Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive belt prices
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

end of my riding/driving amI

Go down 
+17
Winger61
Meldrew
smellybeard
MikeO
Tbear
BigGuido
rjdoles
sonuvabug
Terry Smith
StuartBrown
steve_h80
Erdoc48
Loosemarbles
MUCHoldERwingguy
BrianInVA
Dale N.
john grinsel
21 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

end of my riding/driving amI Empty
PostSubject: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2024 2:12 pm

End of my riding /driving.
VA just told me I am beginning Dementia-----should take from 1 to 10 years to kill me---So no riding/driving----Since1955-everyday rider---bikes and scooters, over 1.5 million miles 20-25 countries over 70 new bikes/scooters, all weather( Germany/Japanincluding snow)Favorite bikes----BMW R51/3(winter Steib S350 sidecar, bike with solo gearing Heinrich fairing and leg shields, scooter Vespa 2 stroke (really went good in winter and Honda Helix, had 4 new ones 175,000 miles....easy belt change, only problems, low speed rated rear tire, now and then broke intake stub....fix carry spare as well as belt, built in locking trunk=nice!worked best with Givi adjustable windshield . started good in US below zero weather! weather protection BMW very good with heinrich,Vespa very good with right windshield, Helix and Silverwing, even with best windshield------your nose too far from tip of shield=buffeting And Silverwiing, heavy/not much fun to work on/relyable.Also had new Harley factory sidecar outfit......engine had trouble releasing heat if you rode hard! where BMW boxer could get rid of engine heat.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2024 4:33 pm

John I'm so sorry to hear that !! I will say prayers for you. I don't know what else to say except that I'M SORRY!!
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2024 5:12 pm

Dale N. wrote:
John I'm so sorry to hear that !! I will say prayers for you. I don't know what else to say except that I'M SORRY!!
Dittos. Prayers up, John. 

(I’m a podiatrist by trade and my patients were mainly geriatric, and many of them became close friends over years of routine treatments every couple months, so I’m well aware of how frustrating and frightening this can be. Alzheimer’s strongly runs on my mom’s side so it’s something I have to look forward to also.)
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2024 9:52 am

Sorry to hear this, it's a sad day that we give up riding or driving for any reason.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2024 10:29 am

Very sorry to hear this news John. You have a riding history to be proud of, all those bikes and mileage.

I do regret waiting too long to get back into riding. I've ridden from age 16 to about 33. Then I bought my SW at age 50ish. I hope I have your fortune and stamina to still be riding into my 80's.

I also hope you'll still keep an eye on the forum. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2024 2:44 pm

I’m sorry to hear as well. I’m about to turn 60 (in May), so I’m focused more on fitness these days (never was until I went part time on the job, now it’s a priority). I also hope to be able to ride into my 80’s (maybe one day the STs will become too much for me and then I’ll have the Swing available as my ‘old man bike’).

On the other hand, your riding history is enviable. I doubt that I would ever hit another 150K miles or so in my riding lifetime in the future. Maybe I have to work on that!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2024 10:37 am

So sorry to hear this John. Please hang about here even if you're not riding, your posts are always worth reading.
Back to top Go down
StuartBrown
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2022-10-22

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2024 12:11 pm

Sad news John.
I am coming up to 78 and contemplating the loss of biking after a lifetime awheel.
I can only guess at the scale of your sense of loss.
Please continue adding your words of wisdom here on the forum.
Wishing you all the best.
Stuart
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2024 4:06 pm

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis John. The end (of all sorts of things, not just riding) can come for anyone at any time, so all you can do is make the best of every sunrise.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 3:51 pm

Terry Smith wrote:
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis John. The end (of all sorts of things, not just riding) can come for anyone at any time, so all you can do is make the best of every sunrise.

John, I couldn't have said it any better than Terry has. ~ Carpe Diem ~
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 5:56 pm

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis John.

I am 75 and live in Punta Gorda Florida. I have loved bikes since my dad bought me a used Cushman scooter at age 14.

I rode my Majesty down to the VietNam Memorial wall today and talked to two other VietNam vets. We reminisced about things that happened 50 years ago and about the things that we have done over the last 50 years that none of the names of guys on that wall got to do.

I am Thankful for every bonus day.

I wish you the best.

Ron
Back to top Go down
BigGuido
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2023-10-26

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 3:45 am

Old farts never die! They just dissipate! Laughing John, you have given me such a wealth of knowledge by sharing your experiences on this forum. I strongly feel you should write a book! That way you can secure your experiences forever to share with the world because I think it is really truly worth sharing.

BG
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2023-10-18

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 6:24 pm

Sir, you have a lot of wisdom to pass on. Please hang around here and share. Please. I felt like you were trying to get "the best of" in one post.That would not do it for me given a choice. I would enjoy reading whatever you feel like sharing.
Back to top Go down
africa1228
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
africa1228

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2023-04-19

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 9:53 am

Sorry to hear that John.
I truly wish you all the best in this fight. There have been quite a few new developments recently in the treatment of dementia and I hope more will come to assist you with this.
All the best.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2024 10:18 am

I am sorry to hear your news, John.
I have benefitted from your experiences of riding over quite a few years - we joined the Forum at roughly the same time - and your experience stretching back many years.

Your frank declaration regarding Dementia has given me much to think about.
My immediate/short-term memory is not what it was although I've always been hopeless at registering names when 'new' people have just told me theirs; it's spread into a few other areas now.
I have been a bit distracted of late with my own, physical difficulties, especially 'on the road' and you've made me wonder if there's more to it. I will get checked, I think.
Thank you for that, too.
I wish you well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2024 12:00 pm

MikeO, I'm told it's normal for, something like, 85% of people to forget the name of somebody they've just been introduced to, regardless of their age.

As a full-time carer for my Partner my memory for day-to-day activities is baffling. I have to keep a credit card in my car because of the number of times I leave home without my phone...which contains my cards etc.

I am a little younger than yourself but don't be so hard on yourself. I guess the enjoying the ride or worrying about riding is the fine line. Same applies to driving a car I guess.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2024 12:48 pm

Thank you; I am grateful for your reassurance.
I am determined NOT to get to the stage where those around me think I should give up riding or driving because I let my mind wander and so on.
There is no history of Dementia in my family but John's post made me think.
A cousin, ten years my senior, has always been a somewhat 'detached' driver and I vowed when I went to stay with her a couple of years ago that I would NEVER get in a car with her at the wheel again!
I prayed!
I don't want be like that and will focus on maintaining my skills at the wheel (and handlebars).
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2024 5:12 pm

I don't know. I had a friend who drove for years after her diagnosis, progressively confining herself to a smaller and smaller locality. She had the guts to stop and phone for rescuing if she got lost. She never had an accident and was still driving when she had forgotten who I was.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2024 3:35 am

I guess we use 'Dementia' as an all-encompassing term, forgetting that there are many manifestations of the disease, much the same as with Cancer.
I will go on as long as possible but monitor myself carefully and listen to friends and family. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2024 7:28 am

I’d noticed my fellow Curmudgeon (both of us being given that title by the late Tim ceased to be amusing years ago) has been posting less frequently over the past few months, but there comes a time for whatever reason we all have to stop riding in old age.

John is now 84, he had done it all long before his Dementia diagnosis. Then you only have to look at the Home Page on here at who's having a Birthday, and the vast majority are old blokes, OAP's, Seniors etc.  None of us can halt the passage of time, the aging process, and kid ourselves we can go on riding for ever.

Dementia must be devastating to a long term married couple, losing the person you love gradually that eventually he or she may not even recognise or acknowledge you. Let's not forget that it's a very heavy burden for a partner of similar age, or family members, that become the 24/7 365 day Primary Carer.

Cancer, well I've already had a brush with that. TV adverts a few years ago used to say 1 in 3 will get cancer in their lifetime, now the same ads are saying it's 1 in 2.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2024 4:22 pm

I seem to be getting more medical problems as I get older. I had to give up the Wing because of shoulder impingement, got to be a big problem moving it about.
Latest thing is arteries blocking, thankfully only in my leg, which led to having my femoral artery cut open and 'cleaned out', as the medics put it. Six months down the line, I'm just about walking normally, dispensed with the walking stick, but still have very little feeling in my thigh. Apparently that could take a  year to fully recover.
Memory-wise, I've been writing myself reminder notes for years, but still have lapses - forgetting why I wrote the note! Main problem I seem to find these days is remembering people's names, which can be embarrasing, particularly if you have known them for a long time!
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2024 4:45 pm

Winger61 wrote:
I seem to be getting more medical problems as I get older.
I've been grounded for three weeks now with vertigo. I got some assistance with it yesterday and it seems to be lifting.
My hip is banjaxed and the Swing is a real pain to ride in stop start conditions. I can't get on the back at all.
More and more of the time I seem to be stuck on my C90 or my Guzzi and sidecar.
Back to top Go down
africa1228
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
africa1228

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2023-04-19

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2024 4:55 pm

I read this article today and perhaps it may be of help...

https://shorturl.at/vNQ03
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 9:50 am

John:
You have been an inspiration on this site. Your knowledge and experience has been passed on to many of us.I pray whatever you choose from this point on will be gratifying and beneficial to you. I had a stroke in November and another in January and can't drive or ride for six months. I"M 78. You take care my friend and stay in touch, God Bless....Dickie
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 6:01 pm

So sorry to hear that, man. Morning rides might be possible for a while even if it's on the back seat since most people who have been diagnosed with dementia/Alzheimer's seem to be more "with it" in the morning. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
AzKicker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
AzKicker

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2023-12-10

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 11:16 pm

John,

I'm sorry to hear that, but I am in awe of your 69 year riding record. I hope you hang around here to give advice and as an inspiration to us "youngsters".

OK, that was weird... that's the first time I've been the youngster in 20 years...

Back to top Go down
https://AzKicker.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: end of my riding/driving amI   end of my riding/driving amI I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

end of my riding/driving amI
Page 1 of 1