Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Possible Purchase

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
landisr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2024-04-06

Possible Purchase Empty
PostSubject: Possible Purchase   Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2024 9:20 am

Greetings from the Valley Of The Sun. I come from an extensive Gold Wing background, and am contemplating buying a 2004 S'wing, with 21k. It appears to have been very well maintained. He has replaced the fluids, tires, etc.

My concerns basically involve the mods he has done, such as:

"Power Commander (with laptop)
Lighter variator slider weights (faster spool)
Delkovic slip on exhaust (DB Killer included)
K & N filter pod (replaces stock airbox)
Hyperpro front progressive fork springs
Ram Mount cellphone holder
Larger Clearview Shield for better aero
Backrest
Etc."

He basically has 'beefed it up to be a little sportier'. The work appears to be well done. However, he has all the stock parts to return it to stock condition. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happy with the noise (and he says it pops a little on trailing throttle, with a smile). He is an adult (40s? 50s?) so I don't get the impression he has abused the bike. I am after comfort, quiet, and maximum mpg. So my question is: Would it be relatively easy to return it to 'normal'? I maintain my other bikes, ie timing belts etc on my GL1500. But I am a total newbie when it comes to weights, rollers, variators, Power Commander, etc. He would include his nice looking homemade tool to 'lock' the clutch (?) for maintenance "down there".

So,,, how much is involved overall? Can someone who knows the difference between a torque wrench and a socket set tackle this in a day or two? He would include a Honda manual for a 2002, and YouTube is my friend. I am also obviously comfortable pestering gurus on forums, being a member on 6 and counting. Hopefully some day I might be able to contribute in return.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, concerns, questions, advice, suggestions or ?

Ron in AZ
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Possible Purchase Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Purchase   Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2024 2:46 pm

OK, I can answer for the following:
-Power Commander- no idea as I don’t have one on my 03
-lighter sliders: If OEM rear spring and 26 GM sliders, this will improve the acceleration and lower rpm when at highway speeds (by a few hundred rpm- these still rev pretty high at 70 mph or so, like 5400 rpm)- it’s a nice upgrade and I would keep it the way it is
-Delkevic exhaust- I have one and am very pleased with it- maybe slightly more dB on acceleration and slight decel burble, but at steady speed, really no difference between the Delkevic and OEM
-HyperPro Springs: VERY worthy upgrade- I just installed these on my SWing and used 5W Amsoil Shock Therapy fluid- very stable ride, no ‘crashiness’ over bumps and handles very well- take the OEM parts, but leave the better springs installed
-The K&N filter- not sure, personally, I have a HiFlo Filtro filter to use and will likely just keep mine OEM, but not to disparage the upgrade
-Clearview shield: I have one and the only thing I wish I did when I ordered it is get it slightly taller (but I have a cheap eBay extender on it, so now it blocks the wind well). The OEM shield by comparison (in my opinion) is inferior.
-Backrest, if elevated, likely won’t push you forward as much- I removed mine and ride without it- added some foam padding over the hard points of the seat and covered the whole seat with a mesh cover, so it looks very OEM- I can extend my legs quite a bit and ride for hours comfortably.
-Phone holder: I don’t use one myself, so it’s a personal choice.

Overall the prior owner did some very good upgrades and I would leave them as is (you have to decide for yourself OEM muffler vs Delkevic, but if he’s giving you all the old parts, you’re all set for comparing the sound- personally I like the tone of mine).

Good luck with the new bike if you buy it.

EDIT: I didn’t mention I have 2 Honda ST1100s, and although the scoot is a different beast, I find it quite easy to work on, even easier than the STs (which really aren’t that difficult either). Just ask when the last services were done, including the drive belt- that requires a swap every 16K miles (I did mine shortly after I bought mine- low mileage but 20 years old at the time- done in about 1.5 hour, so pretty easy).
Back to top Go down
landisr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Possible Purchase Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Purchase   Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2024 4:33 pm

Thanks for that! I did indeed buy it. All fluids have been changed, OEM, as was the drive belt.  He put the DB Killer in before I test rode it, and I think I may wait a bit before going back to stock.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm an excited 78 YO kid...

I will post a pic when I figure out how to attach as I learn navigation here.

Thanks again.

Ron
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Possible Purchase Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Purchase   Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2024 8:23 am

Congratulations on the purchase! Sounds like you found a good one. As to the mods, they are sound IF you like them, my 2012 is nearly stock except for a taller windshield and I love it. Much easier to drive around town than a Gold Wing and not bad on the freeway.

Anyway greetings from Bullhead City!
Back to top Go down
Rzor93
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Rzor93

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2024-04-05

Possible Purchase Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Purchase   Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 3:07 am

landisr wrote:

Greetings from the Valley Of The Sun.  I come from an extensive Gold Wing background, and am contemplating buying a 2004 S'wing, with 21k.  It appears to have been very well maintained.  He has replaced the fluids, tires, etc.

My concerns basically involve the mods he has done, such as:

"Power Commander (with laptop)
Lighter variator slider weights (faster spool)
Delkovic slip on exhaust (DB Killer included)
K & N filter pod (replaces stock airbox)
Hyperpro front progressive fork springs
Ram Mount cellphone holder
Larger Clearview Shield for better aero
Backrest
Etc."

He basically has 'beefed it up to be a little sportier'.  The work appears to be well done.  However, he has all the stock parts to return it to stock condition.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happy with the noise (and he says it pops a little on trailing throttle, with a smile).  He is an adult (40s?  50s?) so I don't get the impression he has abused the bike.  I am after comfort, quiet, and maximum mpg.  So my question is:  Would it be relatively easy to return it to 'normal'?  I maintain my other bikes, ie timing belts etc on my GL1500.  But I am a total newbie when it comes to weights, rollers, variators, Power Commander, etc.  He would include his nice looking homemade tool to 'lock' the clutch (?) for maintenance "down there".

So,,,  how much is involved overall?  Can someone who knows the difference between a torque wrench and a socket set tackle this in a day or two?  He would include a Honda manual for a 2002, and YouTube is my friend.  I am also obviously comfortable pestering gurus on forums, being a member on 6 and counting.  Hopefully some day I might be able to contribute in return.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, concerns, questions, advice, suggestions or ?

Ron in AZ
congrats it's nice to see someone from the forum picked it up. When you have time post a video of that exhaust sound. Kinda been on fence on to get one or not.
Back to top Go down
landisr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Possible Purchase Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Purchase   Possible Purchase I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 11:20 am

Thanks for the welcome. I will study the tutorials on navigation here to post a pic and vid. First I will post an intro.

Ron
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Possible Purchase Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Purchase   Possible Purchase I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible Purchase
Page 1 of 1