Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Half Helmets

Go down 
+6
J.R.
model28a
JeffR
MikeO
buddy19520
bigbird
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 6:16 pm

When I bought my Silver Wing the dealer threw in a helmet, mostly because he didn't know it was stowed beneath the seat. It was a half helmet.

My favorite up to now has been open face helmets. I used to have a full face helmet but back when I wore glasses I really resented the procedure of: Taking off glasses, putting on helmet, raising shield, putting on glasses, etc.

I got an open face and boom, no more glasses issue plus you could switch the shield from smoke to clear at night time.

Now I don't wear glasses, thanks to laser eye surgery. But I still like the open feeling of the open face helmet.

So I tried out the half helmet today and I didn't go interstate speeds but I really liked it. With wrap-around shades I didn't really notice much wind in my eyes and the wind noise is much lower without all that plastic around your ears.

I used to think that full helmets were quieter and noise was worse on open helmets, but now I know the opposite is true.

I know a lot of this is dependent on your windscreen and may be different at higher speeds.

I know people most interested in safety always wear full face or modular helmets, and that's cool.

What is the best combination you have found? Larger windscreen and fuller helmet? What's the best you've found with the stock windscreen?

I'm still thinking about a bigger windscreen, especially the adjustable one that just got reviewed, because of the buffeting at higher speeds.

But for just tooling around town, I really liked the half helmet today.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 10:02 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:24 am

I bought my Swing used, and it already had a GIVI screen. I noticed a lot of back pressure on the interstate. Very little wind in my face though (and I wear a half helmet, too).

Tried a modular helmet, and could not believe the amount of noise. Plus, I couldn't stand the enclosed feeling. Wind in the face is part of two wheeled travel, and it did not seem worth riding with the modular helmet. (I may regret that statement if I wreck, but I ride for fun and the modular meant it was not fun.)

Tried the stock shield for about two miles. It directed the wind right to my eyes. Went back to the GIVI.

Sawed about 1.6 inches off the GIVI. It cut down a lot of the back pressure and allowed me to look over the shield. I liked this best so far.

Cut another half inch off the GIVI and added a Laminar Lip. Even better!. Quieter and better airflow, still with no back pressure.

It got hot and I thought it would be nice to get a little more air around my arms. Tried the stock shield with the Laminar Lip. It gives me some breeze on my arms (which I won't want in winter). With the Lip on as high as I can make it, it is just tall enough to keep the wind from hitting my eyes. If I sit up extremely straight, wind will start to get in my face, but it is an unnatural posture. It would only matter if I want to put a cushion under the AirHawk seat pad. As a BIG added/unexpected bonus, some of the handling quirks that I thought were part of the Swing experience are gone. I can now pass SUVs and big trucks with no turbulence. None of that being grabbed and pulled feeling that comes with the GIVI.

In summary, I will be using the stock shield with Laminar Lip as much as possible. It is the best combo for me - quiet and no turbulence. Once it gets cold, I will use the GIVI with Laminar Lip out of necessity. If it never got cold, I wouldn't use the GIVI. If I did not want to use a Laminar Lip (perhaps because of looks), I would use a cut down GIVI.

BTW, I am 6' tall and have a 32" inseam. I sit on an AirHawk pad all the time (which might add 1/2"-1" in height).
Back to top Go down

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Thank you buddy, that's exactly the kind of info I've been looking for.

I may try the Laminar Lip on the stock screen. They seem kind of expensive for what they are, but if they work as well as some people say, it sounds like it's worth it.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 2:29 pm

They are good - it's a technical bit of kit, not just a curved piece of perspex!
The Silverwing benefits from the 'Ears', too, as I think Darek will confirm - he's got them and told me. Half Helmets Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 4:10 pm

I have a 1/2 helmet with the fighter pilot visor and this is my favorite helmet ever. I do use ear plugs though so that is why it is quiet. I had the Givi shield cut down about 1 1/2" and it did really good but I would be somewhat of a "sailing" effect when going over bridges with a wind and then passing semi's sometimes. I have the Givi Airflow now and get none of that yet, but I only have about 70 miles on it now. But the 1/2 helmets with the visor is really something. IMHO. Before moving to California I came from a no helmet-law state and didn't wear a helmet. So for me the 1/2 helmet provides protection and also gives me that "free-rider" feel to an extent.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:01 pm

I have a snap on shield for a half helmet that flips down with a ratchet. What is the fighter pilot visor? Could you link one so I know what you mean?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:55 pm

I have a 1/2 helmet made by Scorpion.Mine is plain silver. The visor retracts up in the top of the helmet,this,with the stock shield works for me.

http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SCP07E001-3T.jpg
Attachments
Half Helmets AttachmentSCP07E001-3T.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(14 Kb) Downloaded 12 times
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Roger,

I have the same helmet in Matte Black. I really like it and it is my favorite helmet to date. But I have never had those expensive fancy ones though either.
Back to top Go down
J.R.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
J.R.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:37 am

With all the large insects up here in MN. and using a stock windshield I use an open face W/shield. June bugs here can hit you like a bullet.
Back to top Go down

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 am

I took one off the cheek the other day that I wondered if it left a bruise.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 11:06 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 11:21 am

Hey bigbird,

A real man would have the stock shield and ride with his mouth open during the "bug-gy" season. Half Helmets 676839

When I lived in Illinois, and I didn't wear a helmet, I would ride out in the country and would get blasted by those June bugs. It hurt like heck sometimes.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 11:42 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Bees suck!   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 1:00 pm

A couple of weeks ago I had the misfortune to cross paths with a bee while I was cruising along at about 60 mph. The really unfortunate thing was that this particular bee skipped off the top of my tall Givi windshield and lodged right between my cheek and the inside of my full face helmet. About one second after he landed, he proceeded to sting my cheek. I was able to quickly remove said bee with a swipe of my left index finger, but only after he had injected enough venom to get my attention.

In hindsight, if I had been wearing my half face helmet instead of my full face, this bee would have most likely bounced off my cheek and ended up in the road behind me rather than in my helmet with me.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Not good!

For similar reasons I always ride 'visor down'.
My newish Nolan N43 Air has an internal dark visor and I've used just that occasionally but in future I think I'll not rely on it alone to keep out the livestock.

I have a feeling that in the UK now one is required to have one's eyes 'covered' so it would be necessary to have the visor down at all times unless one is wearing goggles. Could be wrong about that, though.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Had a bee catch me not long ago with the half helmet on, it caught under the chin strap and left me a little something to think about. I normally wear a modular helmet but have the half helmet which I acquired when buying a Elite for my 12 year old granddaughter it's too big for her so I use it on occasion.
Craig
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 2:57 pm

MikeO:
I like the wind on my face and I guess, that an occasional bee sting is a small price to pay for that pleasure. With regards to helmets and eye protection, here in Colorado, all riders must wear protective eye gear. The helmets are optional.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 3:31 pm

True, and I failed to say I'm glad you survived relatively unscathed.

That's interesting about the Colorado 'rule'. Thanks for that.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 4:04 pm

The Scootist wrote:
The really unfortunate thing was that this particular bee skipped off the top of my tall Givi windshield and lodged right between my cheek and the inside of my full face helmet.

I do not understand how a bee can get into the full face helmet, unless the bee goes underneath the helmet ... but with a tall windshield it should not happen.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 4:37 pm

JeffR wrote:
Hey bigbird,

A real man would have the stock shield and ride with his mouth open during the "bug-gy" season. Half Helmets 676839

When I lived in Illinois, and I didn't wear a helmet, I would ride out in the country and would get blasted by those June bugs. It hurt like heck sometimes.

When I lived in Baton Rouge I would wear a rainsuit during love bug season.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Bill:
#1 - the face shield was open.

#2 - I am very tall and my face is above the top of a tall Givi.
Back to top Go down

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Love the shorty helmet, and I just ordered a Laminar Lip.
Back to top Go down

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Laminar Lip applied, I can ride in 24 hours! Hopefully it will not be raining so I can try it out.
Back to top Go down

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am

I really like the ride with the Lip attached. The airflow seems perfect, wind noise is much lower and my headphones work much better. It seems very solidly attached and was very simple to apply.

A+ from me so far.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Glad you like it.

It works for me as well. Finding the right combination for each rider can be time consuming and expensive; its good that you found a combo that works for you on the first try.

However, you will find that your hands and arms won't have the protection you may want in the cold weather. That is where a GIVI is beneficial.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Half Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Helmets   Half Helmets I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Half Helmets
Page 1 of 1