Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 9:04 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Help I'm to short to stand flat footed

Go down 
+6
steve_h80
Kleiner
john grinsel
Loosemarbles
GHM-PM
missmanigo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
missmanigo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2023-04-27

Help I'm to short to stand flat footed Empty
PostSubject: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 29, 2023 7:09 am

I'm 5 foot tall and own a 2004 Honda Silver Wing. I can't stand flat footed when I'm on it. Any idea how I can fix this problem? I ordered a pair of boots with 5 in platforms. Shaving the seat down is not an option.

Last edited by missmanigo on Mon May 01, 2023 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 29, 2023 7:46 am

At five foot tall it will be hard to find a bike/scooter that you can flat-foot. As this is a street machine it is better than a dirt bike. Just try and avoid stopping where sand or gravel are on the road. Your options are to learn to deal with it, sell it or maybe trike it! As a trike, putting down your feet down becomes moot! Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 29, 2023 4:48 pm

Lowered seats are available for the latest street/racing bikes, mainly due to more female riders taking up two wheels. I would guess they're not cheap.

Sadly, there is not much you can do with the SW unless you had a lowered seat custom made. You might find things get easy when you get used the SW and find its' balance.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 29, 2023 5:21 pm

First of all, bikes/scooters are designed to be ridden feet up. One foot out at stop is all that is needed are stop---left leg seems to work best taken from modern motorcycles with right foot brake AND do you have MC license?
Back to top Go down
Kleiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2023-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2023 1:40 am

Hello, In Germany we have boots with higher insole. They are called "Daytona Ladystar".  If I read it correctly, the company "Helimot" imports the boots to the USA  (Unfortunately, as a newcomer, I am not allowed to insert a link here yet)    
Here they can be bought in almost all motorcycle clothing stores.
They give you a secure footing when stopping the motorcycle. I also recommend them to all my driving-students who are a little smaller.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2023 3:59 am

At 5 ft you are going to struggle with a heavy bike like the Silverwing, the one foot down thing works fine provided you have the leg strength, coordination and riding experience.
Why isn't having the seat height reduced an option? This, in conjunction with high boots, would be the easiest way of making the bike rideable for you.
Back to top Go down
r1dbb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2023 7:48 am

Daytona also do another version DAYTONA M-STAR GTX GORETEX WATERPROOF MOTORBIKE MOTORCYCLE BOOTS not cheap but worth it

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/98183 (believe they ship internationally)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2023 6:45 am

Those Daytona ladies boots only give an extra 6cm/ 2.36 inches height, and like all Daytona boots are top end. 

I'm rather amused that the lady thinks buying a pair of 5 inch platform boots will solve the short leg problem on a maxi scooter weighing a hefty 550 lbs when she has no previous motorcycle or maxi scooter riding experience.

Platform boots were OK in the 1970's Glam Rock era, but for riding maxi scooters no way. No foot, ankle or shin protection. No waterproofing or aggressive sole tread for grip either, and there's a good chance of an a fracture if you ankle turns or slips wearing them. Good luck too hauling the Silver Wing onto it's main stand When wearing them.

Thankfully over here no rider buys a Silver Wing on a whim, they need to have the necessary licence and buyers usually have years of riding experience before opting for one.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2023 11:22 am

missmanigo, we would be glad to hear your thoughts on the suggestions above. I don't mean to sound patronizing you but you have limited options. The Silverwing, or any maxi-scooter would be a bold step into motorcycling for the first time for any human.

We are always here to help if you intend to overcome this issue. Your dilemma is a matter of safety which must be top priority when you're on two wheels, especially with 600cc's of power.
Back to top Go down
missmanigo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: weight is not the issue   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2023 1:35 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Those Daytona ladies boots only give an extra 6cm/ 2.36 inches height, and like all Daytona boots are top end. 

I'm rather amused that the lady thinks buying a pair of 5 inch platform boots will solve the short leg problem on a maxi scooter weighing a hefty 550 lbs when she has no previous motorcycle or maxi scooter riding experience.

Platform boots were OK in the 1970's Glam Rock era, but for riding maxi scooters no way. No foot, ankle or shin protection. No waterproofing or aggressive sole tread for grip either, and there's a good chance of an a fracture if you ankle turns or slips wearing them. Good luck too hauling the Silver Wing onto it's main stand When wearing them.

Thankfully over here no rider buys a Silver Wing on a whim, they need to have the necessary licence and buyers usually have years of riding experience before opting for one.

Last edited by missmanigo on Wed May 03, 2023 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I did not see my reply)
Back to top Go down
missmanigo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: weight is not the issue   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2023 1:45 pm

I'm a wrestler so weight is not the issue. I'm scheduled to take the HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDING ACADEMY class. I'm going to have the seat shaved down some.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2023 3:22 pm

Glad to hear that missmangio. I hope it leads to safe enjoyment of the quirky SW.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2023 12:14 pm

Hi missmanigo and welcome to the BEST SWing forum on the net.

I triked out my 08 SWing about 5 years ago and have no regrets. Once I got used to it it's great and I don't have to put my feet down anymore. I had a Motor Trike kit installed on it for a total of about $8,000 for Motor Trike to make the kit, ship it to an authorised dealer and for that dealer to install and deliver it to me. I only lost about 2-3 mpg on the highway but more in town with stop and go driving. But it still gets a lot more that my pickup so no biggie...

I also like the Motor Trike version over others because it only has two back wheels and not 3 using the outer two wheels something like training wheels on a bicycle. It's not exactly like training wheels but that's the impression I get. From what I understand about them is that the outer wheels just roll and the center wheel is still the power wheel and if you run over a pothole the center wheel just spins and the outer two don't do anything.

Help I'm to short to stand flat footed Coborn53
Back to top Go down
abel316
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2022-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2023 11:09 am

I am short at only 5"2. Have problems with my ankle due to an injury many years ago. Found a sw trike and I'm having a ball, cause I don't have to worry about putting my feet down.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2023 1:08 pm

That's great! No chance of falling over then? thumbs up
Back to top Go down
missmanigo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2023 2:14 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
That's great! No chance of falling over then? thumbs up
cheers Glad you are ssssooooo worried, but I got this. I posted that I was taking the HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDING ACADEMY MASTER THE WAYS OF THE ROAD course, and I passed just fine. I learned that you can lean to the left side when stopped. Thanks for looking out........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help I'm to short to stand flat footed   Help I'm to short to stand flat footed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help I'm to short to stand flat footed
Page 1 of 1