Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive belt prices
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hypothetical Starting Issue

Go down 
+2
Terry Smith
cello33
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

Hypothetical Starting Issue  Empty
PostSubject: Hypothetical Starting Issue    Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 6:24 pm

So lets say you go out to your wing put the key in turn on the igni press the button and nada!

Yes Nada , no turn over from the motor , could it be the button the wiring / fuse or the starter motor itself, is there anyway to get her started so you can continue your trip......

I think I now the answer but maybe someone found a ingenius way of getting the motor turning. I mean my swinger is 20 years young and has served me brilliantly but I,m paranoid that the starter motor , gear or summit else could pack up and leave me high n dry.

Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Starting Issue    Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 6:53 pm

Well there's no way to bump start as the bike has a centrifugal clutch.

My first step would be to get a jump start off a handy car battery.

Jumping the starter solenoid would not be terribly difficult with a set of jump cables, and that also bypasses the starter button.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2022-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Starting Issue    Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 11:34 pm

cello33 wrote:
So lets say you go out to your wing put the key in turn on the igni press the button and nada!

Yes Nada , no turn over from the motor , could it be the button the wiring / fuse or the starter motor itself, is there anyway to get her started so you can continue your trip......

I think I now the answer but maybe someone found a ingenius way of getting the motor turning. I mean my swinger is 20 years young and has served me brilliantly but I,m paranoid that the starter motor , gear or summit else could pack up and leave me high n dry.

If you press the ignition button and your headlights dim and you hear a click, it probably means that the carbon holder brush in your starter motor needs to be replaced.

My workaround prior to replacing the carbon holder brush was to get a T-type socket wrench and hammered where the start motor/top part of the engine would be at. Don't understand the science behind hammering the engine, but it works like a charm to get it started up.

This would have to involve you removing the left side of your Swing's pillion foot peg though.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Starting Issue    Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 3:22 am

It could anything but if the battery was good (lights on, fuel pump ok) and it was just the motor not turning over my first call would be the left lever interlock switch, the sidestand switch and the right switch cluster. All are exposed to the weather and likely to gum up.
If you're worried about the battery carry a small boost starter under the seat, and learn how to use it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Starting Issue    Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2022 9:17 pm

As Steve mentions above a likely suspect would be the start interlock switch on the left handlebar. It controls both the starter and the rear brake light switch. Mine went out recently (the brake portion) so I ordered a new switch and changed it out; very easy. I then as you, was worried about being stranded so kept the old switch as the start circuit was fine... With that and a Phillips screwdriver should be good.

I also change my battery every 2-3 years max as they are fairly cheap and I hate to risk a dead one.
Back to top Go down
genius149
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2022-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Starting Issue    Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2022 1:02 pm

Sorry for the obvious question but you are making sure that there is a second click when you squeeze the brake lever?
It confused the hell out of me when I got mine a few weeks ago!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Starting Issue    Hypothetical Starting Issue  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hypothetical Starting Issue
Page 1 of 1