Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2022-04-02

bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . Empty
PostSubject: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2022 6:21 pm

i was cruising down the freeway and as i gave it some throttle it suddenly had a loss of power and engine shutoff ? 2010 silverwing,only 17k miles.
battery tester says battery is good but she sounds like its hard to turn over and not enough power to start her again... im just starting to diagnose the problem. i have only done basic maintenance so far.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2022 7:38 pm

“Battery ‘tester’ says battery is good”? How was the battery tested? Load tested, or voltage tested?

That it’s “hard to turn over” kinda indicates that there isn’t enough current in the battery to do the job. And if that’s the case then even if the battery is borderline enough to crank the starter then it may not have enough current to also power the ECM at the same time.

First check for bad battery cable connections. Then check for a bad ground connection between the battery negative terminal and the frame. There’s a ground connection (multi connection) on the frame behind the left side panel —the panel with the seat key lock.

Next would be, once you do get the scoot started, is to do a voltage check at the battery terminals while the bike is running. You should see something in the neighborhood of 13.5 Volts at a fast idle. That will indicate that the stator is putting out enough voltage to resupply the battery. If the fast idle voltage is 12 V or less and not increasing when the rpms are up around 3500 x 4000 then the stator is more than likely bad.

Let us know how you make out with the tests.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2022 8:40 pm

would any of this cause the bike to shutdown during a drive? but i will go thru the checks right now thank you....
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2022 9:42 pm

dgratto wrote:
would any of this cause the bike to shutdown during a drive? but i will go thru the checks right now thank you....

Dying battery losing voltage = dead running down the road or not.
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2022 5:24 pm

i took the battery to a mechanic he attached the tester and did all the checks on it said battery was 100 percent ok
12.87 on startup
im looking for that ground next and maybe anything else fuse related again.
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 8:27 am

Please let us know the root cause, handy info for others in the same situation.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 10:47 am

IMO/IME there could possibly be something else going on here, as your stated,  

" cruising down the freeway and as i gave it some throttle it suddenly had a loss of power and engine shutoff ? 2010 silverwing,only 17k miles."

Not knowing any maintenance/service history, I would recommend, at a minimun gaining access to front variator bolt(17mm) and turning engine "Counter- Clockwise" to make sure engine is not jammed up, very easy to access, remove LH passenger footrest Assy(2/8mm hex) and fwd. cvt plastic cover(4/8mm bolts), go thru air inlet cavity on cover. Also look for any signs of broken belt, etc. jamming front pulley.bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . Sw17_210

IAC keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 5:30 pm

thank you
i am only able to work on it 2 days a week and as for maintenance, i was following the book and had everything checked every  4 k  miles -but i did the work,changed oil early each time, all new filters oil and air, replaced the gear juice, new tires, new lights. all basics from the scheduals. it has never had any issues other then headlight breaking for the time i had it this will be the first that i know of and thanks
i will double check that area as well
i have a new belt and sparkplugs so imma change those because its time. i bought it 2 yrs ago at 3k miles it literally only drove 3k miles in 10 years of use for the old guy i got it from.. in 2 yrs i went 14k miles almost... without any issues.. even if this costs me a pretty penny, i will have her running again.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 7:22 am

Keep us posted, I have a good source for parts and plenty how to info/pics. IMO CVT belts are due replacement at 5yrs, similar to tires, rubber ages, it's actually worse when they sit unused for years.
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2022 7:42 pm

does anyone know were i can buy the tools that opens the rear spring pully on the belt? i have to change it and my other bikes i can actually sqeeze them open with help, but not this beast lmao .....the aerator / variator side looks good ,, i may adjust the weights if anyone has tips there as well.. i have seen them put the belts on with no tools i just wanna make sure iit didnt sustain any damage when it snapped

Last edited by dgratto on Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2022 8:37 pm

and i did find that my engine was bound up from the belt completely deteriorating and fully wrapping the variator i cleaned it out and started her right up, sucks it took me two weeks to get to an easy fix. but there it is a broken belt.....main cause.bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . 20220410
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Remove the Driven Pulley off the shaft. Lock up the parking brake and/or grab the rear brake to lock up the rear wheel. IIRC it’s a 22mm nut in the center of the DP and only about 40 lbs ft or torque. So remove the DP and drive a wooden wedge to spread apart the pulley halves. Then use some needle nose pliers and whatever else is handy to extract the belt and kevlar cords piece by piece from the DP.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2022 10:27 am

There may be some useful info here https://www.silverwing600.com/t7766-driven-pulley-assembly-rebuild

IAC, search is your friend Cool
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 5:29 pm

always a work in progress, Should i be checking other things for possible damage since the belt locked my engine up the way it did and stalled it out? i drove it already a few times like normal everything seems fine but more experienced owners may know things i might have to double check? and is the belt supposed to be that damn easy to change? i own 150's as well & those have some steps and u have to work a bit to fit the belts. (apples and oranges i know) thats why i didnt think the belt had snapped it didnt make any tell tail sounds. it feels awesome to ride again 2 weeks seemed like eternity....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .   bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart . I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bike shutdown while driving and now wont restart .
Page 1 of 1