Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 10:31 am

» New to Me Swing
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Transmission Rattle

Go down 
+2
Erdoc48
darryl51
6 posters
AuthorMessage
darryl51
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-01-28

Transmission Rattle Empty
PostSubject: Transmission Rattle   Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2023 11:11 pm

Hello all,
Had a 06 Swing with 50k km for about 3 years; (~30k miles).
-I replaced all the parts in the variator - incl. new stock rollers (old ones were pretty worn), as well as the drive faces (the piece that the belt slides up/down against)
-new belt about 2000km ago
-I replaced these parts because there was a rattle and grinding noise, and wasn't sure where it was coming from.
-Now -- after the replacement, it all sounds worse. (hello - wonder what I missed?)
-The CVT is particularly clunky/grinding when slowing down - take the hand off the gas, and it rattles as you slow down from about 40km/h down to about 15, and then it's silent again.

Other comments
-Still kind of rattles when on the stand
-Didn't touch the rear clutch or rear wheel.

My question: Is this rattle as you slow down - is that something on the clutch, and the clutch weights and springs?
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Rattle   Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 7:05 am

Just a thought (and I may be wrong)- how is it on acceleration (is it shaky and rough for a few seconds when first accelerating)? I learned here that sometimes the clutch pads get a little glazed with time, such that you may need to hold the brake and gas it for ~ 5 seconds to wear off the glazing on the clutch pads (I had this at low mileage and was able to correct it with the above procedure and only had to do it once- run it up to ~ 4000 rpm and only for a short time to remove the glazing). Maybe consider taking the driven face off (not hard) and examine the clutch/ clutch bell? With 30K miles on it (which really isn’t much) I doubt the clutch pads are gone, but it would be worth checking them- open it up, use a little sandpaper to lightly rough up the pads, and see if that helps (if you’re more inclined to tear it down for a look). The above gas and brake procedure at the same time is assuming good clutch pads. I think you’re good up front as everything was changed (assuming proper torque of the variator bolt)
Back to top Go down
darryl51
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Rattle   Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 9:10 am

Acceleration seemed normal. I've actually been a little scared to ride it hard. But I'll give that a try.
As for "inclined to tear it down" - haha. I was kind of hoping to avoid that, but it sounds like that's the next item on the todo list.
(And Yes, I believe I torqued the front right.)
Thanks for the ideas.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Rattle   Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 9:55 am

I’ve actually taken out my clutch, but not the clutch bell as you need a puller for that way, but you can check the inside of the bell for any kind of scoring. It’s actually pretty easy to disassemble and check the clutch pads. While you’re in there, it would be a good idea to grease the bearing in there as best as you can.
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Rattle   Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2023 4:01 pm

If its worse after putting it back, you may have tightened the front pulley with the belt trapped between the two faces. Starting it up will lossen the varidrive nut.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Rattle   Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2023 4:36 pm

Dave Weller wrote:
If its worse after putting it back, you may have tightened the front pulley with the belt trapped between the two faces. Starting it up will lossen the varidrive nut.

I can personally confirm this has happened to me.

You only need to remove the plastic L/H Varaitor plastic cover and air filter to see if the nut IS loose.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Rattle   Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2023 6:44 pm

My Swing had a noticeable rattle from the transmission that annoyingly was not there when run with the outer cover off for inspection. It turned out to be the bearing that lives in the outer case and supports the end of the clutch shaft. A new bearing was cheap and got rid of the noise.
Transmission Rattle Swing10
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Rattle   Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2023 2:58 pm

Well I'm waiting for my new bearing to arrive so I will soon find out.... I have that annoying rattle too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Rattle   Transmission Rattle I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transmission Rattle
Page 1 of 1