Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oil change, Air filter anything else?

Go down 
+2
Loosemarbles
FLAMAUI
6 posters
AuthorMessage
FLAMAUI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2023-04-05

Oil change, Air filter anything else? Empty
PostSubject: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 11:30 pm

Hi everyone,
Just got my new 2002 silver wing 27000 miles,
Planning to change the oil, filter and air filter. Anything else?
What type of oil should I use?
Thank you
I live on Hawaii.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 4:10 am

Welcome to forum Flamaui. Please tell us a bit more about yourself like; are you a novice or an experienced rider and do you intend to do your own maintenance etc?

This information helps other members with their replies and advice. Try getting used to using the search bar above using key words... It's a mine of information but also don't be afraid to ask.

Any decent 10w30 oil is ok and the drive belt should have been changed at 16000 miles.

I hope you enjoy your new mount.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 7:03 am

Even though mine had low mileage when I bought it, it is a 2003, so now 20 years old. What I did was:
-oil/filter
-new coolant (VERY easy procedure)- also looked as new at 7300 miles and 20 years.
-rear drive oil (also very easy)
-new drive belt (you need a torque wrench for this one and the proper tool to lock the variator in place to torque the variator in place- you can make this yourself - I bought the OEM Honda tool)- depends on when your belt and at what mileage it was last changed. It’s a pretty easy procedure as well.
-new spark plugs (I used the NGK Iridium type but this is not a necessity- easy to do as there’s only 2 of them!)

The oil for the rear drive as well as the engine is 10W-40 for the temp range you’re in, but 10W-30 up to 20W-50 can be used as well according to the service manual (20W-50 I assume above 100 degrees F). I used 10W-40 for mine

You can find most procedures here on this forum or via YouTube videos. I’ve never worked on a CVT scooter in the past (just my ST1100s) and it’s really straightforward to work on one of these.

I would do lots of research to see what you truly need vs what’s been done in the past by the prior owner. From what I understand, they are VERY reliable bikes, so maintain what’s needed and ride on!
Back to top Go down
FLAMAUI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 1:06 pm

Awesome,
Thank you all for the quick response. I'm planning on to get all done by myself. Yes, I have have a torque wrench.
One more question, should I use synthetic oil? I guess I can get it at Walmart or O'Reilly's. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 2:49 pm

For synthetic, you can if you want (it’s not spec for the bike to use synthetic). If you change it regularly (like yearly), either conventional or blend is fine (I just changed mine a few days ago and had Castrol synthetic blend in 10W-40 in the garage and used that)- on my ST’s, I use Rotella T6 5W-40 (and that’s likely overkill)- I used a HiFlo 204 filter available on eBay. You don’t need much- I believe 2.3 US quarts with a filter change is all the volume you need.

Lastly, when checking oil level (and this is on this forum as well as in the service manual), unscrew the dipstick, clean it, then reinsert but DO NOT screw it down, to get an accurate oil level. If you screw it down, it’ll show more oil on the stick and your actual level will be lower than that.
Back to top Go down
FLAMAUI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 3:02 pm

Thank you Erdoc48.
Back to top Go down
Johnbil09
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Johnbil09

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2023-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 5:28 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
For synthetic, you can if you want (it’s not spec for the bike to use synthetic). If you change it regularly (like yearly), either conventional or blend is fine (I just changed mine a few days ago and had Castrol synthetic blend in 10W-40 in the garage and used that)- on my ST’s, I use Rotella T6 5W-40 (and that’s likely overkill)- I used a HiFlo 204 filter available on eBay. You don’t need much- I believe 2.3 US quarts with a filter change is all the volume you need.

Lastly, when checking oil level (and this is on this forum as well as in the service manual), unscrew the dipstick, clean it, then reinsert but DO NOT screw it down, to get an accurate oil level. If you screw it down, it’ll show more oil on the stick and your actual level will be lower than that.
I think worth mentioning is when checking the oil level it’s done on level ground when on its center stand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lickitysplit11111/
FLAMAUI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 7:08 pm

Yes, I got it.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
FLAMAUI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 1:49 am

Ok, I really appreciate all the great help from this forum 😊😊.
Just changed the oil and filter today. Big accomplishment. The old oil was black. Anyway, I just wondering where are you folks buying the parts? My next wil be the drive belt and maybe the clutch. Any suggestions on places to buy?
Thank you again.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 8:54 am

For the belt, I didn’t go Honda OEM (I got a GBoost belt) I believe on Amazon (model of the belt is DBHOMCT)

For coolant, I used Preston’s pre-mix that’s available at Autozone (and it’s compatible with all formulas, so it’s silicate free)

For oil/ air filters, I bought the HiFlo branded ones on eBay.

If you’re in the driveline case to swap the belt anyway, you can look at the clutch pads (which will probably be fine) and as long as you’re in there, you should re-grease the needle bearings with NLG2 thickness grease (usually the red stuff) and they have that at the auto parts store. I did mine at 7300 miles per recommendations here and mine were black, but not worn (very grateful to those here who recommended I check).

Lastly, if you’re going to bleed the brakes (never a bad idea)- I installed SpeedBleeders on mine (actually, on all my bikes)- I originally screwed up as I tried to pressure bleed them and introduced a bunch of air in the system, so after vacuum bleeding with a hand pump MityVac, I purged the lines of air and installed the Speedbleeders (make sure if you do this they’re nice and snug when tightening them but not over tight). Now I can bleed brakes in 5 minutes per master cylinder on all my bikes.

Size is: SB8125 M8 x 1.25 (and you need 3 of them, 2 on the front caliper and one on the rear caliper)- use an 8mm box wrench to open and close them for bleeding purposes.

You’re in Maui, so I assume shipping costs of parts will be higher if you buy from online vendors.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 10:20 am

FLAMAUI wrote:
Ok, I really appreciate all the great help from this forum. Just changed the oil and filter today. Big accomplishment. The old oil was black. Anyway, I just wondering where are you folks buying the parts? My next wil be the drive belt and maybe the clutch. Any suggestions on places to buy? Thank you again.

Besides your local Honda dealer the three most popular suppliers of OEM parts are; Babbits, Partzilla, and Ron Ayers. They all offer free shipping to the lower 48 states. And at ~$132, Ron Ayers has the best price on the OEM drive belt. So you might check with them for shipping cost to HI.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f2fcf870021c54be6d53/driven-face
Back to top Go down
FLAMAUI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 1:50 pm

Great. Thank you so much for the info.
I'll check it out today.
Aloha
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2023 5:40 pm

Don't forget about the fork oil it's the most overlooked thing on most bikes. If you can remove the front wheel it's not much more work to drop forks and change the oil. Research it it's not that difficult just takes a little measuring to set oil level after flushing it out. Fork oil gets very nasty after a few years and causes a lot of wear inside tubes. Improves handling and ride quality with fresh oil.
Back to top Go down
FLAMAUI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2023 6:23 pm

Ok, I'll check. Just ordered my drive belt. Done with the oil change 😊
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil change, Air filter anything else?   Oil change, Air filter anything else? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil change, Air filter anything else?
Page 1 of 1