Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Honda Repair Shop

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
KentuckyEd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-07-08

Honda Repair Shop Empty
PostSubject: Honda Repair Shop   Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 3:11 pm

So I'm shopping for tires and go to my friendly local non-chain greasy spoon type tire shop that always is friendly and can get me the best deal and they tell me that they can't get motorcycle or scooter tires because their contacts don't carry them. Not a big enough market. Then they tell me that the local (and only Honda dealer in Louisville, KY) won't work on anything more than 7 years old. Their mechanics don't know the older bikes??? Where do I live, the wasteland called America???

So I call the Honda dealer and they say, you're right we don't work on anything that old. They can order me tires (at a greatly marked up price I'm sure) and while they will install them on my rims, they'd rather that I take the scoot somewhere else to get them mounted, especially since they're backed up about 6 weeks on shop work now. They suggest that I check out local independent motorcycle repair shops for any work that I may need.

Good Grief! So I'll order my Hoop tires on line and try to find new valve stems there too. Ron Ayers, here I come.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Honda Repair Shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Repair Shop   Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 4:08 pm

" won't work on anything more than 7 years old. Their mechanics don't know the older bikes??? Where do I live, the wasteland called America???"
" especially since they're backed up about 6 weeks on shop work now. "

Purty much standard nowdays, they don't work on anything older because it may have real mechanical issues, that require real mechanical skills, also customers are less likely to spend major coin on a older bike, add to that the fact, that scooters are usually harder to work on, etc., etc., ...
The shop waiting time is also completely normal, lot's of people waiting on parts for warranty repairs for months, now of this guy that's been waiting since late May for August appointment, providing parts are available. Yes, he is making payments on it, while it sits, no loaners.

Thus the reason extended warranties/service plans with loaner car, etc., are big sellers $$$$ to non mechanical folk.

Back to top Go down
KentuckyEd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-07-08

Honda Repair Shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Repair Shop   Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 4:30 pm

Hey, I've got my tires, valve stems, new belt and variator case air filter element on order from Ron Ayers. Nice people I guess, glad to take my money. Also went on eBay and ordered a set of Dr. Pulley 26 gram sliders. Why not. Lets do the whole enchilada.

I've always done my own service work on cars and motorcycles. Did my own plumbing and electrical work, installed my own vinyl plank flooring, etc., etc. But now that I'm 71 and getting a bit older I thought that I'd be able to slow down a bit, especially with the arthritis. But I guess not yet.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Honda Repair Shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Repair Shop   Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 4:57 pm

83,daily rider since 1955, lots of miles---ride only new bikes, use them to 50,000 miles and get rid of, in US use dealer only for warranty, otherwise do not want them to screw anything up---waiting to buy next new bike, probably Honda 125 Super Cub---like ease of rear wheel removal, valve adjust.

With older SilverWing, just because it is old, they might screw something up just removing rear wheel and do they have muffler gasket in stock? And modern scooters do have complicated rear wheel removal. I had Vespas where rear wheel came off easy(left side) Bike came new with spare tire and little prop to hold rear end a little off ground. Now? for example Honda flat rate in US is 7.2 hours for new PCX Valve inspection/adjust---that is why I will not buy one. Bad design!!

Based on lifetime for riding and over 40 years outside of US----I do not think presently bike dealer work shops, in US not too great in most cases. Now Japan---very good---Korea fine, my case Daelim----Germany ?? even with BMW not so hot and very expensive----Italy fine for BMW and Vespa.

Today if I had old SilverWing, I would do everything myself, scooter tire work not fun, even with all the proper equipment, I use Ride On as balance medium. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Honda Repair Shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Repair Shop   Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 5:29 pm

Ed

The Silverwing is pretty much bulletproof and easy to service with a few basic tools. A Factory Service Manual (FSM) is well worth the investment —and significantly less costly than an hour’s shop time. Ebay is your friend.

Removing the rear wheel is one of the more tedious DIY jobs you’ll run into. And even that isn’t all that bad.

So remove the rear wheel and take it and the new tire & valve stem to your friendly local m/c shop and have them do the job. Resist the urge to relocate the valve stem. If its switched to the left side it will inevitably hit the left swingarm. And DO reinstall the little valve stem support. Otherwise the right angle stem will vibrate up & down and loose pressure or, at worse, break off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Honda Repair Shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Repair Shop   Honda Repair Shop I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda Repair Shop
Page 1 of 1