Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Main Ground Cable Connections

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Main Ground Cable Connections Empty
PostSubject: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 08, 2023 9:37 am

I'll be adding a number of electrical devices soon (additional LED lightening, 12v socket, grip warmers etc.).  

Not wanting to overload any existing circuits, I'll be installing an auxiliary power distribution fuse block supported by a separate ground bus bar box.

In the Factory Service Manual, the only reference I could find to the main ground cable was on Page 20-4, Electric Starter module. It was in the "Starter Removal" diagram.

It appears by the diagram, the main ground cable runs from the (Neg) battery terminal directly to the starter.  If I recall correctly, this is how the Burgman 400's main ground cable is wired.

Can someone confirm this is how our Silver Wing's are wired and that there is no (Neg) ground cable directly wired to the frame or anything else? Thank you in advance.

P.S. - I did use this site's "Search" function and could not find an answer to this question.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 08, 2023 11:21 am

AFAIK The ground (battery negative) wire is connected to the engine block*. That based on reviewing a couple of wiring diagrams in the FSM. Seems odd that it would not be attached to the frame though.

*But no where in the FSM does it say to disconnect the ground cable from any connection on the engine when removing the engine.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 3:32 am

From the recesses of my oldest memory, I thought I saw two negative cables from the battery and one went to the frame.

The removal of some tupperware around the battery compartment should confirm if my memory is serving me correctly.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 9:41 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
From the recesses of my oldest memory, I thought I saw two negative cables from the battery and one went to the frame.

The removal of some tupperware around the battery compartment should confirm if my memory is serving me correctly.

Yup, once I start delayering it, the truth will be revealed. I will report my findings.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 11:53 am

Okay, here’s the answer from the maestro, Stefano Bonacasa, himself via FB:

Stevenb Stefano Bonacasa, Admin, Group expert
NEGATIVE battery pole and fixed to a starter motor fixing bolt.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 1:30 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Okay, here’s the answer from the maestro, Stefano Bonacasa, himself via FB: Stevenb Stefano Bonacasa, Admin, Group expert -- " NEGATIVE battery pole and fixed to a starter motor fixing bolt ".
"

That is consistent with what the hand drawn schematic shows on Page 20-4 in the FSM. Thanks for confirming C_J.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 1:46 pm

SW600 main battery negative/ground is a "Single" large gauge ground cable/wire goes to aft starter mounting bolt. There's a second, same gauge wire, that connects the front starter mounting bolt to the only/main frame ground point bolt (IOW, it connects/electrically bonds engine to frame), this is also where all the wiring grounds are bolted to. Remove the LH passenger foot-peg/bracket assy., you'll see it clearly and have access to it.

This is the case for most US models, some pre 2003 or other market models may have a different set-up.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 2:50 pm

zrx212 wrote:
... snipped ... There's a second, same gauge wire, that connects the front starter mounting bolt to the only/main frame ground point bolt (IOW, it connects/electrically bonds engine to frame), this is also where all the wiring grounds are bolted to.

So if I understand you correctly zrx212, I should be able to wire my ground bus bar directly to the "only/frame ground point bolt" instead of to the starter bolt?

This would certainly make for a cleaner, direct ground connection instead of connecting to the starter or elsewhere on the frame or battery itself.

zrx212, I appreciate your contribution to this discussion. Especially since that fella from the other site was probably right in saying we are a fairly quiet/boring site for gearheads ... lol ... at least sometimes. Wink
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 7:03 pm

" So if I understand you correctly zrx212, I should be able to wire my ground bus bar directly to the "only/frame ground point bolt" instead of to the starter bolt? "

Yes, additionally I would remove all grounds and clean any surface corrosion, bolt everything back up, then coat/encapsulate everything with a basic low odor clear or black silicone RTV, don't use high temp stuff, they have etching compounds that can promote corrosion. BTW, I'm not a fan of dielectric grease on mechanical electrical contacts, we never used it in aviation.

" This would certainly make for a cleaner, direct ground connection instead of connecting to the starter or elsewhere on the frame or battery itself. "

Yes, there's very limited room at battery terminals, especially if you already have a trickle charge harness there.

" zrx212, I appreciate your contribution to this discussion. Especially since that fella from the other site was probably right in saying we are a fairly quiet/boring site for gearheads ... lol ... at least sometimes. Wink "

It was kind of the subliminal way of saying the SW600 is reliable ride, with no major design or common/recurring mechanical issues, like the B.... silent no point on beating a .... silent
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2023 9:29 am

^^^ Good suggestions above zrx212 ^^^.

Would a quick spray of battery terminal protector do the same thing as the clear/black silicone RTV?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2023 12:38 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
^^^ Good suggestions above zrx212 ^^^.

Would a quick spray of battery terminal protector do the same thing as the clear/black silicone RTV?

Yes, that would work fine or any corrosion inhibitor that dries to a coating, not WD-40 scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Main Ground Cable Connections   Main Ground Cable Connections I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Main Ground Cable Connections
Page 1 of 1