Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
drive belts I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

drive belts

Go down 
+4
MikeO
Meldrew
Loosemarbles
cello33
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

ok i have a confession , mine was last changed at 22k approx 4 years ago and now its showing 52k , i have inspected the belt several times and its still looking sweet , checked the belt for cracks and worn teeth ,thickness and it appears to have little wear.

i ride mainly one up , no drag starts and generally dont rev it above 5k . use the bike all year round about 8-10 k a year , i always use genuine honda belts as well btw.

i plan to give the old swinger a freshen up in the next few weeks , oil and filter, brake pads , might sort the leaking grommets out and inspect the bell hub shoes/clutch as thats all standard as well.

i guess i'm easy on the motor and only way 13 stone so having some mechanical sympathy is now paying off.

anyone else done any more miles on one belt i wonder ......

cheers all
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

There are stories of belts lasting longer than the 16,000 miles recommended by Honda, but in my opinion, you're taking a chance if you go beyond that mileage.

Despite the amount of abuse they may take, a visual inspection doesn't show you what happening inside the structure. Belt failure in any machine can be catastrophic so just fit a new one and keep an eye on its mileage.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

I've read a few posts from owners on other forums that went a few thousand miles above the recommended belt change mileage on their maxi scooters and got complacent about it. Only to have the belt suddenly break and shred itself inside the casing when they were riding on motorways.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

A friend of mine had an 'overdue' belt break on his X9 when on a trip in France.
It cost him a fortune to get the bike back home.

I have belts changed as per the manufacture's specification, both the make of belt and the time.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2024 8:54 am

The cost to replace the drive belt at home (if you are slightly inclined) is fairly cheap and easy. Being on a trip and far from home and have a belt failure is NOT a good or cheap thing! Play it safe and replace the belt, I did the Forza belt after watching a video on YouTube. Not hard. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am

In my opinion it's better to be safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2024 11:02 am

thanks and all worthy comments and noted, belts are about 100 uk pounds so not cheap as such but yes if they break could take out other components. the design of the final drive in the swinger is very good though and as such i dont think a rear wheel lock up is very possible which is my primary concern spesh as i commute on uk crowded motorways.

i have another confession about my car's timing belt and that really is a worry, i rarely rev that past 2k being a diesel and that has to be 50k over and/or 8 years over due. i rarely use my car but know the potential risks here, its gonna happen this year as i have the gates kit ready and waiting since 2017 mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 pm

The usual consequence of a SW losing its belt is a free-wheeling bike. The belt will generally wrap itself around the front pulley and stall the engine. You will need to brake to a halt but you'll have no engine braking. The rear pulley will stop rotating immediately and leave the rear wheel free.

As for your car...change the belt!  nopity
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 pm

yes car will be done , as for swinger she really is a heavy weight , i guess if i had to i could push her home which could be 24 miles away, may take ame a few days though ;0
Back to top Go down
welshman in canada
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2023-09-03

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2024 11:13 am

Having been a mechanic all my life,change the belt. As mentioned previously it may look ok but you don'know.
As for your car you are playing with fire my friend. When that belt snaps valves meet pistons and your engine is totally wrecked. Probably means scrapping the car.
Charlie
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2024 11:56 am

with over 200,000 miles experience with rubberband drive scooters---an only one belt failure underway---i always had new/fresh bikes, always trading at the 50,000 mile mark----really never inspecting belts, just changing at 15,000 mile intervals----always oem belts---I hate to walk.... Now that SilverWings are old bikes---old belt just change! unless you like to walk and have extra expense!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: drive belts   drive belts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

drive belts
Page 1 of 1