Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Today at 12:17 pm

» noise under load
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:38 am

» Hello from Illinois!
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Under seat light and courtesy switch

Go down 
+9
Cosmic_Jumper
zrx212
GHM-PM
Meldrew
MikeO
Easyrider
Mech 1 twa
Dale N.
adeee
13 posters
AuthorMessage
adeee
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-11-24

Under seat light and courtesy switch Empty
PostSubject: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm

I know this has been covered with varying methods of resolution.
My Sw had the bulb removed, I want it to work (as Honda intended) but with a modification.
I have obtained and fitted the boot light from a Honda Civic which is switched and directly replaces the un-switched Silverwing trunk/under seat light. The light works intermittently. Any ideas?
Where is the courtesy seat light switch located?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2021 9:50 pm

Most have taken the bulb out due to the switch not always turning off the light when the seat is closed. It's not fun trying to start your SWing with a dead battery after the light has drained it. Lots of us have just put a small flashlight, or torch as some call it, under the seat and use that.
I bought my 08 SWing in 2014 and after I got it running with lots of TLC one of the first things I did was remove the bulb and put a small LED flashlight/torch in there. Just under the seat that is. Not attached to anything. Clear as mud, yes?!
The switch is part of one of the seat latch mechanisms. My guess would be the back one. But in my opinion you'd be lots better off to just remove the bulb and use a flashlight.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2021 11:05 pm

Switch is in the front latch. Pulled my bulb also nothing to worry about now.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 2:16 am

I am one of the lucky ones. I did replace my storage light fixture with a switched fixture. Never had a problem. The light switch is located on the rear seat latch. I'll try to attach a picture from my manual. Under seat light and courtesy switch Screen10
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 3:42 am

The advantages of a separate torch/flashlight are that it throws light on the subject even when the space under the seat is full and blocking the built-in light and even small, LED torches are much brighter.
i have one like this: on my first Silverwing I was able to stick it on the metal support under the seat for the Utopia backrest as it's magnetic. I contemplate sticking a small metal plate on the plastic on my other two but never got around to it. It means also that one doesn't need to carry a separate torch for 'outside' use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-464207-Multifunction-Lantern-Batteries/dp/B004P3SS2K/ref=sr_1_23?crid=V38AZXAOTIU7&keywords=led+torch+small+round&qid=1638175093&sprefix=led+torch+round%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-23
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 4:32 am

There used to be lots of posts (and not only on this forum) about the under seat light on the Silver Wing and other maxi scooters flattening the battery if the seat wasn't closed properly. The Silver Wings light isn't particularly bright or well placed either, and if you have a lot of under seat junk like I had, the light can be blocked or obscured has already been mentioned.

It's hardly an essential item either, how often does anyone dig around in there searching for something in the dark.  I sussed that out early in my Silver Wing ownership and simply blocked off the bulb terminals with some plastic film and replaced the bulb. That way I didn't inadvertently flatten the battery if the seat wasn't closed properly, and like lots of others had a handy LED torch in there.

The day I traded in my Silver Wing, I removed the light cover, unwrapped the film from the bulb, replaced it, and it was ready again to potentially flatten the battery of the next owner.

My Forza doesn’t have an under seat light, and three years on is none the worse for it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2566
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 am

adeee wrote:
I know this has been covered with varying methods of resolution.
My Sw had the bulb removed, I want it to work (as Honda intended) but with a modification.
I have obtained and fitted the boot light from a Honda Civic which is switched and directly replaces the un-switched Silverwing trunk/under seat light. The light works intermittently. Any ideas?

I replaced my light with a switched unit for an Acura. Fits perfectly and looks OEM. I very seldom use it and also I carry a small flashlight/torch as well.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 7:01 am

Well, I also was a little annoyed at times by the very dark underseat storage, especially at night !!, fumbling for the flashlight in the "Dark Void" and loosing use of one hand to hold flashlight, etc.

Not for me  Under seat light and courtesy switch 1f620 , the Honda oem light candlepower and location really su..., so I decide to use led's and a second bulb, all switched on by oem switch, but also added a 2nd power kill switch, both at locations that would not interfere with normal cavity use, worked perfectly !!, I usually use switch to turn light on/off, IAC led's would take several days to kill battery in worst case and I use scooter regulary. I got wiring notes somewhere if needed, LMK.

Under seat light and courtesy switch Sw131_10
Under seat light and courtesy switch Sw132_10
Under seat light and courtesy switch Sw133_10
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 8:35 am

zrx212 wrote:
(Snip) I decide to use led's and a second bulb, all switched on by oem switch, but also added a 2nd power kill switch … (Snip)… I got wiring notes somewhere if needed, LMK.

Nice mod!

Yes, wiring notes please.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 2:30 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
zrx212 wrote:
(Snip) I decide to use led's and a second bulb, all switched on by oem switch, but also added a 2nd power kill switch … (Snip)… I got wiring notes somewhere if needed, LMK.

Nice mod!

Yes, wiring notes please.

This is diagram/drawing of my setup, you'll need to decide best location for switch and light, my 2nd light is same led bulb that fits oem fixture, I soldered wires and sealed with clear shrink tubing and attached with 3M trim tape, anything similar would work, will need to removed LH side cover and rear bulb cover to access wiring, BTW KIM that led's only work with correct polarity, test as you go.

Under seat light and courtesy switch Sw13510
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 4:00 pm

This topic has bugged me for years. I've considered many cures, even to the point of installing a warning light on the dash board. A ridiculous amount of grief, but possible.

I have either read, or dreamed, about a warning that one shouldn't interfere with the factory wiring loom of the earlier SWs. Urban Myth?

Alas, having considered all, I'm going to try the Honda Civic switched replacement. It's always nice to have automatic lighting but like most things in life, it's a compromise.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 6:25 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
This topic has bugged me for years. I've considered many cures, even to the point of installing a warning light on the dash board. A ridiculous amount of grief, but possible.

I have either read, or dreamed, about a warning that one shouldn't interfere with the factory wiring loom of the earlier SWs. Urban Myth?

Alas, having considered all, I'm going to try the Honda Civic switched replacement. It's always nice to have automatic lighting but like most things in life, it's a compromise.

The issues with adding to oem wiring is that the newer modules are very sensitive to volage spikes and/or static electricity. one of the most common wiring protection devices are diodes, used in most ground sources, even on the SW600, take a close look at the diagram for the trunk light above, there's a diode in the oem light socket to block any current from the ground source into the harness, so when you add accessories, need to insure they have similar protection. Led type lights in general are not a issue, because they are diodes.

IAC, BOT, The main issue with either the oem light or the car/switched light replacement is poor location, easily blocked with helmet, etc., adding a second light came to mind, secondary issues were low lumens vs high power use, sourcing a led to fit in oem housing was a must have, took a while. found them at a custom led shop in local flea market. 

BTW, I toyed with the dash warning light also, but ....
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 6:46 pm

zrx212 wrote:

This is diagram/drawing of my setup… 

Under seat light and courtesy switch Sw13510

What kind of a light fixture did you use for that second bulb?

Am I correct in assuming that you did not “upgrade” the OEM luggage box light fixture for a switched Honda Civic or Accura fixture?

Is the diode you refer to the actual LED bulb you exchanged for the OEM festoon bulb?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 11:03 pm

Q.  " What kind of a light fixture did you use for that second bulb? "

A.   My 2nd light is same led bulb that fits oem fixture, I ground the tips of metal end caps to open a small hole and soldered wires, then sealed with clear shrink tubing and attached with 3M trim tape, run wires thru battey cavity, etc, nothing fancy/special.

Q.  "Am I correct in assuming that you did not “upgrade” the OEM luggage box light fixture for a switched Honda Civic or Accura fixture? 

A.   Still using oem fixture, found led bulb that fits oem fixture.

Q.  " Is the diode you refer to the actual LED bulb you exchanged for the OEM festoon bulb? "

A.   No, I was refering to diode in the oem light fixture/socket the one labeled 3.4W, sorry the wiring diagram I picked to copy(07+ ABS) is actually showing a light fixture with a switch and is showing 194/3.4W lamp instead of a festoon bulb ??, but regardless all oem light fixture or bulb type, it will have a "ground protection" diode.

Pic of Led's used

Under seat light and courtesy switch Sw13710
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2021 3:50 pm

Thank you gentlemen for expanding this ongoing problem. I've always believed that if something was meant to work, then, it should work.

It's given me food for thought. A future project maybe? thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Benzon1960
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Benzon1960

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2021-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2021 5:42 am

I decided to seek the best of both worlds. Mounted a small metalplate (hot glued it) underneath the seat. Then bought a cheep battery driven torch. Hot glued a strong magnet (plenty to be found on Amazon) to it. Torch now sits firmly under the seat and doesn't fall off the metal plate even when rides gets a bit bumpy. It's always there and easy to locate even in the dark.

Only potential trouble is of course having good batteries installed in the torch. I routinely replace them every six months using only industrial grade which seem to cope well with low temps also.

Under seat light and courtesy switch 683810
Back to top Go down
https://www.linkedin.com/in/janrosencronevonbenzon/
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2021 6:47 am

More or less what I've got - see my previous post in this thread.
It works for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2021 8:28 am

That torch aka flashlight looks like a Harbor Freight freebie, I just put mine in the storage cubbie.
Back to top Go down
Sid
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2020-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2021 12:32 pm

Y’all are the best, thank you for sharing this and having each other’s back’s!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Under seat light and courtesy switch   Under seat light and courtesy switch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Under seat light and courtesy switch
Page 1 of 1