Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Low Mileage Less Valuable????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
docbarber4
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2024-04-05

Low Mileage Less Valuable???? Empty
PostSubject: Low Mileage Less Valuable????   Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 8:42 am

Hello all. I’m Joe B, out in west Texas, although I move around quite a bit for work. Proud owner of my 2nd Swing. Currently riding an ‘04, with 46k miles; all stock, no mods or upgrades, just the rear helmet trunk. Love riding. Used to ride “traditional bikes”, but sold my Victory a few years back, in favor of maxi-scooters. Actually got into them during COVID when I was traveling for work and homeschooling the kids; we had a 40ft 5th wheel, and traveled the country a bit. I’d load up the Swing in the back, so we’d have 2 “vehicles” whenever we parked the rig for a bit.

Anyway, most of my riding has been just for puttering around town, to/from work, shopping, errands, etc. However, I’m interested in getting into some short distance “touring” riding, probably just long day trips to start, and go from there.

My question, I’m thinking about buying another Swing, “newer” with more life on it, to give me more years on the same Swing. I’m checking out a ‘13 model with less than 3k miles ($5200); and a couple other ‘13s, similar mileage and price. I’m comfortable with repairs, try to do my own maintenance, and not just engine oil; researching the other oils and things I should change or service, and waiting for a new drive belt to come in and change that out on my own just because I don’t have a good service history for the one I’m on and still fear being far from home and the damn thing snaps because it’s same one they put on in the factory!!! A new one would just give a reset point!

I saw a post that someone mentioned “low mileage makes it less valuable”. What’s up with that???? What am I missing? Is this to suggest that someone may have larked it and neglected it, and allowed things to lock up/seize/rust, etc? I realize it’s all a big risk, and a bunch of unknowns anytime you buy a 10 year scooter or vehicle that has limited service and owner history. Not super worried about the cost of minor repairs. My goals are mainly 2 fold; buy 1 rig now, that I can hang on to for a while and ride for the next 10 years, or when it’s time to ride it off a cliff, and a little more reassurance and dependability on long rides. Plus it would be fun to have 2, 1 for me and 1 for my kids to learn on and beat up!!

Looking for experience and wisdom, but also open to opinions! Share it if you got it!
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Low Mileage Less Valuable????   Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 12:37 pm

Personally, I’m not certain low mileage is a bad thing…also depends how it was stored- the only time it’s bad is if the fuel has separated (ethanol blend) that rots the gas tank (or in a bike with carbs, the carbs are all gummed up from fuel varnish). Mine had 4800 miles when I bought it (an 03)- started and ran fine but needed a little cosmetic work and I did all the maintenance tasks (including new belt) up front. Now, I just ride it and don’t worry until it’s time for oil changes. Mine had the original coolant in it that looked as new when I drained and refilled it. If from a dealer, $5200 is a little on the higher side of price, however, if it’s pristine and you’re OK paying the price, I really see no issues. Any used vehicle is less likely perfect, just make it as perfect as you want it to be. I cycle mine with 2 other bikes, so the SWing gets used regularly. Best thing for any engine is to use it.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Low Mileage Less Valuable????   Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 2:03 pm

Welcome aboard the board docbarber4. Price is market specific and only you can determine what's fair and the "going rate" in your region. The USD $5,200 amount would be an insanely high price to pay in my market (good supply and very low demand).

Keep in mind any used vehicle purchase comes with risks. Personally I like buying low mileage units even knowing that the rubber, plastic and fluids bits can suffer from underuse more so than one with higher mileage. But that's just me.

Good deals can be found ... patience is required. If you miss one, there's always another one around the corner. That's my experience anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low Mileage Less Valuable????   Low Mileage Less Valuable???? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Low Mileage Less Valuable????
Page 1 of 1