy?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:48 am

Gary,

I think (in spite of evidence to the contrary) that most humans are a bit more predictable. A dog of sufficient mass on the pillion seat can really cause some squirelly movement. The risk to others is as much to be considers as the risk to oneself. I know it's cool to have your dog bouncing around on top of the tool box, but why should I have to suffer for your coolness if that thing flies out in an accident and comes through my windscreen? When it comes to common sense and putting humans at risk I am a specieist - humans win hands down!

wildcrafter - sorry about the hijack. A good upholstry shop should be able to graft in a hard piece and recover that obnoxious hole in your pillion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 am

No worries, it's just friendly discussion. I went ahead and ordered the Pirelli Diablos as they've been recommended by so many on this site and others. I have no intention of replacing the seat right away. It's plenty comfortable and I won't be taking a passenger until I get my M1 license. I have to admit I really liked the dog and she was such a tiny thing I doubt she would have been much of a distraction even if she tried. She seemed to love the scooter too.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:46 am

Dale,,, that was another of my botched attempts at humor... that is gonna be the last.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 10:17 am

Gary, Those that know you, Know your humor. Please...don't make it your last attemp!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 12:11 pm

No big deal... I am not even funny to myself anymore... too old and worn out I guess.... I am going to stay around... I love this forum too much... and there is always Kurt... I enjoy his humor so... starting to read books more. Gotta keep the mind exercised.
Weather is great today... Deb and I are going on an all day ride to see the grandkids. Scooting is good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 7:09 pm

The weather was nice here too. I went out to buy an armored jacket I saw on craigslist and it was a good excuse to go for a ride. I think I'm getting better at this! Bought one in Burbank Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 6:34 am

Gary,

No offence here. Sorry if my response was a tad cold. I got your humor, and was not attempting to scold you. Maybe my response was too edgy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:58 am

Deb and I are going on an all day ride to see the grandkids. Scooting is good

Gary I second the long ride. I get off this boat in three days and I think that a good ride will make things a lot better. Sometimes a ride makes the outlook a lot brighter. I sure enjoy and apreciate everyone on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bought one in Burbank   Bought one in Burbank I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bought one in Burbank
Page 1 of 1