Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 6:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 10:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 2:15 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:27 am

» New to Me Swing
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Modular helmets?

Go down 
+12
john grinsel
Erdoc48
The Dude
BrianInVA
Meldrew
Michel Vachon
steve_h80
Dale N.
chilled-loud
GHM-PM
MikeO
Loosemarbles
16 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-18

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 2:51 am

Is anyone using a modular helmet? I realize they’ve been out for years and are quite common now. I’ve always wanted one but never could justify both the extra cost and seeming compromise in crash worthiness with the modular chin bar.

My current HJC full face helmet is fifteen years old now and it was way (!) overdue for replacement.

I found an unused in the original box HJC i90 modular helmet in my size on eBay on Wednesday, being offered by a Delaware pawn and jewelry shop for half what I’d pay for a new one at the local Honda dealership, so I took a chance with a lowball offer and they accepted it. It even still had the plastic cling wrap on the visor.

It already arrived today. Frankly I’m really pleased with the fit, finish, comfort and options. This one is certified to be used with the modular chin bar open or closed while moving and has the drop down sun visor. I didn’t choose the color but I’ll get used to it.

Does anyone have any pros or cons with modular helmets?Modular helmets? B6a6b610
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 6:59 am

Y'know this tiresome full face or modular v open face helmet debate has been a staple on forums for years. For example, 'I'd never wear an open face because full face helmets are much safer'.

Yet in the vast majority of fatal motorcycle crashes, accidents, and collisions over here where  helmets are compulsory, the fatality will have been wearing a full face helmet.

I like open face helmets, I'm on my fifth high end one, and I've an peaked adventure style flip front I'll wear if low winter sun or cold weather is an issue.
They're just helmets, I wear them seasonally, pretty much like the the rest of my riding gear I have.

Personally I wouldn’t keep a helmet knocking about 15 years, much less keep wearing it. Neither would I go helmet shopping in a junk shop even if the helmet was boxed.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 8:48 am

For me it's very simple. I like the protection from the elements, the warmth and the quietness of my modular helmet. If I get too warm, I just flip up the front and hey presto, open face helmet thumbs up
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 9:32 am

I share Loosemarble's reasons for wearing modular helmets althogh my Nolan N44 & N70 helmets are, I think, described as 'crossover' since the chin bar on both is removeable.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 12:15 pm

I enjoy the modular helmets as well. Much easier for me with the eyeglasses and such as stated above. That said the modular helmets seem to be heavier but if you can live with that, no problem. In actuality, I also prefer the open face models but my primary helmet is a modular.

Would never buy a "used" helmet, but in Brian's case it sounds like he found new one. As long as the date isn't way out of sync I think he scored. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-05-11

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 5:25 pm

This summer you’ll be thanking yourself with the modular, that’s for sure!
Even if it’s just a quick breather with it up at a stop, it’s wonderful. In terms of safety vs a regular full face: I know folks get scared of them unlatching, but truthfully it’s not likely. There’s also a lot of info on efficacy of individual helmets in the SHARP guide (link for posterity) https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
All in all, nothing would be sold to ya (from a legit place or brand) that isn’t gonna work out. All about preference.
Happy riding
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 6:00 pm

I just found it’s date of manufacture sticker - May 2021.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 7:39 pm

Out of curiosity I pulled out my old HJC full face helmet to check. The date on it is October 2006. Oops.

In my defense, I did have a full face Reevu helmet for a number of years too, but sold it after I sold my NC750X, so I had “retired” my old HJC a good while back. I only pulled it out when I picked up my Silverwing, knowing it needed replaced asap.

The Reevu was a great helmet. It’s the one with the built in periscopic rear view mirror. But their helmets are out of my price range now (if they’re even available) as I’m on a limited income.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-14

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2022 5:24 am

I use an open faced helmet for no other reason than I'd have to try drilling a hole in the visor for my cigarette to stick through but when I exhaled the smoke it would fill the helmet for a few seconds and I couldn't see anything.
YUP! Some things are important... LOL
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2022 12:38 pm

I bet you use one those handlebar mounted ashtrays too Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-14

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2022 6:38 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
I bet you use one those handlebar mounted ashtrays too Laughing

Naw! I just put it in my pocket... chickendance And I dance around like this when my jacket catches on fire. LOL
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2022 8:21 am

I've had flip lids for year's, a good compromise between the safety of a full face and risk of an open face.
The only problem I had with HJC was it wasn't comfortable with my glasses after an hour or so.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-27

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2022 3:28 pm

Hello Bryan,

I ride with a Shark evo-one-2 and love it. Close  for high way and less noise/wind  in town open for more air in hot weather. (Color white to be seen.)

Michel

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evo-one-2-helmet
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2022 4:07 pm

No one is going to convince me riding with the chin guard raised on a flip front helmet is good practice. I know you can buy them now where you can lock the chin guard into the raised position. I've ridden for short distances with the chin guard raised on flip fronts, and I don't think 'Oo I've now got a nice open face helmet', it's more I've got this wind catching sail on top of my helmet. Especially with the adventure style peak on my Schuberth E1 flip front.

There's other styles of helmet where you can push the chin guard right over to the back of the helmet, Roof, Shark, and LS2 are helmet manufacturers that come to mind.

Very nice I'm sure in hot weather, and there was quite a few riders wearing that style of helmet with the chin guard pushed back on the Hull to Rotterdam ferry on Wednesday evening and on Saturday evenings return ferry.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2022 5:22 am

I personally don’t anticipate riding with the chin bar up, but I want to be able to raise it when stopped to fuel up, or make it easier to take a drink, cool off at stop lights, talk to those I’m riding with, etc. Also I wanted a helmet I could put on or take off without taking off my glasses.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-21

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 6:59 am

The LS2 Valiant Ii is a great Modular. The chin piece flips all the way back. Built in retractable sun shade. Ships with a bag, and an actual back pack and a pin-lock anti-fog system. I got the metallic white.

LS2 Helmets Valiant II Modular Helmet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084DF66Z5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_9KT310WKP6FSK7MVWN9T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 7:06 am

My other helmet is a YEMA. Good deal for a modular, but very comfortable even as a full face. Also has sunshade. I just got a new visor for it. When I heard the bad news for.black/dark helmets I don't wear it very often.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 9:17 am

The Dude wrote:
When I heard the bad news for.black/dark helmets I don't wear it very often.

So what's this bad news for black/dark helmets then?

Helmet manufacturers offer a matt or gloss black version of just about every helmet in their range. It's a popular colour for bikers, whether you want to look bad ass or match it to a bike or maxi scooter.

Buying a helmet in black is also a way of saving money if you want a particular helmet and don't want to pay extra for a fancy paint job or graphics.

I've owned a Arai SZ open face in gloss black and it was a very good helmet, I replaced it with the silver version. My current Schuberth M1 open face is matt black with black reflective stickers on it. It's a really comfortable helmet and I'll wear it until the winter months when I'll change to a peaked flip front helmet.

A dark or black helmet may absorb heat in hot weather, whereas a white or light coloured helmet will reflect it. Here in the UK it isn't a problem, it may have been in the past when helmets were primitive by todays standards. Nowadays the ventilation systems on modern helmets allow cooling air around the head and pretty much solves that issue.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 9:36 am

The Dude wrote:
Are you referring to this?

https://motorcyclebrave.com/best-color-for-a-motorcycle-helmet/

Modular helmets? Dc1b4010
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 11:59 am

I think you will like a modular- I ride with Shoei Neotec helmets (version 1) and they’re really comfortable and I love the option of opening it when at a traffic light. I have stop lights on the back so they flash when I brake as well. I also at times use a Shoei J-Cruise helmet (3/4) with drop down shield and built in sunshield. Unfortunately nothing will protect you in all circumstances. I ride the scooter like the ST1100’s- full gear all the time, so jeans, boots, armored shirts and Hit-Air airbag vest. There’s too many people not paying attention out there.

I’ve also outfitted the Silverwing (as my ST1100s have) with LED taillights (are brighter and go on more quickly), an LED flasher on the back when I brake, LED headlights (both low and high beam). The last think I need is a new Stebel horn if I can find one as the OEM one is really pathetic.

When in doubt, go a little slower and be seen (and heard if necessary)!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 12:27 pm

To me the color of a helmet is important. Being seen is a good thing. The list above does not mention the day-glo green color which my last helmet was. My new GMAX is black with Day-glo stripes on it. But with that said the most IMPORTANT feature for a helmet is FIT!!! No helmet is effective if it is strapped to your sissy bar because it hurts your head...LOL We have all seen that!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 3:31 pm

As somebody who has ridden a lot in the past---right now waiting to buy new bike/scooter----had one Modular helmet- Schobert----too heavy, stunk from glue, yes easy to get on----I find in recent years, GMAX 3/4 with their face shield, when required, otherwise long Duck Bill (getting harder to find), safety glasses, foam ear plug---with proper/well-designed windshield (look over), bright color=work fine for 8 hour days. @$40 or so I got 2 new a year---meaning always riding in fresh helmet, when riding 30-40,000 miles a year. Something to remember---helmets do not prevent accidents---skillful and alert riding do! and luck. My age, 83, I might splat in accident situation anyway.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 5:28 pm

I'm curious about this practice of 'opening the helmet at traffic lights', why do you feel the need to do this when wearing a modular helmet, is there a specific reason? If there is I can't think of one.

There's half a dozen or more sets of traffic lights within a mile of my home, and I've never once felt the need to do that wearing my flip front helmet while waiting for the lights to change.

Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 5:47 pm

Lifting the face of the helmet is awkward with gloves on and even more awkward to close it and latch it. Having an intercom microphone makes things even worse. I'm not sure it's a quick enough procedure for when that light goes green!

Surely, just flipping up the visor at traffic lights is enough Question
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 5:58 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I'm curious about this practice of 'opening the helmet at traffic lights', why do you feel the need to do this when wearing a modular helmet, is there a specific reason? If there is I can't think of one.

There's half a dozen or more sets of traffic lights within a mile of my home, and I've never once felt the need to do that wearing my flip front helmet while waiting for the lights to change.

Yes. Primarily staying well hydrated. I overheat easily otherwise because past strokes messed up my internal thermostat in my brain. I can’t easily drink through my visor on my current full face helmet but I will be able to when I flip up my modular.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 6:39 pm

I have a modular that you can lock the visor up in position.

I ride with it up all the time just prefer it that way, has the drop down smoked sunglasses like a fighter pilot.

Like Meldrew mentioned it makes the helmet that bit taller and you can feel a little buffeting.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 7:05 pm

BrianInVA wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Are you referring to this?

https://motorcyclebrave.com/best-color-for-a-motorcycle-helmet/

Hi Brian,

Not that article specifically, but through data I have looked at at a number of sites. Rough numbers indicate that black helmets make up about 40% of all helmet sales, and are the most popular color. What's interesting is that close to 60% of all motorcycle accidents (fatal or otherwise) involve drivers wearing black helmets.

Just by NOT wearing a black helmet, you lower your risk of an accident by about 20%.

Since there are lots of nice helmet options in white, why not.

JMHO, and YMMV.
Back to top Go down
ScootSuit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-03-25

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2022 9:07 pm

When I was (over)due for a new helmet last summer, I bought a Sedici Sistema II (https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/sedici-sistema-ii-helmet-solid?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI48Dr35Wh-AIV0ciUCR1wwwQvEAAYASAAEgKVrvD_BwE) on sale for about $200. I felt like it was a pretty good middle road between reviews and ratings and price. I've always used modular helmets because I am a full-time glasses wearer, so traditional full-face is a no-go for me, and I like the protection and quiet of the whole shell. I love being able to flip it up at stoplights or getting gas or whatever. I have found some modulars to be pretty darn heavy, though the Sedici is not. It does run small, though; I ordered a 2XL but wear a XL in every other helmet I've had.
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2022 10:33 am

Good morning everyone,

I have read with great attention the question and answers about the use of a modular or modular helmet.
I believe that choosing your helmet is just as much about customizing our SiWis.

It's very personal and difficult to compare.
I think only by trying on many different helmets and taking the time to make a good choice, you will find the right one.

For me, the Scorpion brand is best suited, I've had one before.
In terms of fitting, weight and especially the use overall, they are just perfect for me.

In the past I bought a temporary "budget" helmet, it did fit okay and for "the time being" it was the right helmet for the right amount.

Since the end of last year I have found the ideal modular helmet for me.
A Scorpion ADX-1 [called AT950 in the US] including a pinlock and a built-in sun visor.
I did order an extra 'chrome' visor for the "looks".

My V4 rider bluetooth also fits perfectly.
I think it's a very nice helmet with the right fit for me, both on the shell and the interior.

For every modular helmet it is actually true that they are always more sensitive to more wind noise.
But behind my Givi Airflow screen I can easily drive in the city with the whole front open, on the highway also without problems with the visor open and sometimes even the whole front.
The sun visor on top of the helmet is perfect for me and in combination with the large visor, the cool air in the helmet, gives riding with the warm sun above you a very pleasant view.

And besides that, I think my helmet just looks really cool.
Modular helmets? Inshot13
Modular helmets? Scorpi10
Back to top Go down
SWingSteve
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2022-06-14

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 1:34 am

+1 for the modular helmet, I have an HJC too and as someone who rides with allergies I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't flip it up when given the opportunity and take care of that nose itch that would've otherwise driven me insane! Plus it is easier to get on/off that a FF, IMHO.

Come time to get a new one, I too like what Scorpion has to offer.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 7:55 am

It's interesting reading about Scorpion helmets because I wore their EXO-900 modular helmet for a few years back when Scorpion helmets were new to the UK helmet market.

It had the usual features you expect when you buy a mid priced helmets so it ticked all the boxes. I could even convert it to a peaked open face of sorts using the colour matched peak supplied with the helmet. 

However in use it had a few minus points, I removed the liner and found the inner shell didn’t have recesses to take the comm speakers of the Interphone system I was using at the time. So it was trial and error to get the speakers placed correctly without causing pressure points on my ears.

Then when I purchased a Scorpion amber coloured sun visor to replace the standard tinted one, it took me numerous attempts to remove it and fit the amber one. 

I'd class these as minor irritations though, the most annoying thing about the EXO -900 was wearing it on long rides. After the initial bedding period I expected the fit to improve and it didn’t. It was OK on shorter rides, but wearing it for more than a couple of hours at a time the helmet gradually got tighter and more uncomfortable around my head.  Any longer and the discomfort started to get on my nerves. There were a few times I felt like stopping, ripping the helmet off and throwing it as far away as I could. 

A bit of later research revealed that all helmet manufacturers design and build their helmets to fit one specific head shape. Long, narrow, round, oval, intermediate oval etc. 

So while it's easy enough to measure your head circumference for basic helmet sizing, knowing your head shape and which helmet manufacturers make helmets for your head shape matters a lot more.

Scorpion helmets are suitable for riders with a narrow head shape, which was the cause of my discomfort  because I have now know I have an intermediate oval head shape.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Modular helmets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular helmets?   Modular helmets? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modular helmets?
Page 1 of 1