Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
New owner questions I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New owner questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
OldGeezer-69
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
OldGeezer-69

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2021-08-27

New owner questions Empty
PostSubject: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 1:01 pm

HOPEFULLY I AM POSTING IN THE CORRECT PLACE

Thank you kindly ..[Cosmic_Jumper, john grinsel, bweighmaster, GHM-PM]-- for taking the time to reply.
Some great suggestions:-
Before i take the "MSF" course -- OR -- DMV road test, -I believe i really need to do a bunch of homework.
I mean, -- lots of seat time, in a parking lot [with\without cones]
My Brother suggested buying a used, but functional smaller bike with manual clutch, 125, 250 etc, for the sole purpose of practicing, passing the test, and sell it later.
Logistics however make that difficult,-- Garage space \ wife ETC
Hypothetical Question #1:- If i were to keep practicing low speed maneuvers in my backyard, on the S.W. with that distinct clutch friction disk smell, - Will i do irreparable damage??
Question #2:- How much work \ How big a job is, - a clutch repair on an SW. ??
I worked in a repair shop in the seventies, and have done more automobile clutches, than i care to recall.
But i have "ZERO" knowledge or experience of whats involved with a bike clutch like the SW.
In fact, my only experience with "C.V.T" is with my lawn tractor [JohnDeere D105], which is a sealed nonServicable [disposable] unit.
Yeah!, $450.00 + few hours, your back mowing with a new tranny.
It has also been suggested to me, after i chatted with an MSF instructor,-- To try riding & practicing on a bicycle. He said some have found that beneficial.
I bought the bike over 4 months ago, but I have multiple projects on the burner right now, Heating System\Central AC\ Power Steering on my minivan ETC.
I have only been able to commit to a couple of hours to practice so far.
The bike itself, was never meant to be a project.
I figured buy a bike and on a nice day just ride it instead of pulling out the minivan.
Al least that was the plan.
My Thanks, & Regards to everyone
OG-69, I-90/I-495s MetroWest Mass
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 3:14 pm

No it wasn't in the right place but it is now... No problems.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 5:36 pm

As has been mentioned before, the MSF course supplies small motorcycles for the course. Quite frequently a State will accept a MSF certificate for you to get an “M” endorsement on your driver’s license.

A State Learners Permit for that “M” endorsement will usually be good for quite a few months. So you’ll have time to practice.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 7:26 pm

There's no such thing as irreparable damage unless you are broke, and my view is that the transmission can take anything that you can dish out. Clutch removal and repair is easy in any case, open up the case, unbolt the front variator, remove the belt and one more nut gets the clutch out. The clutch shoes are sprung to the hub and fly out when spun, and are easy to swap out if you need to.
Back to top Go down
OldGeezer-69
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
OldGeezer-69

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 7:26 pm

Doing some individual posts, as i need "5" to PM -- "Site Administrator" on an issue

[quote="Cosmic_Jumper"]As has been mentioned before, the MSF course supplies small motorcycles for the course. . . . . .

Thank you "Cosmic_Jumper" for the info.
In the interests of brevity, & not to bore the pants of everyone, --i omitted a few details from my introduction (which was already too long).
I took the "ONE" day "Returning Rider" MSF course last October. I successfully completed the online portion of the course & figured the actual riding would be a piece of cake. The fact that almost 50 years had passed since i sat on a bike, did not even enter my mind. As i started to pull away through the course, i thought something was wrong with this bike, like the handlebars were partially detached from the front forks. After pulling to the side and checking,-- i realized the problem was me. I said to myself "Smarten up son" & “Get a Grip”. I battled on for 2+ hrs, knocking down cone after cone, going way wide in the corners- absolutely GOD AWFUL riding.
I was totally embarrassed, and could "NOT" for the life of me figure out why i was so abysmal. The instructor had a chat with me and basically said it was unlikely i would pass based on his observations up to that point in time. I reluctantly parked the bike, knowing i had just lost the $300.00 fee, but worse than that was the sucker punch of not knowing,-- HOW DID THIS HAPPEN, --WHAT IS GOING ON. As i drove home, i was about as dejected as i ever felt in my entire life, and beyond confused. I did not think it was possible to loose the riding skills that i had in the seventies.

Two months prior to taking that course, i had my second Stroke which required hospitalization, but by the time of the course, i had recovered well enough (Only occasional face numbness & arm tingling), so i hope/pray, that had nothing to do with my disastrous performance.
A few months later, i bought the SW, with the intent of practicing in back lawn, -for as long as it takes to improve.
That’s when the whole burning clutch issue came to the fore

Thanks Again  Cosmic_Jumper
I have read many of your posts, --You dispense some great advice.
Back to top Go down
OldGeezer-69
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
OldGeezer-69

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 7:29 pm

Doing some individual posts, as i need "5" to PM -- "Site Administrator" on an issue

Thank you GHM-PM
Quote:- No it wasn't in the right place but it is now... No problems.

Yeah!,-- Not sure when to start a new thread -V- coninuation on same
Obviously if the new subject matter is 180 degrees removed from the Topic, then i understand the need
Thanks Again  GHM-PM
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 7:47 pm

OldGeezer-69 wrote:

Thank you GHM-PM
Quote:- No it wasn't in the right place but it is now... No problems.

Yeah!,-- Not sure when to start a new thread -V- coninuation on same
Obviously if the new subject matter is 180 degrees removed from the Topic, then i understand the need
Thanks Again  GHM-PM

No problem. Since you tacked your questions on your introduction they would just get lost in the shuffle. Check out the forum and select the proper place for your new topic and start one there. Just takes time; good luck.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 8:33 pm

OldGeezer-69 wrote:

Thank you Terry Smith
Great\Great info, precisely what i had hoped to hear
Yes-- worst case scenario,-- Far easier than doing the same on your 4 wheel ride
There may even be some videos on YouTube (preferably in english), on this procedure
Thank you Terry

The service manual is available online, the Silverwing Facebook page is easiest to find, but let me know if you need it.

Regarding building slow-speed confidence on bikes, I have to say the Swing is not the easiest bike for this job. Sure the CVT and centrifugal clutch take away the gear anxiety, but the bike is heavy and not naturally balanced (in my opinion anyway). Believe it or not, the best low speed bike I have ridden is the Honda ST1100 Pan European from the 90's! Once moving a bit faster the Swing is fine, but it is clumsy at low speed. I say this as someone who has been riding continually since 1982 and on everything up to 1300cc and currently a fearsomely fast and fun Yamaha MT-10.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 am

I agree that the Wing is cumbersome at slow speeds. I wouldn't want to take my test on this scooter! The CVT is great to drive but not at very slow speeds. Actually the Forza is more nimble at slow speeds.

The last time I took the test was on a Honda Trail 90. The instructor said I would have problems with it due to the size and auto clutch; but I got a near-perfect score!
Back to top Go down
OldGeezer-69
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
OldGeezer-69

PostSubject: Thanks! All   New owner questions I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 6:48 pm

My thanks to-- Cosmic_Jumper, Terry Smith, GHM-PM who provided some wisdom to my predicament.
I guess, - I NEED 1 MORE POST BEFORE PM'ing SITE ADMIN, with an Account issue

So I placed a scenario \ Question over in the
"Other Scooters And Motorcycles \ Other Scooter Topics" section

Basically my conversation with a bike Sales person, - prior to my purchase of the S.W.
Titled "New Honda Scoots -V- FSC600

Again thanks to everyone for their assistance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New owner questions
Page 1 of 1