Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
alex_at
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alex_at

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2024-03-22

New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions Empty
PostSubject: New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions   New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 4:35 pm

Hello,

As introduced here:
https://www.silverwing600.com/t13308-new-member-from-europe#135251

I recently aquired a used Silverwing 600.

I do have a few questions:

1.) How to find out the build date? I read about recalls on the 2003, so I want to check wether mine is a 2003 and if so, if the recalls have been done. My Silverwing was registered in 2005. But built?
I checked for a plate above the front wheel as read on the forum - but there is none. There is one on the right side, near the oil filler cap, but it says Honda Motor Co, Made in Japan. No manufacturing date. My 10th number of the VIN is 5, so it could be made in 2005?

2.) My hot idle was low, like in a car. About 900rpm, thankfully no oil pressure light was on. So the oil pressure must have been high enough. I already raised the idle to above 1000.

Hot idle before adjustment: **to be inserted after 7 days**
Hot idle after adjustment: **to be inserted after 7 days**

I think I can turn it up just a little more. I think I'll buy the hardware to sync the throttle body as well. Who knows why the idle was low, either the throttle bodys are not synced or the previous owner turned the idle down.

3.) The previous owner did a mod under the seat, see here:
Is this a known mod?
What could this be? Reinforcing the seat? Preventing the front seat latch from closing?

See a picture here: **to be inserted after 7 days**

4.) My gas mileage is, well, less than great. I bought the scooter to zip around town to save gas and mainly save on parking cost. Where I live every hour you park outside of your "home district" is 2.71 US$. Two wheelers park for free. It is already using half the fuel of my car (2008 Mercedes C320 CDI 4Matic), but for a scooter it's rather thirsty.

5.) Belt/Clutch whine on acceleration in traffic. I read that it is normal, but what is it? Clutch slip? Belt slip? I guess with around town usage I should be on the lookout for another complete clutch assembly, in europe the scooter is out of production since 2006 so I should stock spares as long as they are available.

6.) I have a rattle during acceleration from the middle of the dashboard, about 3500 to 4000rpm. The right hand side glovebox does rattle as well, but even with the box out I can hear a rattle in the middle. Is this a known thing?
Generally for a Honda, especially in this class, 600cc, I find that the plastics are rather subpar quality. Especially considered it is a Honda.

See my video for the rattle: **to be inserted after 7 days**

7.) Already did an oil change, Shell Advance Ultra 10W40 and a Mahle filter. Next up is coolant change, my coolant is green I think, I'll flush it with Liqui Moly motorbike coolant flush and then flush it with water and then fill it with BASF Glysantin G30 (Pink, silicate free, OAT technology), since I don't know when the last coolant change has been done.

8.) My front underseat latch doesn't latch in, I'll clean the locks and then see, but as I've read on the forum maybe it is better that it doesn't latch. The rear works fine, just needs a little firm press in the middle of the rear of the pillion seat.

9.) My Silverwing is silver, a really nice popping silver with a lot of shiny flakes, I like the colour! Does anybody have the colour code / colour name so I can get some paint made? My right lower front fairing is a little scratched up.

10.) According to this video of the italian Silver Wing club some (early models?) suffer from rear frame fatigue cracks:
See here: **to be inserted after 7 days**
Is this known?
Is it known which year the frame was beefed up to prevent that damage?

Thanks!

Alex
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions   New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 5:05 pm

The idle speed should be around 1,300 rpms +/- 100, I prefer high idle setting, better response. Pre 2008 ?? SW600 have open loop injection, no O2 sensor, a little more fuel thirsty. can't speak about early models, but fit and finish is excellent on mine, there is definitely some vibration, especially when cold but no rattles, it smooths out when warm. Maybe your CVT needs servicing and/or tires worn/out of balance.
Look for ID sticker on upper fairing/cover, area around front fork upper clamp.
Back to top Go down
alex_at
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alex_at

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions   New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 5:30 pm

Thanks!

no, definetly not CVT rattle, it's a plastic rattle in the middle of the dashbord.

Yes that might be the case, old tech fueling system, but then on the other hand I'm glad, no o2 sensor only a basic cat converter - so nice fuel smell!
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions   New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 9:12 pm

"5.) Belt/Clutch whine on acceleration in traffic."

A trick I learned on this forum is to hold the brake tightly while slowly turning the throttle. Don't go anywhere, just build up tension and hold for several seconds. Try this a few times. I used it on a couple old Silver Wings and made squeals disappear. Glaze builds up and this is a way to remove it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions   New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 4:25 pm

I have a 2001 model and frame corrosion is prevalent but it's surface rust which I am keeping an eye on. I'm not aware of any frame structural failures but I'd be interested to know if it is, or has been, an issue.

The rattle from the front tupperware can be a number of things. Over the years I have found the odd screw missing from the fairing fastenings etc., no doubt missed by previous owners.

The belt slap and/whining when taking off is something I learned to ignore. I just keep the pulleys clean and change the belt as per Honda recommendations. I have done lots of major surgery to stop this but maybe it's just its age. It still does it occassionally but I ignore it.

Perhaps because of its age, it is just showing signs of wear and tear. If you are DIYer then all the info you need is somewhere here if you decide to maybe, reviatlize' some older or worn parts. Overall, the SW is quite robust.
Back to top Go down
alex_at
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alex_at

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions   New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

Did a coolant flush today since I have no record on when it was done last time (or if it was done).

Rather difficult to get the right coolant in Europe, since european manufacturers either are phosphate free, posphate free + silicate.

After a lot of phone calls, even Honda dealers don't stock Honda original coolant, apparently they use Castrol, Motul and so on (and they don't have a phosphate coolant without silicate, borate - at least not sold to private customers.)

After a lot of research I found out: Honda (and the other asian manufacturers) use coolant with phosphate (for corrosion protection), but without silicate (important apparently) without amines, without borates.

So after a lot of research and calling around I secured a 5 liter jug of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (apparently phosphate based, silicate free, amine free, borate free). Exactly what I was looking for. Expensive and difficult to get! 63 us$ for a 5l jug.

Did an extensive flush with demineralised water, used 15-20 liters to flush everything out until only clear water came out the water pump.

Filled it with pink Toyota Super Long Life Coolant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions   New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Page 1 of 1