Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?

Go down 
+4
exavid
DickO
honda_silver
DennisB
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? Empty
PostSubject: KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?   KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 7:14 pm

I was thinking of becoming a KOA campgrounds member. It looks like it would be a good thing if a person was on the road, tent camping with the silverwing. I went to their web site and it looks good.

Has any one been a member? Is it worth the $24.00 a year membership?

http://www.koa.com/tents/

DennisB
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?   KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 9:22 pm

DennisB wrote:
I was thinking of becoming a KOA campgrounds member. It looks like it would be a good thing if a person was on the road, tent camping with the silverwing. I went to their web site and it looks good.

Has any one been a member? Is it worth the $24.00 a year membership?

http://www.koa.com/tents/

http://koa.com/valuekard

Earn points for camping rewards
- Each time you stay at a KOA Kampground, you earn points. After you've
earned enough points, you can redeem them for rewards that can be used
for savings at any KOA Kampground.

10% Discount on Daily Registration Fees Good at all KOA Kampgrounds.*

At the closest KOA to me ... just for a comparison a one-night tent stay would be $24.39 with the membership discount it would be $21.95.

My first thought is that there are a lot of other cheaper campground alternatives ... I would be curious what others think.

Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?   KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 12:30 am

Hi Bill,
It's been a long while now, about 2 years, since we did some RV'ing out to the west coast from Kansas and back. I even took advantage of military sites which helped a lot but mainly we avoided the KOA sites only because of price. Usually they are very well equipped but you do have to pay. Can't quote prices but do personally believe you can do better if you shop around some. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?   KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 8:56 pm

We've traveled all over the 49 States with our truck camper. I don't see where the KOA membership is worth the cost. The savings just isn't enough to make it worthwhile unless you use their campgrounds all the time. In our case we don't go out of our way for a KOA unless one just happens to be handy. We prefer state and county campgrounds whenever possible.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?   KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Like others have said, they are a bit pricey when compared to other camgrounds. The good thing is you can "usually" count on a decent site and warm showers. We have camped at the Tulsa site close to DennisB's home and was pleased. I haven't renewed my membership in a few years because of the price and will just stay at whatever is available. Dick
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?   KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 1:43 pm

I have only stayed at one KOA (Kinda). It was back in the 80's and I had just road 600 miles on the bike and pulled in one near myrtle Beach. it was late and I just set up and went to sleep since they office was closed. The next morning I went to pay and they said that i could not stay as they had a policy of no motorcycles, but they wanted a whole days site rental. What!!!!!!!!
I payed for the 4 hrs that I was there. ( about five bucks instead of $30) they said that's not enough. they said they would call the police , I said go ahead. (bike was already packed) PROVE I was here last night and since you don't allow bikes, How could I have been in here anyway.

Never been back
MaxB
Back to top Go down
regors
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
regors

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?   KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 8:39 pm

I have stayed at a few KOA's because of convenance or because I wanted a hot shower or do some laundry. Never had a problem because I was on a motorcycle and the spots are usually decent. KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Atlanticfun
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?   KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:30 pm

I pack my scooters for long hauls with the intent on hitting only camp sites. My opinion, only an opinion, is KOA sucks. I stayed at a few, every time I did I remembered why they suck.
First, they are typically on the side of the road, usually a farm field.
Second, they cost more than a state park.
I find that waking up to radio disney blaring on a radio from 5 sites away, not cool man. I also had several times where the sites left for tents are kinda out in the open. No trees to block wind, road noise, nothing.

I will put up some pic.s of my AA500 set up for camping and I am working on getting the swing prepped. I will have these added to my album soon.

Actually I have posted some in the general chat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?   KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KOA Camp Ground Membership, Any Advantage?
Page 1 of 1