Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Drive belts I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drive belts

Go down 
+19
cotetoi
Cammy
RazorbackUofA
Greysilver
Mech 1 twa
The Bern
ericclapham
Sidewinder Pilot
MikeO
Scootypuff Snr
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
Flyingpanman
ItBeMe
Dale N.
cube
GHM-PM
oldwingguy
lewjayjr
23 posters
AuthorMessage
lewjayjr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-11-02

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 1:42 am

Did a search for a replacement drive belt for my 02 Swing. Found them from $45 up to $110. Some were kevlar. Not sure what to go with.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 am

OEM is what I use, remembering Honda doesn't make parts they order them manufactured to their spec, from filters to belts to whatever. Enter belts in the Search box.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 7:36 am

This is where I get mine from. A bit more than $45.00 but is the OEM belt and most on here say stay with a Honda OEM on this.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/23100-MCT-003
Back to top Go down
cube
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2018-06-14

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm

$115 - pretty steep! Makes me wonder if I should wait for a failure or just go ahead and replace the 11 year old one im my swing.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 2:11 pm

cube wrote:
$115 - pretty steep!  Makes me wonder if I should wait for a failure or just go ahead and replace the 11 year old one im my swing.

That is up to you. But personally I would not trust an 11 year old belt very far... Plus I take 1-2K trips and want the best belt I can get in there.
Back to top Go down
cube
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Yeah, you're right and I know that is the right thing to do.  Wishful thinking out loud, I guess  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 pm

cube wrote:
$115 - pretty steep!  Makes me wonder if I should wait for a failure or just go ahead and replace the 11 year old one im my swing.

When I bought my 08 SWing from my sister in FL it had been sitting under a tarp for two years. The tires were weather cracked, the battery was stone dead. I figured that the belt had been sitting there all that time also so I changed it just to be safe. It measured and looked good but I didn't want to take that chance. A good belt sure is better than pushing it or walking down the road for help.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 8:09 am

But when you buy a new belt, how long has it been setting on the shelf. I really don't think these belts break down just setting indoors or covered.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 8:16 am

Here in the UK, I fitted a "Gates" belt around 1k. miles ago. Although a slightly different cross section to OEM, I've had no problems so far and may even have improved performance slightly (just a "seat of the pants" guess).

Worth a try at the price.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 8:25 am

ItBeMe wrote:
But when you buy a new belt, how long has it been setting on the shelf. I really don't think these belts break down just setting indoors or covered.

That might be true but I just didn't want to take a chance.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 11:25 am

lewjayjr wrote:
Did a search for a replacement drive belt for my 02 Swing. Found them from $45 up to $110. Some were kevlar.  Not sure what to go with.

Hmm scratch... Maybe you could be our Test Pilot for that $45 belt. Let's see; you could buy that $45 belt and do a nice long test ride. But you should probably buy two of those belts for the time when the one you're using leaves you stranded. Kind of tough pushing the scoot to a safe area to wait for a tow. And less than a whiz-bang-fun time doing a roadside belt change too.

So then you are in the cheap belt game for $90. Or $45 + the cost of a tow if you only bought one cheap belt. Then you will inevitably turn around and order that $110 OEM belt --which is kevlar, BTW. So what have you saved?  

Do let us know how you get on with this. We all benefit from shared information

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 11:50 am

Unless you like walking/expenses for tow, etc. OEM belt is only way to go---my experience with 2 new SilverWings, 90,000 miles----I changed belts at 15,000 miles and left drive line stock=never walked. And there is always the danger or belt breaking underway and getting run down.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm

I'm an oem fan when it comes to belts and such like as initial cost may seem steep but the cost of recovery, mechanical failure is an expense you hopefully won't need to ever find out.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 3:28 pm

The OEM belts have Kevlar in.

That other suppliers say they are Kevlar is a sales gimmick.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 pm

I've been using both Honda OEM, and GBoost Technology (Erlandson) and find no basis is the belief that if it's not a Honda packaged (Mitsuboshi) belt it will break and leave you stranded.

I just changed an Erlandson GBoost belt that I've been running for almost 30,000 miles, I inspected every 8,000 miles and there was very little wear compared to a new one. There is no evidence of delamination or heat damage, and it feels just as flexible as the new one.

Before this one, I had alternated between the Honda and GBoost, and It seams the GBoost wears better. As far as using a Gates, that is a "well it fits" situation, I would NOT use one!

GBoost makes replacement OEM spec belts for LOTS of equipment/vehicles, ATVs, Snowmachines and Scooters.

I will continue using them just knowing that they wear better....The price is just a side benefit!

The direct sales price is something like $108+tax and shipping, but if you look on Amazon and Ebay you can find for $80 with free shipping. Mine was under $80 and arriver in a week.

Best ebay price for Honda OEM is around $120 including shipping from Honda of Toledo's ebay store.

http://www.gboosttechnology.com/
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 pm

Yeah, but the eBay Erlandson Technology belt listing caveat says that there is a 1/2" difference in belt lenght (vs OEM) and that can effect "clutches and shifting".

IIRC you've previously noted that you ride your Silverwing hard. Yet you see no difference?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Yes, I run her hard and heavy!affraid So, if there was a problem with belt life or reliability, it would have shown up a long time ago. Also, I forgot to mention there was very little rubber dust in the cover.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 10:16 pm

When I first looked into them a couple years ago I saw that, then I read carefully ... what it said is most other replacement belts can vary by a half an inch.....But it states that the GBoost belt are within .020", which is really good for something like a belt.

http://www.gboosttechnology.com/Scooter_Belt_for_Honda_p/dbhomct.htm

Fitment: Fits Silver Wing (FSC600) 2002-2013 Honda
Replaces OEM #23100-MCT-003
GBoost Kevlar (TM) Scooter Belt.
All GBoost belts are made in the USA.
All belts are Kevlar (TM) quality construction with long capabilities.
All belts are certified to be within .020 of OEM required manufacturing spec vs most replacement belts are up to 1/2" variance in length.
Longer belts affect the operation of the clutches and create inconsistencies in shifting.
This can cause excessive wear on the clutches.

Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 11:14 pm

This is for the Mitsuboshi belt from Japan, It's on the webike site.

https://japan.webike.net/products/22859860.html

Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 6:26 am

Sidewinder Pilot wrote:
As far as using a Gates, that is a "well it fits" situation, I would NOT use one!

GBoost makes replacement OEM spec belts for LOTS of equipment/vehicles, ATVs, Snowmachines and Scooters.

You seem unfairly dismissive of the Gates product. They basically invented V-belts and make OEM belts for industry. I've used their belts for my vehicles over many, many years and never had a problem as far as I can recall.

A quote from their web site, "In 1917, John Gates revolutionized industrial machinery with the world’s first rubber V-Belt, and began the legacy of advanced design that defines The Gates Corporation. In 1945, Gates invented the first toothed timing belt, known as the synchronous belt. In 1979, we created the serpentine belt that changed automotive transmission as we know it..."
https://www.gates.com/about-us
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 am

I say this----on rubber band drive scooters---OEM probably best to avoid walking---speaking from 9 new maxi-sccoters since 1990 and over 400,000 miles with them. Belt is weakest link in the maxi-scooter thing.

I had one belt break/turn to powder in my maxi-scooter experience---Helix in VA---HRC came to get me---took to friend's garage---Helix easy to change belt as all you have to do it remover cover, belt can be put on by squeezing rear pulley.....nothing needs to come off! SilverWing belt could be changed by roadside....but pain in the butt.

Always carry spare belt on trips as most Honda dealers do not stock them---now with SilverWing out of production, worse. Walking sucks/delays can be expensive
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 10:33 pm

My view on Gates belts for SW is not a reflection of Gates, which is first rate, but on the issue that I've never been able to find a P/N for our application.

Mitsuboshi (Honda)
Erlandson (GBoost)
Gates

All produce a precision product, using high quality materials.

They all use aramid fiber, whether DuPont branded or not.
The first two make them to Hondas specifications.
The Gates, I have not been able to find any information on what belt number is made to Honda specs, If somebody has this information please post, with a link to their application chart.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 am

I've had a Gates belt Pt. No. 405830640 fitted for some 12000Ks now. No probs so far.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 7:05 am

Sidewinder Pilot wrote:
My view on Gates belts for SW is not a reflection of Gates, which is first rate, but on the issue that I've never been able to find a P/N for our application.

Mitsuboshi (Honda)
Erlandson (GBoost)
Gates

All produce a precision product, using high quality materials.

They all use aramid fiber, whether DuPont branded or not.
The first two make them to Hondas specifications.
The Gates, I have not been able to find any information on what belt number is made to Honda specs, If somebody has this information please post, with a link to their application chart.

This has come up before bud, IIRC the Gates belt is not available in the U.S scratch
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Installed a OE Honda belt today had a little oil on old one it would slip on full throttle at times.
Not sure where oil came from but seemed to be from rear drive. It was over filled be ME.

Checked clutch shoes and drum no oil there. Sanded everything with 320 grit reassembled.
Parking brake could not hold rear wheel enough to loosen nut had to hold rear brake also then it came loose. Belt was rubbing on case at 13k miles worn.

Went fora 30 mile ride feels much better and no belt slap noise.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Ultimately the belt will slap. It doesn't indicate that the belt is worn or that there might be anither issue. That's just the way it is with this CVT transmission.

That said, if you inadvertently installed the belt backwards (ie. with the arrow pointing rear) the belt will slap much sooner. 

Oil on the belt? You might want to check the crankshaft seal. Wait for a week or so after normal use then pull the variator assembly to see if oil might be dripping from that location. The crankshaft oil seal is "uphill" from the final drive. So a crankshaft seal leak could appear as coming from the final drive area. 

Easiest way to check for a overfilled final drive is to just remove that stupid oil fill bolt and let any excess drain from that location.  

Please let us know if that leak persists.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Im at 14700 miles and will probably change belt at 15K, I will go OEM.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks for advice. I did remove variator and look at engine seal it was dry, clean.
Changed diff. oil and let it drip after refilling for a while till it stopped.

Time will tell if leak continues. For now all is good. Belt was due soon and 6 years old.
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2017-04-23

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 6:31 pm

I have a question about ware one of you stated about how the belt will get heated and waxed i am on my 3rd belt last one installed was http://prntscr.com/ko0cb5 changed every 20k has 60k on it now rounded.

i still have the other 2 belts and they all 3 measure within a 32nd of an inch width looks like it would be extremely hard to snap one of those, so when and why change a belt? is because of the sides getting waxed and slippage?

Back to top Go down
Cammy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2019 2:38 pm

I just ordered the Erlandson GBoost belt on Ebay for $80 with free shipping. S/B here Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 5:39 am

Why not OEM belt? just a little more money and you may not be walking. Using OEM belts I have done over 400,000 miles on these rubber band drive scooters with only one belt break.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 7:38 am

For a little over $110.00 on Partzilla I use OEM Honda belt. Lot of work to end up with a belt that dies prematurely.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/23100-MCT-003
Back to top Go down
Cammy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 8:54 am

We shall see. Erlandson is the supplier of a lot of OEM belts to other manufacturers. If I don't get 15k out of this belt I will buy you a coffee!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 9:17 am

Remember belt break on highway can be vary dangerous....like getting run over.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 1:56 pm

I had an Erlandson belt on my 2005. Unfortunately, it got totalled soon after the switch. I had no issues with it, but can't comment on longevity.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 2:02 pm

I agree with Sidewinder Pilot about Erlandson Gboost belt. Erlandson said on their site " some aftermarket belts can vary 1/2" not their belt. I installed an Erlandson belt on my previous 2009 Swing and checked it after 1k miles and again at 2k miles. The belt did not rub against the case and there was no dust. For $80.00 against $120.00 OEM I'll stick with the Erlandson. Why should I pay extra just because the item says Honda.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2019 12:32 pm

The challenge is to save a few dollars and at the same time to be confident in the "rubber band" such that we won't get stuck.  I have roughly 23K kms on my 2005 Silverwing at present.  Over the winter I purchased a "new genuine Honda" belt from everett_powersports in Washington, through their eBay.ca site.  The price was and still is $109.99US or roughly $148 CND $.  The local dealer quoted me something in the $205 Cnd$ range with all the taxes (IIRC).  I think in the end with, exchange, shipping and custom taxes my final cost may be $20 - $30 less than that.  The temptation is great to go with a lesser cost belt .... but should it fail .... it would not be a nice time at all.  I have a set of rollers just waiting for installation and a time when the belt was ready to install.  Might just "get after it" this season and hopefully before the original (14 year old) belt fails.

Mike
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2019 1:00 pm

Mike ,I have a 14 year old belt on my Swing with 16,000 miles also. " should it fail" can apply to any belt whether Honda ,Erlandson or Bates. Like I said when the Erlandson was installed I inspected belt every 1k miles until it had 6k on it and I sold bike. Upon inspection the Erlandson didn't rub against cases and didn't create as much dust as Honda's unit. That alone shows me a lot of quality in the belts construction.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 6:55 am

AldusFran wrote:
Mike ,I have a 14 year old belt on my Swing with 16,000 miles also. " should it fail" can apply to any belt whether Honda ,Erlandson or Bates. Like I said when the Erlandson was installed I inspected belt every 1k miles until it had 6k on it and I sold bike. Upon inspection the Erlandson didn't rub against cases and didn't create as much dust as Honda's unit. That alone shows me a lot of quality in the belts construction.

Agree with that...... any of them can fail but when they fail it will be always at the worst time.

I have been searching for a Gates belt since mentioned here a few years ago. Even the part numbers I had didn't help the local Gates distributor find one. Gate were always a good name in rubber belting and hose. Like most over-priced items ... they will remain over-priced if the consumer keeps buying them. The OEM parts -- no different.
Mike
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 7:37 am

AldusFran wrote:

Aldus we are not trying to tell you which belt to buy... Each of us has a choice, get your belt from Honda, Gates or even K-Mart, whatever. The point being a lot rides on this belt and if you search on this forum you will find stories of premature belt failure by using a "cheaper" belt. Very few problems with the OEM, that is why I will stick with the Honda belt for 30 bucks more. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 8:15 am

Drive belts Image17

Drive belts Image18
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 2:09 pm

As Cosmic-Jumper showed the average price of an Erlandson belt through Erlandson is $108+change and Honda belt $119 from Partzilla. So there isn't much difference and Erlandson is made in the U.S.A. .. Now on Ebay you will find cheap Chinese belts (they say) for the Swing for around $50.00;these are the cheap belts people are talking about and I wouldn't even consider those.
Back to top Go down
cube
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 10:41 pm

Just changed mine today (along with some DR Sliders) - OEM from Partzilla.
Back to top Go down
silvercat600
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
silvercat600

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2020-07-25

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 10:27 pm

I just found a great deal here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383317792599
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 10:40 pm

silvercat600 wrote:
I just found a great deal here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383317792599

I actually bought that item a few months back. The belt supplied was branded as "Bando", which turned out to be a Japanese manufacturer. Seems to be working just fine, I have done a couple fo throusand km so far. It does not have any marked directional arrows so I set it with the brand markings on the top run with the top of the text innermost; no idea if that is correct.
Back to top Go down
silvercat600
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
silvercat600

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2020-07-25

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 10:45 pm

I wonder if it really is a G-boost belt. I hope its not the cheap kind like the Chinese ones off the of Ebay for 60$ or so. I just order the belt were talking about from G-boost off of ebay from that link.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drive belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive belts   Drive belts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive belts
Page 1 of 1