Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» New member from Europe
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change

Go down 
+7
lalee
sctr199
pauldeere
mmaxum2002
JeffR_
"Hi Yo"
ctgapper
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ctgapper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Thank you to the gents who posted tips and pictures regarding oil, filter and final drive oil change.  I was expecting an over torqued oil filter and is was, but it was no match for the channel locks.  A 6 point socket and a big ratchet made short work of the drain plug.  ALL and all it was very straight forward process.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 8:56 pm

+1 on those who did pictorials to help all of us. cheers 
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Glad the pictorials helped. I know a few of us have posted them and that is why this site is fun to come too. They also can help others save a lot of money from staying away from the shops.
Back to top Go down
mmaxum2002
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mmaxum2002

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi, just an update on oil filters. I went to Walmart this am and was going to buy their brand of filter, but apparently they're not carrying their own brand anymore, so I took a shot at the Fram PH 7317 and it was perfect! A tad longer than the original, (my Swing has only 3,000 miles) but fit well.
Back to top Go down
pauldeere
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 8:37 am

Max, How did you come up with a PH 7317..? Just curious, There is no way to look up filter applications at the Wal-Marts in my area, none of their electronic gizmos that hang on the shelves work, and the catalog books have 2/3 rds. of the pages missing. So much for Wally World...........
Back to top Go down
mmaxum2002
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mmaxum2002

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 8:42 am

I just took a shot because of the number, it's the same as the Walmart filter being discussed earlier and I know some filter makers stick to the same number with their own prefix in front. Just a hunch, but it worked. You can get Fram almost anywhere!
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 4:16 pm

pauldeere wrote:
Max, How did you come up with a PH 7317..? Just curious, There is no way to look up filter applications at the Wal-Marts in my area, none of their electronic gizmos that hang on the shelves work, and the catalog books have 2/3 rds. of the pages missing. So much for Wally World...........
I'm forwarding a link to a popular filter application list.  I'm sure many here have seen this list before.  Many Japanese motorcycles can use the type (5) automotive filter listed at the bottom of the page, including Silverwings.  The filters most highly recommended are highlighted in blue.  The filter I use is one of those on this list and is available at Walmart and just about any auto parts store.

I seem to remember reading on another forum that Champion, the manufacturer of SuperTech filters, was bought out by somebody and the somebody didn't continue production.  Maybe someone else here knows more than I do.  Too bad, as I used them on my SW and V-Strom.

Here's the link:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html
Back to top Go down
pauldeere
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 5:51 pm

sctr 199. Thanks for the link.....
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 10:48 pm

My Honda Civic, Goldwing, Kawasaki Vulcan, and my Silverwing use the same size filter.

This forum does have quite a few helpful members that go out of their way to post photos of mods and maintenance procedures. I appreciate those efforts..... for sure.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 12:12 am

Here is a very good post from a FRAM tech:
[quote="motorking"]Good morning
I am the tech manager at FRAM. If you are looking for a upgraded filter for your silver wings, we do sell a Honda Automotive filter part number XG6607 that fits the silver wing and has the same relief valve pressure. It is 99% efficient and has capacity for over 10k miles. It costs 8$, still less than the OE filter. This XG6607 has steel end caps, a stainless steel pleated screen and two layers of full synthetic filter media. Our standard PH6017A is 95% efficiency and has capacity for 4k oil changes. To prove the robust design of our filters, we have been road racing for the past three years in the WERA midwest and absolutely dominating in the LWT classes. One of our race bikes has three racing seasons on one engine, picture attached.
Happy to answer any filtration questions at jay.buckley@framgrp.com[/quo
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 7:48 am

In the link above it is interesting to note; Honda is NOT on the recommended list??? Strange to my way of thinking.

My preference is the Honda OEM filter but I will use the Fram PH6017A filter if necessary. It is designed as a motorcycle filter and replaces the unit on my Gold Wing and Silver Wing and is available almost anywhere. Plus it is about 6 bucks. The local O'Reilly's store has the Fram unit but not the XG6607 listed above and my nearest dealer is almost an hour away...
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 10:15 pm

I got the XG6607 at Wally World.
Back to top Go down
pauldeere
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 10:00 am

Being a maintenance person I'm always interested in any info. that I can get for the servicing of my vehicles. I'm somewhat confused on the correct oil filter to use on my Silver Wing. In the replys and links above I see a Fram Filters PH 7317...Ph 6017A....XG 6607 all being used. Question, what filter is the correct filter?......
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 10:10 am

Technically, if you don't want to use the Honda OEM filter, Fram is an option. The 6017A is the actual motorcycle filter and works on the Gold and Silver Wings. the 7317 is a car filter that fits the Silver Wing as well. The XG6607 is a high end (heavy duty) car filter that will work on the Silver Wing. Somewhere here on the forums a Fram Tech explained the construction of the 6607 and that it is supremely suited for the Silver Wing. Price of this one is about 8.99 at Wally World.
Back to top Go down
mmaxum2002
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mmaxum2002

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 10:21 am

If you'll check the filter interchange on Google and look to see who manufactures what, you'll find that Fram makes OEM Honda filters.. I used the PH 7317 because it has a little more filter surface than the smaller 6017
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 10:49 am

I abandoned Fram at least 10 years ago when their manufacturing of oil filters was pathetic. Their filters had gobs of excess glue around the base and flecks of orange paint on the gaskets. In fairness, I have noticed that their recent quality seems to be much improved.
I have only used Purolator Pure One PL14610 or Wix (NAPA GOLD) 51356 on any Swing engines that I service, and I service at least 6 different Swings including my own.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 am

mmaxum2002 wrote:
If you'll check the filter interchange on Google and look to see who manufactures what, you'll find that Fram makes OEM Honda filters.. I used the PH 7317 because it has a little more filter surface than the smaller 6017
I think that it's highly implausible that Fram makes Honda OEM oil filters. Please send us a link to that info.

FWIW I've always used Wix or NAPA Gold filters (made by Wix) because of their superior (vs. Fram) design. That said, I may try Fram's XG6607 now that it's on the market.

Tim

Edit: Yeah!...What Terry said.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 11:51 am

Big Bird check out the post where we cut open a Honda OEM and a Fram 6017A. Definite differences...

I just bought a XG6607 going to try it next change on one of my Wings...
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 11:58 am

GHM-PM wrote:
Big Bird check out the post where we cut open a Honda OEM and a Fram 6017A.  Definite differences...
I will if you can post a link. It's sometimes very difficult to find a particular post when they can be scattered anywhere on this forum.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 12:42 pm

bigbird wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:
Big Bird check out the post where we cut open a Honda OEM and a Fram 6017A.  Definite differences...
I will if you can post a link. It's sometimes very difficult to find a particular post when they can be scattered anywhere on this forum.
I agree with that, actually on most forums the search is difficult! Anyway here is the link:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t6042-fram-6017a-cut-open
Back to top Go down
mmaxum2002
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mmaxum2002

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 2:27 pm

From Honda-Tech.com

That brings us to the last fact: Most of Honda's OEM oil filters are manufactured by Honeywell (Fram's parent company). Now, they're not an exact replica of the Fram Extra Guard, but they are very similar to the Tough Guard and that filter has cardboard endcaps. If you purchase the Honda part number ending in "A02", you're getting a Fram. Look for, or ask for Honda part number ending in "A01" (harder to find) as these are manufactured by Filtech. On to the pics...
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 3:35 pm

For all that want to contact a technical manager at FRAM, try this. jay.buckley@framgrp.com You can also read his post that I included in my post several posts up.
Back to top Go down
mmaxum2002
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mmaxum2002

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 4:10 pm

I am grateful to the participants of this forum, because of all the posts and research I've done on my own, I'm kinda going to shy away from Fram filters until I can see some positive results on cutaways I've seen done on other sites. I was in favor of Fram because they were originally made in my home state of Rhode Island which the plant was closed when the company was sold to Honeywell. I see much more positive stuff on Purolator.
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 5:33 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
 Anyway here is the link:

Thanks for the link, but no pictures loaded in the post.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 7:33 pm

bigbird wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:
 Anyway here is the link:

Thanks for the link, but no pictures loaded in the post.
Not sure what to tell you. The photos load for me. Maybe try a refresh?

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 8:01 pm

GHM-PM wrote:

Not sure what to tell you.  The photos load for me.  Maybe try a refresh?
I tried a different computer and they loaded.
I conclude, based on those pics, that if Fram's are still constructed like that, then they're still not on my to-buy list. The internals of the filters that I use, Purolator One and Wix/NAPA Gold, are made of higher quality materials and more robustly assembled based on my own observations of my cutting them open.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change   Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil, Filter and Final Drive Oil Change
Page 1 of 1