Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power

Go down 
+3
Mech 1 twa
john grinsel
cello33
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power Empty
PostSubject: Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power   Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 4:15 pm

Wow , just checked my rear tire today and despite having the dual compound technology on this tire , it looks to be about work out after less the 4000 miles!

I would have expected around 6-8000 on a rear tire from a scooter with 50 HP and ridden through winter at legal speeds with gentle acceleration /braking.

Checking other reports from inmates they too are saying the Mich is not a very good tire if you want decent tire life.......looks like i'm fitting another Metezler very soon Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power   Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 5:35 pm

I used MIchelin Power pure SC on both SilverWings and on Burgman 400.

They wore round/rear lasted at least 8,000 miles on SilverWing---record 11,000 miles on rear, Burgman 400, returning from Alaska----did get me home----where on trip in US/Canada can your find scooter tire in right size, etc? Performance fine.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power   Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 8:41 pm

Michelin Pilots don't last long but they do grip very well. Ran a few front and rear, fronts like to wobble on deceleration rears don't last past 4.5 k at best.

My current set are Metzler FeelFree and they are good tires front is about done Rear will go a bit more not replaced at same time. FeelFree are discontinued or hard to find replaced by Roadtec now. I have a matched set in garage but I'll replace front and burn the old rear up before too long. Prices for everything are increasing and bought them last Fall and saved a few bucks. If the newer Roadtec's work as well FeelFree you won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power   Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 2:06 am

I've never got more than 3 or 4k from the rear.
As you say it's under 50bhp, but the bikes a fat bugger with huge rear weight bias and of course the old Pi D thing. Fortunately scooter tyres are cheap compared to motorcycle tyres.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power   Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 7:04 am

My Silver Wing has run OEM IRC tires since new! I am close to 25K on the scoot and get 8-10K on the rears and 10-13K on the front. They may not handle as good as Pirelli or Michelin but I have no complaints. In addition the price is very reasonable.

My Forza had Dunlop Scootsmart from the factory, last summer I replaced both (from weather checking) with Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires. Handles better than the Dunlop but tire life will have to be seen.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power   Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 11:23 am

My Michelin rear City Grip have around 4K miles on it and not near half wear. I can aspect at least 10,000 miles before changing. I don't understand these low mileage replacement. My front is a Shinko and they work nicely with the rear City Grip.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power   Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 12:06 pm

I usually run and prefer Michelin Power Pure SC (Pilot) tires.  I too like them for the reasons Mr. Grinsel cited.  On the back rim, I can count on between 10,000 and 12,500 mi. before needing a replacement.  The fronts travel 30-50% further before needing replacing.

Tire pressures, road surface composition and climate are three big factors I've observed that affect handling, wear and longevity.  For everyday or tour riding, I like to air up a few pounds over Honda's recommended pressures (for me ... 31-32 psi up front, the full 36 psi in rear).  Those values work for my weight, the equipment I've installed and the gear I wear and schlep around.

I've also noticed a big difference in how fast tires wear depending on the road surface.  Here in Canada, our asphalt is made with small, glacial rounded smooth stones mixed in with bitumen.  As a result, our tires tend to last longer but have less grip.  

When riding in the southern U.S. states (say along the Appalachian mountain roads), their asphalt is made from crushed granite mixed with bitumen.  The granite is much rougher/sharper at the edges which provides  fantastic tire grip but literally shreds/wears out your tires much sooner.  Especially if you are riding more aggressively on the technical roads.

We've experienced the difference in tire wear rate over the times we've attended the maxi-scooter rallies and watched our tires (literally) scrub down to the cords over the course of a day of spirited riding.

Climate wise, we do not experience the stifling heat that some parts of the world do although our humid temps into 90*F+ range are not uncommon at the height of our summer.  Plus, our shoulder seasons (Spring and Fall) tend to be cooler than many other places and as we all know, heat and direct sunlight affects rubber and how quickly it deteriorates.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power   Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Tire Michelin Pilot Power
Page 1 of 1