Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby Boating123 Today at 6:48 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  Empty
PostSubject: Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones    Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 4:28 pm

Don't! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones    Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 9:27 pm

Personal experience gone wrong??
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones    Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 3:19 am

No, it was a crossover from another topic about 'poor man's hyperpros'. However, it got me thinking about how many Cobblestone streets there are left which are still used for traffic?

I know of one in Crewe, Cheshire and one or two in Oxford. Apart from the rough ride they're treacherous in the wet small moped
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones    Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 4:01 am

Alston used to be cobbled until recently. Besides the discomfort and risk of a slide I hated the sound of every part of the bike rattling.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones    Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 4:02 am

Your mentioning Oxford and slippery roads reminds me that when I was at college near Oxford, Queen Street, a major thoroughfare in central Oxford, was pedestrianised.
As is usually the case, buses and delivery vehicles were still allowed access.
What no-one considered was the surface of the beautiful stone slabs laid down until, that was, the first bus drove on and put its brakes on.
No prizes for guessing whether or not the bus stopped!

Edit: I survived West Flanders for four years; many streets are cobbled there, not least in Bruges, close to where we lived and which we visited almost daily.

Last edited by MikeO on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones    Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 1:11 pm

I grew up in Carlisle and there were plenty of cobbled roads, streets, and lanes in the city centre back then. All traffic on it's way to and from Scotland on the A6 came through Carlisle back then.

A few cobbled side streets still exist, I used a couple as a short cut to the Hein Gericke store back in the day. I can also think of a few West Cumbrian towns where there's cobbled streets.

York has cobbled streets, from the narrow medieval Shambles, to areas round York Minster where period houses and cobblestone streets are popular for television crews filming costume dramas like ‘Gentleman Jack'.

North Yorkshire market towns like Richmond, Skipton, and Thirsk have large areas of cobblestones which when weekly markets aren't on are used for car parking.

Haworth, a village in West Yorkshire usually associated with the Brontë sisters has a very steep High Street. I was there last year and was very impressed to watch a couple gritty middle aged ladies from the Queensbury Queens of the Mountains Cycle Club pedalling up it.  Respect ladies. 👍

Of course cobblestones can be treacherous when it's raining, but so are roads where the surface has been planed grooved and left for weeks before resurfacing.

I used to enjoy an occasional ride into the Yorkshire Dales for a meal a Skipton Pie & Mash before it closed.  It was located in a Victorian building near the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. There was limited off street parking in the yard beside it.

The yard was surfaced with large rounded cobblestones, very uneven, with a gutter running along the length of the cobbles. Riding in and out was OK, but parking the Silver Wing, and later the Forza was a bit of a challenge. If I was lucky I could use the main stand, if not there was a bit of juggling to find the right place to use the side stand securely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones    Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding the Silverwing on Cobblestones
Page 1 of 1