Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?

Go down 
+4
sonuvabug
steve_h80
GHM-PM
Cosmic_Jumper
8 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? Empty
PostSubject: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2022 2:45 pm

My SWing keeps dying in cold weather. (like 32F) the battery is only 2 years old but even when it was brand new it was a issue. I park it outside my apartment and lock & cover it over when im done. its my primary vehicle and i ride all year but as the seasons change im left high and dry sometimes. i know cars have a CCA battery thats designed for winter, do they have this for motorcycles as well? and if so one that can actually fit in the SWing.
for now im buying a portable jumper to keep with me as i was only lucky to get a jump at work.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2022 3:18 pm

When you decide to replace the battery go with a Yuasa YTZ14-S. It has 20 more CCA than the YTZ12-S. The OEM battery is Yuasa YTZ12-S. Yuasa is a premium battery manufacturer, so don’t expect to find a bargain price. The YTZ12-S is 210 CCA; the YTZ14-S is 230 CCA. Both the 12-S and 14-S are the exact same size and have the same pole configuration.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2022 7:54 pm

Unfortunately, besides all good aspects of modern AGM Batteries, cold weather/low temperatures still affect voltage/amperage/capacity similarly as the old acid flooded type, so at 32F you could be down to 80% of your battery full charge, more so depending on time hours/days outside and overall battery condition, in other words, your battery is literally dead before you push the start button, a larger/more cranking amps battery will hold out better, but unless it's used regularly/daily, it should be either trickle charged, kept in a warm place or both. Maybe find a spot/way to run a extension cord to trickle charge. The constant discharging due to cold weather, etc., has probably diminished capacity already. You could use the booster to get going in an emergency, but I don't recommend regular use, not good for charging system components.
In the other hand a properly set-up Lithium battery with built in BMS (battery management system) will work in all temperatures, just turn high beam on for 5-10 seconds before cranking thumbs up
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2022 7:54 am

I use an YTZ12-S battery in my SWing and my Forza. That works fine but a couple of points to consider:

1. My SWing is based in Arizona and is garaged. Not that cold.

2. My Forza lives in cold country but is in a shed with a battery maintainer for the winter.

Another point, I don't buy an expensive battery but I replace them every two years without fail. Cost about 1/5th what a Yuasa does but I could replace them yearly and still save $$$. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2022 4:30 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
When you decide to replace the battery go with a Yuasa YTZ14-S. It has 20 more CCA than the YTZ12-S. The OEM battery is Yuasa YTZ12-S. Yuasa is a premium battery manufacturer, so don’t expect to find a bargain price. The YTZ12-S is 210 CCA; the YTZ14-S is 230 CCA. Both the 12-S and 14-S are the exact same size and have the same pole configuration.
I think I'll look into that, I took a look at my current battery and it's a measly 120 cca duralast. Question, When it comes to amps is their any danger levels I should avoid or is their a too high of a amperage?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2022 3:14 am

Why not use a solar trickle charger to keep the battery topped up?
You would need to find some way of attaching it to the cover or fixing it to a nearby wall, I appreciate if you have thieving vermin in the area this might not be too good an idea.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2022 3:17 am

steve_h80 wrote:
Why not use a solar trickle charger to keep the battery topped up?
You would need to find some way of attaching it to the cover or fixing it to a nearby wall, I appreciate if you have thieving vermin in the area this might not be too good an idea.

Yea Cant do that, im in a VERY high theft area. they dont even care about the cameras half the time. for now i got a small portable jumper until i decide to get that upgraded battery.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2022 7:23 am

This is the outfit I use. Never any problems. This is the 14 that Cosmic Jumper spoke rather than the YTZ12S.

https://www.batterysharks.com/Yuasa-YTZ14S-p/ytz14s_m12-11.2-230-k.htm
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2022 4:35 pm

XDM:copyright: wrote:
... snipped ... Question, When it comes to amps is their any danger levels I should avoid or is their a too high of a amperage?

If you stick to batteries that physically fit in the SWing's battery compartment, you will not ever get a battery with "too high of an amperage" rating to fit. Our Burgman 400 currently has a FTZ 14-BS battery up from the original FTZ 9-BS and there are no issues. BTW - the "S" stands for factory supplied/installed acid and the BS stands for "bottle supplied" where the buyer must install the acid themselves post purchase.

At the price of the battery in the link you included, you can afford to get a new one of the off brands every season. By comparison, the Yuasa batteries are much more expensive. However, they last a long, long time if properly maintained. I recall our original 2004 Burgman battery lasting over a decade.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2022 9:57 am

I've have used the Batteries Plus "Duracell Ultra" batteries with great results and they are local, one in my Burgman now, surprisingly the cheap no brand in my SW600 still going strong at almost 3 years old, they have a "seasonal" 20% discount on online purchases, pickup in store and get your core charge back.

The Duracell Ultra 14AH-BS 12V 220CCA AGM Powersport Battery, will cost approx. $110 OTD (after discount and core return), depending on state taxes/disposal fees ??

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery-tips/powersport

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/cylaz14sxta

Last edited by zrx212 on Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:48 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Wrong battery size on previous link, corrected.)
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2022 10:22 am

zrx212 wrote:
I've have used the Batteries Plus "Duracell Ultra" batteries with great results and they are local, one in my Burgman now, surprisingly the cheap no brand in my SW600 still going strong at almost 3 years old, they have a "seasonal" 20% discount on online purchases, pickup in store and get your core charge back.

The Duracell Ultra 14AH-BS 12V 220CCA AGM Powersport Battery, will cost approx. $120 OTD (after discount and core return), depending on state taxes/disposal fees ??

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery-tips/powersport

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/cyl10003?variationCode=VI790980

I notice the "H" in the battery product descriptor. At 6.5" tall, isn't it too tall to fit into the SWing's battery cubby?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2022 10:36 am

" I notice the "H" in the battery product descriptor. At 6.5" tall, isn't it too tall to fit into the SWing's battery cubby?"

Yes, I just caught that myself, this one should work, I'll edit ...

Last edited by zrx212 on Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2022 11:24 am

zrx212 wrote:
" I notice the "H" in the battery product descriptor. At 6.5" tall, isn't it too tall to fit into the SWing's battery cubby?"

Yes, I just caught that myself, this one should work, I'll edit ... https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/cyl10001

With all due respect, I think you'll need to edit your edit as it doesn't appear that one will fit either.

The FSM states a battery size of 6" x 3-7/16" x 4-3/8" (150mm x 87mm x 110mm) LxWxH.

I just physically measured my SWing and there would be no way to install a battery much taller than 4-1/2 inches.

The YUASA catalogue list their YTZ 14S battery as having the same dimensions as their YTZ 12S or YTZ 12BS batteries (the SWing's OEM battery size stated above).

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a YTZ 14"BS" (bottle supplied) made, with the lower height, that I could find so people have to pay the higher, factory acid "Supplied" price for an "S" battery.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2022 12:24 pm

" Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a YTZ 14"BS" (bottle supplied) made, with the lower height, that I could find so people have to pay the higher, factory acid "Supplied" price for an "S" battery. "

Thanks for pointing that out, again Thumbs, my thinking cap was a little crooked this am, after last nights "season celebrations party" Dancing Santa (have to be use proper terms nowadays)
IAC, they actually have a replacement battery that fits and it's cheaper scratch , edited my previous post. Just to be sure, I went out to scooter check cavity and my "No Brand" battery dimensions Cool

BTW, the oem replacement battery at Ron Ayers (USA) is reasonable cost considering is a "Yuasa", but I don't believe is JDM as original equipped (better quality), possibly US made in Pennsylvania ? and still 210 CCA, in any case buying from a local vendor will give you a warranty recourse, not sure on a mail order purchase scratch
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2022 1:35 pm

The Lithium Ion battery I put in mine S'Wing 5 years ago left with the bike this summer, it's still in and doing fine. The only maintenance was putting the Battery Tender on it overnight once in a while. I have 6 others some that are at least 8 years old that I use for string trimmers, chainsaw ect. they are good and do very well until they don't. It's either good or bad no slow cranking.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 9:15 am

I found by trial and error that If your swing has injection, Lithium Ion is the best way to go, It'll be the first time your starter has had a true 12 v supply, and you will hear/feel the difference. Transformed both my Burgman Skywave and my Swing.
After some unusually cold nights here in the UK, Lithium started first fire on each...
If your worried by the low Ah of Lithium, don't be you can get bigger(same package size) if you think you need it, just dearer, although personally I'm happy with stock one.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 5:22 pm

JohnyC wrote:
I found by trial and error that If your swing has injection, Lithium Ion is the best way to go, It'll be the first time your starter has had a true 12 v supply, and you will hear/feel the difference. Transformed both  my Burgman Skywave and my Swing.
After some unusually cold nights here in the UK, Lithium started first fire on each...
If your worried by the low Ah of Lithium, don't be you can get bigger(same package size) if you think you need it, just dearer, although personally I'm happy with stock one.

i have been interested in those Lithium Ion batteries but i was wondering why they were more expensive and if they were winter tolerant.
question on that. can i still charge it like a regular battery at home? i have a battery charger for vehicle batteries, can that still work for it?
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 6:11 pm

They do require a LiFePO4 charger, I found a cheap one on Ebay, one of the new wave of multi use chargers, not that I have used it yet.
The swings never more than a couple of days under cover so batteries always fully charged.
Have you tested for a parasitic leak on the battery or do you use a tracker, they kill any battery.

Not allowed to leave a link to the charger, but I have tested it on lead, AGM and Lithium so far.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 6:14 pm

When I say not used it yet, not in anger on the scoots, pure bench testing.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 6:25 pm

JohnyC wrote:
They do require a LiFePO4 charger, I found a cheap one on Ebay, one of the new wave of multi use chargers, not that I have used it yet.
The swings never more than a couple of days under cover so batteries always fully charged.
Have you tested for a parasitic leak on the battery or do you use a tracker, they kill any battery.

Not allowed to leave a link to the charger, but I have tested it on lead, AGM and Lithium so far.

ok so that new charger is backwards compatible with lead? that's good. perhaps ill sell my current charger and get that so im able to charge regular car batteries too.
i don't have anything connected to the battery besides a phone charger BUT that is physically turned off when im not using it. my issue is what i suspect above, the cca was WAY to low to begin with. looking into it i should have 200+ and i only have 140 so ANY little cold weather will kill it.
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 8:38 pm

JohnyC wrote:

I find this whole got have a special charger interesting as we put that / those batteries right into the S'Wing regardless of year and yet no one seems to have reported a problem keeping them charged doing that. ???
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2022 12:03 am

These batteries have built in BMS(Battery Management System) you can use most regular chargers, but should not need to charge it much or at all, if used regularly/normally. In any case, scroll down and read PDF user manual on this page, this battery will fit, check around, maybe find better deal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQWFS7Z?tag=batterytechie-se-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

I've not personally used them, but had several friends that used them successfully in winter months when I lived in NC.
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2022 8:48 am

zrx212 wrote:
These batteries have built in BMS(Battery Management System) you can use most regular chargers, but should not need to charge it much or at all, if used regularly/normally. In any case, scroll down and read PDF user manual on this page, this battery will fit, check around, maybe find better deal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQWFS7Z?tag=batterytechie-se-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

I've not personally used them, but had several friends that used them successfully in winter months when I lived in NC.

zero problems with the cold here when I had it and yes they seldom needed an extra boost from a charger. Like any battery cold cuts into use, look at how the range is cut down on the new Electric Vehicles not just from the cold but to from using a battery to keep warm, all this without an on-board charging system.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 6:46 pm

for the sake of wrapping up this thread, i was again having the issue this year too and just one week ago i decided to get a Lithium ION battery (NOCO Lithium NLP14 12V) its 500 CCA and t does WONDERS! fast, strong cranks even in 30 degrees F!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?   CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CCA (cold cranking amps) battery for a motorcycle?
Page 1 of 1