Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com !!!

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Bonjour hullo from the Cote d'Azur
by Mech 1 twa Today at 9:18 pm

» Job #1 done, #2 not to sure of.
by bikehiker Today at 9:03 pm

» Trike Tire Change ?
by ItBeMe Today at 8:55 pm

» Dusty RearWheel
by oldwingguy Today at 5:15 pm

» Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???
by Osprey Today at 4:15 pm

» Howdy y'all ...
by bikehiker Today at 3:11 pm

» 2007 silverwing breaking for parts
by siataukreg Today at 2:40 pm

» Hello from Detroit—15 year SW rider!
by sonuvabug Today at 9:49 am

» Slight oil leak
by Easyrider Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Braking
by Osprey Yesterday at 8:41 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:06 am

09252014 rev 0
I have about 60,000 miles on my 2008 Swing ABS and so far have done all of my own maintenance.  Recently I experienced some slippage in the Drive-Driven Pulley Ensemble that prompted a maintenance inspection that discovered a SEAL COLLAR failure.  This write up covers my repairs so that others can be alerted to this ‘rare’ event in case they should experience a similar problem.  Should the Movable Driven Face (pulley) bind, as mine did, it will cause belt slippage as there will be little (or no) compression by the spring located on the driven pulley onto the belt – hence the belt will slip under load.

Driven Pulley Rebuild (1.5MB file)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hlZFXiymXkNGtGWUpFVEZGcWM/view?usp=sharing

NOTE: I will update document in a few days to (attempt to) address any questions or suggestions that forum members may have.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:40 pm

WOW!! Thanks so much for your excellent Driven Pulley rebuild tutorial, photos and parts list. I'll be copying all of that and filing it in my Service Manual. Seems to me that there is a YouTube video via the Silverwing club of Italy, SWCI, wherein the legendary 'Steven B' goes through a similar procedure. As usual he makes it look easy peasy. Now with your tutorial I'll know what he's talking about.

Thanks again for the great info

Tim
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:40 am

Here's the link for that SWCI video for disassembly/reassembly of the Driven Pulley assembly:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=82MUIwzfCPo
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:32 am

Just to thoroughly confuse the matter here are two Ukraine videos showing removal and reinstallation of the clutch using the same basic tool:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3kobgwV91jk

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7YnYzOgB8kE

Dunno if this is a Honda sourced tool or a machinist's one-off.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:35 am

Re-reading your 'Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild' tutorial again I do have one question: How would you remove that needle bearing? I assume that the ball bearing can be chased out with a long drift punch once the retainer snap ring is removed.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:54 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Re-reading your 'Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild' tutorial again I do have one question: How would you remove that needle bearing? I assume that the ball bearing can be chased out with a long drift punch once the retainer snap ring is removed.

Tim
Not sure exactly - but I have seen on Goldwing forums where folks have welded a tab on a rod and used a grinder to make a tool that could could be used as a long punch and to get a purchase on the bearing. I am open to ideas? Has anyone removed their needle bearing?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2098
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Tim I walked in on someone trying to get that snap ring out and he was at the cussing and pulling out hair part of the job. I found a long pair of needle nosed pliers and ground the tips to a little hook small enough to fit in the holes in the snap ring and it worked great. I've never seen a pair of snap ring pliers long enough to reach that deep.
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Hello all,

I want to completely dismantle my driven pulley assembly and I too wonder how to remove the two bearings, i.e. the needle bearing and the ball bearing. I guess the ball bearing could be drifted out but when I tried it briefly, it didn't feel like it was going to move. I can't see that snap ring that is mentioned above. Has anyone removed these bearings without special tools?

BTW, is this forum back online?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Yes, the forum is back and open to new members.

Regarding Driven Pulley rebuilding; you'll need to use a heat gun on the DP base and then a 22-23mm expanding collet puller to remove the needle bearing. Though you could probably use a long drift inserted thru the roller bearing to drive the needle bearing out. 

Then you'll need to grind down the tips on a long reach dual pivot needle nose pliers so that they will fit the snap ring. Once the snap ring is removed the ball bearing can be removed.

In all probability most repair shops just replace that DP half (23205-MCT-307) because it is cost effective as that DP half set comes with new bearings, snap ring and whatever special grease is called for.

Here's a link to that long reach dual pivot needle nose pliers: 
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sealey-Ak8591-5054511120066-Needle-Nose-Pliers-Double-Joint-Long-Reach-335Mm

And a link to removing the needle bearing:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M8KclLwsYo4

Tim
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks Tim,

great news about the forum. Thanks for all that info, this is my kind of DIY bike fixing. I've ordered the pliers and I guess I'll try to drift the bearings out, I have a brass drift which will reach both ends.(I shudder to think of the cost of replacing the DP half), anyhow, I fancy a challenge ! I have a second hand assembly which I would like to refurbish and then put onto my SW. I also intend to overhaul the final drive gears etc. I only wish I had all the kit and gismos which that guy at SWCI has pale

This forum has become my lifeline and I am so chuffed that you and the guys are taking the time to uphold it. I am fascinated by the whole Silverwing design and powertrain assembly and I want to get to know this machine inside out......here's hoping !
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:36 pm

Here's a link to the DP break down. That DR half doesn't appear to be all that expensive from this source IMHO. But the shop charges would put the costs over the top.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/scooter/2009/fsc600d-ac-silver-wing/driven-face

Stefano Bonacasa of SWCI has several good Silverwing servicing videos. 

Good luck with your project. Please keep us advised how you get on with it. We all benefit from shared information.
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:13 am

Wow, fantastic stuff. I see what you mean about buying the whole assembly but I'll try the hard way first, drifting the bearings out will be my main obstacle. I was also hoping to find a 'cheat' to get the clutch bell off and on too without using special tools. I guess that's next.

Of course I'll keep the site posted on my progress.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:47 am

Loosebearing wrote:
< Snip > I was also hoping to find a 'cheat' to get the clutch bell off and on too without using special tools. I guess that's next. < Snip >

That clutch bell thread is M40 x 1.0mm. Good luck finding something to fit. 

We have had folks here who've reported using long 4-armed pullers to remove the clutch bell.
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Driven Pulley Assembly Rebuild   Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 am

Oh dear !

I've dismantled the pulley assembly, except removing the bearings, and discovered that the outer-half pulley is in a bad way. The guide apertures which allow the half-pulley to move outwards along the hub are 'bedded' and 'burred' but the seal collar is fine. Not sure how this could happen but there it is. Also, the belt faces of both pulley halves are pitted. I'll continue to remove the bearings just for practice in case I need to do it on my SW. I'll post my findings on this now that I can actually see that circlip which is hiding behind the ball bearing !

Meanwhile it's down to removing the clutch bell, the one on my SW is horribly scored. The pulley assembly episode has been a great lesson but it's over to a different subject for the clutch bell. Thanks for all your input, the knowledge is not wasted.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: "Pictorials" Maintenance-