Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cranking, bad starting and badly running.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Finnwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2019-06-09

Cranking, bad starting and badly running. Empty
PostSubject: Cranking, bad starting and badly running.   Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi guys,
I am a wing rider from Finland and owned my 2002 wing for 7years.

Now it started to mess with me. Tried to search but didn't find similar problem.

Engine cranks good. Spark is good and new plugs installed. Starting is very poor and if I get it running it sounds like it's running on one, smoke is coming from exhaust and gas smells pretty strong. Spark plugs are soaked with gas when opened, could it be coil or map-sensor? I measured coil from cap to cap and reading was 33kohms.

Thank you already 😊
Regards, Pasi
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Cranking, bad starting and badly running.   Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Plug? or plugs? Change to a new set and see if that makes a difference while you sort out the rest. Has the bike been in regular use? Did this suddenly happen from one day to the next?
Back to top Go down
Finnwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cranking, bad starting and badly running.   Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2019 11:54 pm

Hi,
New set of plugs installed, no effect.
Bike has been in regular use before the winter, there was a signs of bad starting just before winter stand. Now season is starting but the bike is not🤔
So I suppose it happened suddenly.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Cranking, bad starting and badly running.   Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 5:15 am

Finnwing wrote:

Engine cranks good. Spark is good and new plugs installed. Starting is very poor and if I get it running it sounds like it's running on one, smoke is coming from exhaust and gas smells pretty strong. Spark plugs are soaked with gas when opened

Coupled with ....

Finnwing wrote:
Hi,

Bike has been in regular use before the winter, there was a signs of bad starting just before winter stand. Now season is starting but the bike is not

Makes me think stale fuel that has absorbed atmospheric moisture, I'd start by draining & cleaning the fuel system, refill with fresh fuel
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Cranking, bad starting and badly running.   Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 6:29 am

Threesome of elements for good running: air, fuel and spark. So far: spark is good, fuel and air unknown. Check the air box, I think you'll find illegal boarders in there, or a dirty and clogged air filter. Dump a good amount of Seafoam or other injector cleaner in the tank while you are at it.
Sometimes it is as simple as that. Good luck.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Cranking, bad starting and badly running.   Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 6:57 am

+1 to what Jay said about the air filter. Also you might check the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Given the age of your Silverwing the FPR may have deteriorated. IIRC there is an easy FPR test in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) and the FPR is easy to replace.

Sorry, I don't have my FSM at hand right now but I'll edit this post later to reference the FPR test procedure.

Tim

[Edit] Sorry I'm unable to locate the test procedure for the FPR, but if you have fuel in the vacuum line then, yes, the FPR is bad.

Ignore the full procedure in the FSM, p 5-102, and just disconnect the vacuum and fuel return lines then unscrew the jam nut from the fuel rail. No need to remove the throttle body or fuel rail. IIRC I used an adjustable crescent wrench on the jam nut.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)
Back to top Go down
Finnwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cranking, bad starting and badly running.   Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 7:05 am

Thank you all so much, I appreciate your tips.
I think that FPR might be the prob. There was fuel on the thinner tube (vacuum)? That ain't normal, right?

-Pasi-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cranking, bad starting and badly running.   Cranking, bad starting and badly running. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cranking, bad starting and badly running.
Page 1 of 1