Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brand new battery

Go down 
+3
zrx212
Erdoc48
Yusepe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-10-20

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 9:50 am

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new battery from the store, and the current voltage level is 12.15 V.

I am wondering whether I should return the battery, as being deeply discharged can significantly affect its performance and longevity. affraid

Do you think the current voltage level indicates a deep discharge?

What would be your recommendation?

Thank you in advance.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 10:31 am

I will say that batteries off the shelf are generally not charged to 100% and have likely been sitting a while- I bought one for the wife’s SUV from Batteries + Bulbs several years ago and it wouldn’t start the car- what had to happen is that I had them charge it to full on their charger, then it ran the car normally.

Whenever I buy a battery now, I make sure they put it on the charger and charge it to full before we complete the transaction. If you have a Battery Tender or the like, you can install the battery, then put it on the tender and bring it up to full, or bring it back to where you bought it and have them charge it to full.

If you’re talking an AGM for the SWing that is at 12.15v, and it starts the scooter, I’d probably just call it done and ride a while to charge it up. If the voltage was something like <11V, then I might be more concerned. Plus, I assume the new battery has a warranty of some kind.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 10:47 am

Erdoc48 wrote:
I will say that batteries off the shelf are generally not charged to 100% and have likely been sitting a while- I bought one for the wife’s SUV from Batteries + Bulbs several years ago and it wouldn’t start the car- what had to happen is that I had them charge it to full on their charger, then it ran the car normally.

Whenever I buy a battery now, I make sure they put it on the charger and charge it to full before we complete the transaction. If you have a Battery Tender or the like, you can install the battery, then put it on the tender and bring it up to full, or bring it back to where you bought it and have them charge it to full.

If you’re talking an AGM for the SWing that is at 12.15v, and it starts the scooter, I’d probably just call it done and ride a while to charge it up. If the voltage was something like <11V, then I might be more concerned. Plus, I assume the new battery has a warranty of some kind.

Thanks for your comment Erdoc48.

Yes, it is an AGM and it comes with a 2 years warranty, I went for the recommended in that forum 11.2 Amp upgrade.

Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 2:18 pm

A 12v lead acid/AGM/etc., battery is considered partially discharged below 12.6 volts/80%, a new battery should have/hold at between 12.7-13.2 volts, after driving vehicle or off the charger, a battery voltage of 12.15 is 50% discharged, take it back. Always check voltage with battery disconnected from vehicle, to eliminate possibility of parasitic draw or other issues affecting reading. BTW, make sure you have over 14 volts at battery at 3k rpm.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 2:31 pm

zrx212 wrote:
A 12v lead acid/AGM/etc., battery is considered partially discharged below 12.6 volts/80%, a new battery should have/hold at between 12.7-13.2 volts, after driving vehicle or off the charger, a battery voltage of 12.15 is 50% discharged, take it back. Always check voltage with battery disconnected from vehicle, to eliminate possibility of parasitic draw or other issues affecting reading. BTW, make sure you have over 14 volts at battery at 3k rpm.

That's exactly my concern.

The bike is fine, the old battery lasted 6 years and is still working but is not able to hold the charge more than 2 days above 12.2v. after charged.

I'm charging the new battery to see if it reaches the 12.7/12.8volts after charging and for how long it holds the voltage.

I'm really frustrated because the previous one, which I had to return, from a different brand and shop, was showing 11.7 volts out of the box. It seems that the batteries are not properly maintained in the shops.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 7:22 pm

I get all my motorcycle batteries at Batteries Plus(USA), because they are activated (electrolyte/acid is added) when I purchase it, try to find similar source on your side of pond.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 8:09 pm

zrx212 wrote:
I get all my motorcycle batteries at Batteries Plus(USA), because they are activated (electrolyte/acid is added) when I purchase it, try to find similar source on your side of pond.

I buy my batteries there also prices are good and it's always a just activated new battery. I did have one that leaked at about the 4 year mark and left a stain on the swingarm but not really noticeable and still worked fine. 4-5 years is the most time a use a battery and just replace it.

Under seat compartment has a small drain hole right near the battery on bottom corner.

Honda ST1300 battery is the popular replacement with a few more CCA amps and fits perfectly.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2023 7:49 am

I have for many years, upon purchasing a battery for a bike, car or side by side or whatever simply charge it prior to use. I have chargers and battery maintainers so it is simple a matter of charging prior to install. Also if there is a problem the charger/maintainer will generally tell me so I can warranty it BEFORE install.

Car batteries I usually purchase local, while bikes/scooters I order online.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 10:27 am

I charged the battery to 12.7 volts max capacity, but after 2 days, it dropped to 12.6 volts. Probably a bit worn but I think I going to keep it.

On a side note, here in the UK, batteries are not allowed to be sold with acid sold separately, meaning that is going to be a lottery find out an online battery fresh.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 11:11 am

Yusepe wrote:
I charged the battery to 12.7 volts max capacity, but after 2 days, it dropped to 12.6 volts. Probably a bit worn but I think I going to keep it.

On a side note, here in the UK, batteries are not allowed to be sold with acid sold separately, meaning that is going to be a lottery find out an online battery fresh.

Sounds good- I would watch it the next few days and if the voltage stabilizes and drops no further, you’re likely good. The clock and FI computer eats a little current (not much) so in general, I would assume a little drop is OK, but if it’s more substantial with the bike sitting (like falls to low 12V range in a few days), then I would assume the battery may not be good, but based on what you indicated, that’s less likely. Maybe top it off from time to time with the charger if the bike will be sitting this winter.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 11:17 am

Erdoc48 wrote:
Yusepe wrote:

Sounds good- I would watch it the next few days and if the voltage stabilizes and drops no further, you’re likely good. The clock and FI computer eats a little current (not much) so in general, I would assume a little drop is OK, but if it’s more substantial with the bike sitting (like falls to low 12V range in a few days), then I would assume the battery may not be good, but based on what you indicated, that’s less likely. Maybe top it off from time to time with the charger if the bike will be sitting this winter.

Thanks Erdoc.

Just to clarify, the battery is not installed; the 0.1v drop is on open circuit.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 11:38 am

I understand now. Yes, I would just watch it for a few more days, and if the voltage does not drop any further, you are likely good.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 12:23 pm

Hi, you need to fully charge the battery, attach your multimeter across the terminals and hit the starter and watch what the voltage drops to, anything below a few volts battery is goosed.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 12:27 pm

JamieB wrote:
Hi, you need to fully charge the battery, attach your multimeter across the terminals and hit the starter and watch what the voltage drops to, anything below a few volts battery is goosed.  

well, if the engine is running and the alternator giving power I assume that the voltage is going to be quite high.

What do you mean by voltage drops?
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 1:21 pm

Hi Yusepe.

What JamieB means about the "Voltage drop" is, connect your voltmeter onto the battery(normally crocodile clips).
Leave the meter switched on now turn the ignition key on and press the start button, watching what your meter reads in volts(the drop). If it drops more than 2/3 volts it is usually a sign the battery is on the way out.
With the engine running the meter should go up 13.8/14.2v indicating the charging circuit is working correctly.
hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 1:36 pm

JohnyC wrote:
Hi Yusepe.

What JamieB means about the "Voltage drop" is, connect your voltmeter onto the battery(normally crocodile clips).
Leave the meter switched on now turn the ignition key on and press the start button, watching what your meter reads in volts(the drop). If it drops more than 2/3 volts it is usually a sign the battery is on the way out.
With the engine running the meter should go up 13.8/14.2v indicating the charging circuit is working correctly.
hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!

Oh interesting. I didn't know I can test the battery that way. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 6:56 am

Hi Yusepe.

It's also worth noting that in my experience of English winters if you do not ride your bike at least once a week during spells of frosts, after a week of frost most bike batteries will be flat, even if stored in an out building but subject to temperature drop.
AGM, Lead acid, LiPo, there's no winners, apart from a good quality Lithium jump pack.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brand new battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new battery   Brand new battery I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brand new battery
Page 1 of 1