Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 9:04 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002

Go down 
+2
B&M
dovahkiin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2022-05-09

Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 Empty
PostSubject: Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002   Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2022 9:35 am

Hey guys!

Planned a "free & easy" ride into the southern tip of Malaysia on my country's National Day. I attempted my first ever day trip which spanned for roughly ~350km.

Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 Day_tr10
The itinerary for today: Singapore -> Johor Bahru -> Mersing -> Kluang -> Johor Bahru -> Singapore

Fortunately, I had a friend to ride with. He's the one with the Yamaha XSR155. Made the experience all the more better with our bluetooth headset comms.

Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 Swing_11
Our first stop in Mersing, Malaysia.

Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 Swing_13
An impromptu pitstop at a local bee farm. Bought a bottle of all-natural honey.

Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 Swing_12
Another pitstop before we rode back home.

Now, to plan a trip up into Thailand... Razz
Back to top Go down
B&M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2020-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002   Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2022 5:44 pm

Great pics! Adventuring on your Silverwing always feels great! Keep the updates coming and plenty of pics from your next trip to Thailand!
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002   Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2022 7:01 am

B&M wrote:
Great pics! Adventuring on your Silverwing always feels great! Keep the updates coming and plenty of pics from your next trip to Thailand!

Thank you! Always great to feel the wind and go the distance with the Silverwing. Mighty fine maxi scooter.

Some thoughts after riding the Silverwing over a long distance:

Handling: The handling is really great. Had lots of gentle bends and tight 'S' bends throughout the trip. The Silverwing handled it all with ease. I felt secure and comfortable throughout.

Wind drafts: I experienced some issues with wind drafts from oncoming trailer trucks. Was never subjected to much oncoming trailer trucks in Singapore. On my day trip, my Silverwing and I had to 'fight' various instances of wind drafts. Perhaps having a better windshield (mine is neither original nor Givi) would have better combated this issue.

Fuel consumption: My fuel consumption in Singapore is generally 20km/L (47mpg); this is largely due to many traffic lights and lots of stop & go moments. On my day trip, however, I was averaging 25km/L (58.8mpg). That is darn amazing.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002   Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2022 11:22 am

Yes, the ‘secret’ to better fuel economy is a steady hand on the throttle. Stop & Go traffic will inevitably cause more fuel to be consumed. 4500 RPM seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy as well. Hold it there on a flat roadway and you may well get over 300km on a tankful. All bets are off after 5000 rpm.

On another note: your windscreen looks remarkably like an original Silverwing screen. But perhaps it is increased-height accessory Honda screen. An adjustable Givi AF-214 would both give better weather protection as well as help with that tractor trailer wind draft. The non-adjustable Givi 214 screen is better than the original Silverwing screen but pales in comparison to the AF-214 screen.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002   Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2022 7:40 am

Thanks for sharing your ride! It is great when someone discovers how great the Silver Wing does on a long ride! Keep the ride reports coming...
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002   Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2022 8:30 pm

That looked like a very fun trip. Thanks for the photos. My wife,when she was alive, and I used to go for rides to pretty much anywhere for breakfast. Today I think I can still feel her on the back of my SWing. Sure miss our rides together.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002   Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 9:35 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Yes, the ‘secret’ to better fuel economy is a steady hand on the throttle. Stop & Go traffic will inevitably cause more fuel to be consumed. 4500 RPM seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy as well. Hold it there on a flat roadway and you may well get over 300km on a tankful. All bets are off after 5000 rpm.

On another note: your windscreen looks remarkably like an original Silverwing screen. But perhaps it is increased-height accessory Honda screen. An adjustable Givi AF-214 would both give better weather protection as well as help with that tractor trailer wind draft. The non-adjustable Givi 214 screen is better than the original Silverwing screen but pales in comparison to the AF-214 screen.

My Silverwing actually came with the AF-214(?) windscreen. Unfortunately, the previous owner had an accident with the Swing and messed it up along with the rest of the front panel tabs.

Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 Silver10
Photo of my Silverwing after a detail taken by its previous owner. This was 3-4 weeks before I saw it and bought it.

The current windshield is old with its trimming falling off; I can technically pull it off and there's dried up glue crud that I can probably scrape off. It was also scratched up, but I scoured a few rounds of Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner onto the windshield. Took the fine scratches and dirt off pretty nicely.

The front is currently held up by black zipties and sheer will; not sure if I should take the plunge and re-install a new AF-214 onto my baby. Sure feels like it still has a lot of life left in it, though I am still considering...

Also, thank you for the comments @GHM-PM and @Dale N!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002   Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 1:07 pm

I notice that the 'Silverwing' badges are missing from the rear side panels....I've been considering removing mine but wasn't sure how it would look. I've never been a fan of badges Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002   Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Attempted my first ever day trip on a FJS4002
Page 1 of 1