Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Need some ride stories!

Go down 
+3
Erdoc48
Dutch SilverWing
GHM-PM
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Need some ride stories! Empty
PostSubject: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2023 8:03 am

Any of you that can ride, I would appreciate some stories!

My ticker decided to misbehave, pretty serious, I guess and they installed a defib unit in my chest last week. It's why I haven't been around much the last 2 weeks.

Anyway, I am mending OK but have been told I cannot use my scooter for 1 to possibly 6 months... This does not make me happy but I suppose I better follow if I want to regain my scooter riding Wink

Hence the request in the title!

ps for those that receive "Scooter 'zine" magazine I will have an article in it!

Thanks guys (and gals).

Glenn
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2023 2:06 pm

Hello Glenn,

First of all, the best wishes for this year and that you'll be up and running before you'll know it.

Second and to give you an answer on your requist in the title. Smile

Last year I made my first time ever trip on my FJS400D from 2008.
A bucket list thing for me. Here's my story on that special trip I made.
Hope you enjoy it.
Get well Soon!

On June 3rd at 06:30 am I left the Netherlands for a holiday trip with my beautiful SiWi to Lake Garda in Italy. My youngest daughter had her internship there, in May and June.

My SiWi is a beautiful 2008 Heavy Gray Metallic FJS400D Silver Wing. 400 CC & 39 HP

I made a route for the outward journey, 1457 km from the Netherlands, through Germany, Austria and Italy.
I had planned 4 days for the outward journey, wanted to stay there for a few days and then drive back to the Netherlands.

Before departure, SiWi received a full and very extensive service, a front fork upgrade with Hyperpro springs was not forgotten, new Michelin City Grip 2, tires, new air and oil filters, new spark plugs, fresh oils and finally I also purchased a Givi AF214 Airflow screen.

Day 1 - June 3;
Departure; Hoorn, Netherlands – the 1st night in; Schauenburg, Germany;
Distance about 450 km, partly on the highways and partly on the back roads.

Day 2 - June 4;
Departure; Schauenburg, Germany – the 2nd night in; Oberickelsheim, Germany;
Distance about 270 km through beautiful German countryside and many back roads.

Day 3 - 5 June;
Departure; Oberickelheim, Bavaria Germany – through Austria and over the Alps – the 3rd night in; San Valentin alla Muta, South Tyrol Italy;
Distance about 400 km. Over mountain passes up to 1500 meters altitude and through the many beautiful valleys of the Alps in Austria and Italy.

Day 4 - June the 6th;
Departure; San Valentin alla Muta, South Tyrol Italy – Final Goal; San Felice del Benaco, Lake Garda Italy;
Distance about 350 km, part of which is driven on one of the famous Italian Autostradas.

Days 5, 6 & 7 - June 7, 8 and 9;
Those days were just a wonderful stay in San Felice del Benaco, Lake Garda, Italy.

Day 8 - Friday, June 10, 6:00 AM;
Departure;
San Felice del Benaco, Lake Garda Italy – Brenner Pass, FernPas Austria – Germany – Hoorn, Netherlands. Arrival; Saturday morning 11 June; 4:02 a.m.
Distance covered in 22 hours; 1,287 miles.

Over 8 days I drove an average of 1 ltr: 23 km and drove on the highways at an average speed of 110 km/h. When everything suddenly comes into a very good flow and you have the feeling that you are riding on rails, you're super fit, have the best weather in the world and SiWi flies through the kilometers without any problems or commentary.
Yes, then driving for 22 hours and 1,287 km, is actually just a great pleasure, especially when riding a Honda Silverwing.

I've had a fantastic experience

I would like to talk to everyone if they still have doubts about the excellent quality of our beautiful Silver Wings or with people who still doubt whether you should go on such a big trip with a 400CC/39PK maxi scooter.

Honda Silver Wing; FJS / FSC / JDM, 600 or 400 cc, they are just strong tour-maxi scooters with a beautiful design. And if you give them the right TLC they need, you'll get a friend for life.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Greetings from the Netherlands
Erik
Need some ride stories! 5-6-2211

Last edited by Dutch SilverWing on Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2023 6:18 pm

Thanks Erik! I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2023 7:01 pm

Sorry to hear about the defibrillator…I guess as long as it doesn’t discharge due to a rhythm disturbance, you should be riding hopefully soon- the cardiologist wouldn’t want you feeling like you’re going to pass out when riding just before the defib fires as those things hurt (I have been this told by patients in the past)! Worst is when the defib over senses, repeatedly shocking the person who has it.

On to the road stories (nope, don’t have one at this time).
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2023 7:42 am

This is not much of a story but likely one we all have experienced at one time.

It was a perfectly nice sunny day and the MVI was due.  Trying to pick a dry day to get to the dealer was becoming a challenge.  I refuse to ride in the rain.  So this was the day ...sunny relatively warm for late September and no wind.  I got ready and headed for the dealer.  Still great weather when leaving with a fresh sticker on the bike.  Great weather if looking east.  The turn out of the dealer was towards the west and in the west was the darkest clouds we had had in weeks.  As I headed towards home in that westerly direction rain falling in the distance was visible.  Then it caught up to me or me to it.  Started out mild enough but the real rain came soon enough in buckets.  Like a fire hose was pointed at me.  Just one more reason why we like Tim Hortons.  There was one nearby on my route.  I stopped in there in a drowned looking state and out waited out the storm.  Finally the sun came back and the streets dried enough to venture on my way.  So the moral of my little  story ...don't leave MVI time to the last minute because the weather can catch you.

Told you at the start it wasn't a great story ....

And I too am sorry to hear of your heart issues Glenn.  Sounds like you are under good care.  All the best, and my prayers for your recovery.

Mike
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2023 7:20 am

Thanks for the ride update Mike! I have been caught in the rain many times and my theory is it (while uncomfortable) makes a ride more memorable. As to me, I am progressing nicely, starting driving 4 wheelers yesterday. Hopefully I can start on the scooter in a few weeks!
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2023 10:31 pm

I will tell the story of my most harrowing experience while riding.  It was about 10 years ago and shortly after I bought the Goldwing in my avatar.  I visited a childhood pal to try to convince him to finally attend one of our high school reunions.  The skies were getting darker and darker and he wouldn't stop talking.

Finally I got up and started putting my rain gear on.  I made it down the two lane country road about a mile when I was hit on the right side by the most terrible wind and rain I have ever been in.  The rain was blown up behind my face shield so both sides of my glasses, my face shield, and my windshield were being pelted.  I literally could not see anything.  My biggest fear was on-coming traffic so I tried steering  slightly right against the wind while applying the brakes.

I don't know exactly what happened but when stopped the bike was laying on the centerline and I was lying in the middle on the on-coming lane.  I wasn't hurt and the winds had calmed rapidly so I stood up the bike and moved it to the right edge of the road.  At that time several cars came slowly down the road.  Their wipers couldn't keep up with the rain and that probably saved me from disaster.  It took a while for me to calm down and for the rain to become manageable.  Since that day I try hard to avoid riding in the rain.  I do so love riding in good weather.

May your recovery be rapid.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2023 6:35 pm

OK, 2 quick stories: First time on the Tail of the Dragon in 2020 I believe (Robbinsville, NC) - in rain as my ride mates were riding that day (not so great weather) that just worsened with time. Then it poured (and I’m still on the road with that)- no slides and I’m actually glad to have had the experience since it gave me more confidence riding in the rain (but still not a fan of riding that way- also really not a huge fan of Tail of the Dragon):

Need some ride stories! Eeb34610

Story 2: 2008, when visiting my brother in Colorado, I had rented a BMW R1200RT (really nice bike) but we were at the top of the mountain (don’t recall which one)- storm clouds roll in, lightning seems like it’s just above our heads, and my brother says ‘We have to get off the mountain, now!’. We put on rain gear quickly, then proceeded down the mountain, rain became small BB sized hail, and we really had to slow down…happily, no drops of the bike and I was grateful that we arrived safely (I think we arrived in Telluride, CO if memory serves correctly). My brother was riding his Vmax, so he had to be careful to just go really easy with that.

I am mostly a fair weather rider, but sometimes you just get stuck out in the worst weather.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2023 7:15 am

Thanks guys! I see the doctor in February and I am hoping to be able to get back to riding!!!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2023 12:16 pm

Hi Glenn, Prayers to you for a speedy and total recovery. These health problems really suck don't they?!

Most of my riding now that my Wife has passed consist of mainly local riding. Although some of it is long local rides. My Wife and I took two cycle trips to Pensacola, FL while she was still here and they were a BLAST!! I swear that sometimes when I'm out riding I can still feel her on the back. I turn my head and ask if she's enjoying the ride and I haven't gotten hit upside the head yet so I guess she still likes riding with me.
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 10:44 pm

Glenn, I hope you're back up on 2 wheels sooner, than later.

Dale, my condolences on the passing of your wife. Even though she's not swatting you on the side of your head, it seems like she still really enjoys being with you when you go for a ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some ride stories!   Need some ride stories! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need some ride stories!
Page 1 of 1