Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

my naked silverwing project

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jerry-d
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2022-04-19

my naked silverwing project Empty
PostSubject: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 8:06 pm

hello folks, just dropping in with a status update. last year I acquired the wrecked silverwing from this thread: https://www.silverwing600.com/t10953-to-rescue-or-junk

my hobby is building custom naked scooters. I have eight scooters and I like them all. they all have there own personality. they are all a work in progress. the general game plan is buy when the price is "I cant resist that" get it running, strip it down, then rebuild keeping bike as light as possible.

the silverwing has been a complete joy to play with. it currently drives absolutely fantastic. weight is 440lbs. with about 10-20 yet to be removed. I believe stock they weigh 540. not sure as a good bit of parts were missing as received. current mechanical mods are k&n filter, jcosta pro variator, malossi contra spring, and a 140/60 rear tire. near future mods include fork rebuild with emulators, custom airbox, custom zx12 titanium muffler, all rounded off with dynojet tuned fuel curve. many cosmetic mods planned, too many to list. unfortunately this type of work takes a tonne of time. you dont even want to know. progress is slow because its just me and and I have too many projects and not enough time. and I like riding just as much as modding. it is what it is. next update it will look much cooler. at least to me. and thats all that counts.

Last edited by jerry-d on Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-20

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 12:35 am

I would like to see some of your work. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 9:27 am

I found the fork tree that was supposed to go with it recently. Still wrapped in plastic. Steering stem. Part # 53219-MCT-000. I thought I gave it to Arnie but I found it in the rafters in the garage doing spring cleaning. Need it? Not sure how much shipping would be but that part is around $220 new.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 11:28 am

Here is a link to Jerry-D’s excellent ‘naked Silverwing build’ topic (with many photos) on ADVrider:
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/my-2002-honda-silverwing-naked-build.1486426/

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 2:04 pm

jerry-d wrote:
... snipped ... and a 140/60 rear tire ...

I'm curious jerry-d.  The stock rear tire size is 150/70-13.  You went to a narrower and shorter tire.  I assume you did this to put more torque down quicker?  Am I right?
Back to top Go down
jerry-d
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 8:56 am

sonuvabug wrote:
jerry-d wrote:
... snipped ... and a 140/60 rear tire ...

I'm curious jerry-d.  The stock rear tire size is 150/70-13.  You went to a narrower and shorter tire.  I assume you did this to put more torque down quicker?  Am I right?

I run smaller tires on a lot of my scooters. there are a host of reasons why. biggest is to improve acceleration. the smaller diameter raises the gear ratio. (about 8%in this case) it also reduces rotational mass, which improves acceleration and breaking. suspension reacts faster so handling bumps improved as well. this particular tire is loads of fun in the acceleration department. its a wider tire than you normally get per given size. so its more like a 150/60. its also cheap. half cost of good 150/70. I want to try both 130/70 and 140/70 on the bike. I bought a 130/70 for it initially but it ended up on my naked majesty were it replaced a worn out 140/60. I liked the size a little better on that project. the front tire also went from 120/80 to 120/70. got a michelin pilot on the front that was on sale for 39 shipped. wish I bought two more. that might be best tire I have of all the tires I have used.

dude, more pics coming. there is a seven day wait period for hosted pictures to external link.

sc00ter, I am not sure if I need that stem. the bars are a little bent. but I need to access closer. give me a few days on that. I may want it. I definetly would have paid for shipping the extra wheel, but its the front wheel that has a side to side wobble. the rear on bike is straight. so I didnt follow through with a request for that.

Back to top Go down
jerry-d
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 5:28 pm

my naked silverwing project IMG-20220512-125647
my naked silverwing project IMG-20220512-130009

current look as of today. starting to take shapel.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 8:45 pm

Love the tankbag. That’s one humongous muffler Mr. Jerry.
And, hey, what about a bird screen over the variator intake? 🤭
Back to top Go down
jerry-d
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 8:28 am

I do have the transmission covers and plan to use them. the cvt cover has been off no less than 20 times setting up transmission. didnt want to remove those covers that many times. the muffler is indeed big. but wow does it work nicely. stock muff is 18lbs. this 9lbs. but more important to me it can be louder or quieter than stock depending on manifold adapter shape. I like the muffler quieter than stock. so it is. I use same muffler on my majesty and mp3.
my naked silverwing project IMG_20220311_180436_01
my naked silverwing project 20200414-180840-HDR
my naked silverwing project 20191225-113121
my naked silverwing project IMG-20220421-191802
my naked silverwing project IMG-20220421-191829
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 11:11 pm

I'll hold onto the tree and the rear wheel for you for awhile. I also have some small parts as well as I seemed to order doubles (I'm stupid sometimes) of rebuild parts for my wifes Swing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my naked silverwing project   my naked silverwing project I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my naked silverwing project
Page 1 of 1