Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 9:11 am

» checking the oil
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 3:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 1:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 12:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 4:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 1:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Newbie from Colorado

Go down 
+5
JohnyC
GHM-PM
Mech 1 twa
zrx212
DPGUS
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DPGUS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2023-08-15

Newbie from Colorado Empty
PostSubject: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 12:52 pm

Hello to all,

I too am like pkrides from Minnesota, new to the scooter world other than buzzing around on a Vespa when I was 14.
I've been riding for 55+ years and have owned or rode just about every type of MC from hybrid/motocross-small street bikes to the big cruisers.

I just sold my last MC, a Kawasaki Voyager 1700  due to rotator cuff surgery. Those big ole heavy bikes were taking a toll on me having to move them around in the garage.  

Ran across a stock 2012 SW with 3500 miles on it in great shape and after a bit of research pulled the trigger on it. I've only ridden it a week but man, what a nice handling and comfortable ride. I am sold. I know 600 lbs. is not light weight by any means, but it definitely beats my 1000 lb. Voyager and wiggling it around in the garage in tight spaces is so much easier.

I do the majority of maintenance on all my rides and can't wait to delve into the forums reading the tips for maintenance and adding additional accessories.

I look forward to meeting the many members who have loads of experience with the SW's or the new ones asking questions that I will have.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 5:53 pm

Welcome to Forum, lots of information on these pages, check your fuel tank for rust, change all the fluids, look at your tire dates and replace the drive belt, at 13 yrs. old they are all due.

BTW the SW600/ABS only weighs in at 250Kg or 551lbs, curb/wet weight, just saying Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 6:20 pm

Welcome here. SW is a great bike fast enough to be fun and easy to ride twist and go.
Much info here and bike is not hard to maintain or modify, they last many miles.

Normal maintenance fluids, belt and tires. Buy a service manual for all the torque specs. and diagrams.

2013 SW 35K and climbing best bike I ever owned and had many not the fastest or best handling, but it works for me.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2023 4:58 am

Welcome to the forum! You will have lots of enjoyment on your scooter! Take note of the pictorials in the maintenance section, lots of instructions and pictures to guide you.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2023 1:18 pm

Welcome to the Forum DPGUS, from the UK.

If you haven't already, make friends with the search bar for all things Swing and a bit more besides.
Keywords work best I find.
Look forward to reading your posts.

Be safe. be seen!

99 Suzuki Burgman AN400 with a few mods
09 Honda Silverwing FJS 600 with a lot more mods.
Back to top Go down
DPGUS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2023 2:48 pm

Thanks to all for the welcome posts, really appreciate it.

I will admit, before I started riding this fun machine I immediately completed oil and final gear change. I have inspected the drive belt and having a bit experience with those I decided I will ride for another year without replacing it. There was no cracking, fraying and it was pliable.

I do want to replace the coolant however, I will probably wait for the winter months to do that which unfortunately will not be much longer, especially if you subscribe at all to the farmers almanac forecast saying it is starting earlier and going to be a bugger.

The previous owner, who rode it very little and did no maintenance himself took to the stealerships for some maintenance, oil and brake fluid change 18 months ago. They charged him $350.00 for those two services. He had advised that was all he could afford to do at those prices. The stealership did give him a report on all other items marking all acceptable.

Again, want to add several accessories and will be searching for those who have done them to their scooters, but again will be winter projects as I want to get some riding in.

Thank you all again for the welcoming and the suggestions!

Back to top Go down
COMick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2023 6:05 pm

Welcome to the forum and to big scootering!

I'm up the road from you in Johnstown and thought about suggesting some local rides, but realized you could probably show me a thing or two about these roads!

The greatest thing about riding a scooter in the Front Range is that most of the roads are just soooooo boring and straight. But never having to shift gears at every stop sign on every farm road between here and the mountains is a real plus.

Be safe I'll keep an eye out for you on the Peak to Peak or Left Hand Canyon Road.

- Mark
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 5:20 am

Welcome aboard the board DPGUS.
Back to top Go down
Raygirardi
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 6:17 am

Welcome, a rotator cuff is a bad injury/repair which affects everything that arm does, good luck with that. The SW will be just the ticket you need. I just wanted to know if anyone has a gauge on how many mi/kms when the coolant should be changed. Mine(2005) is currently just over 1700 kms. I know it's low, will it go sour over time?, It hasn't been changed by me, or previous owner, but still keeps the bike at a good temp.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
DPGUS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 12:58 pm

Mark,

Appreciate the contact from another scooter rider in CO.
Heading out for vacation for a couple of weeks but will return Middle of September, which in the past has been my favorite time to ride in the hills.
I got a kick out of your statement, sure nice riding and not having to shift gears. I laughed because that is the one habit I need to "brake" in a hurry. First time went for the clutch and found that the brakes on my scooter are real good. My right foot has also be stomping on the floor board to no avail!!

Anyways, will be in touch and in the mean time, be safe!

David
Back to top Go down
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2022-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2023 1:20 pm

Welcome DPGUS. A great bunch of folks here with many years of wisdom!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Colorado   Newbie from Colorado I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Colorado
Page 1 of 1