Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals and Appreciation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals and Appreciation   Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 4:37 pm

Well bout time I changed the front tire after having the Metzeler feelfree tire on the front for about 20 months and 9200 trouble free miles . Gotta say I was impressed with the handling and the wear rate. Never had any slides or skitterish moments riding all weather's unlike the Avon Stryker previously which had countless slides going into corners in the winter months.

I fitted a Michelin rear about 1000 miles ago so trying a matched pair because they were going a bit cheaper then the Metz and that the Mich is dual compound so may get a bit more life out of it. Despite some loonish behaviour in summer the side walls have loads of life its just the middle of the tire that wears , so the Mich's have a tough act to follow.

Also changing the brake caliper piston seals as the front brakes are binding a little bit, done the rear a few months ago and managed to return 150 Miles between refills from the previous 136. Even a slightly binding brake caliper has a lot to answer for it seems!

The only way I noticed was pushing the bike out of the parking bay which one day took considerible effort! After the sealchange you could just use your body weight to get the bike moving front or backwards so inmates I suggest you too check your calipers for the seals failing and pinching the piston on the caliper piston wall.

Swing has done 38K with me doing 22K in about 3 years,loving the freedom , practicality and nimbleness of the swing , such a practical comfortable commuter bike which if only Honda could improve on a bit would be the answer to all our transport problems.

Easy riding Swingers!!!!

Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals and Appreciation   Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 8:50 pm

Thanks for the update! The wife and I really like our 2013 'Wing. Just wish we got the new Forza here in the colonies! Paul
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals and Appreciation   Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 9:42 am

I put a pair of Metzelers on my SW over the summer and discovered the front brake pistons were rusty when I went to do the front pads at the same time. The Metzelers transformed the SW from the Silver Pig to Lemmy's Silver Machine from his Hawkwind days. It's a joy to ride.

I found my front master cylinder is a bit yicky after replacing the pistons and seals at the front wheel. I didn't feel it so clearly before. I also had a good old job bleeding.
Back to top Go down
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2018-10-04

PostSubject: Similar situation for me.    Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2021 12:55 pm

I have similar situation to you too. It's my rear calipers though.
Plus I have a Metz Wintec waiting to go on the front. Hopefully no more hairy moments for me either.

As a side note, some dirty scrotes decide I didn't need my beloved Swing any more and took it during the night.
Police were brilliant though and via a Facebook post by a dog Walker it was retrieved the following morning.
Ignition wires were cut but I don't believe they got it running without the key.
The handle bar cover is missing now but I was thinking of removing it anyway.
On repairing the wiring and re-attaching the HISS unit it started first touch. It did however blow a ton of oil smoke out of the exhaust as it had been on it's side all night. A good run out remedied that.
Few scratches and I little crack or too but nothing worse. Glad to have her back and riding again.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals and Appreciation   Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2021 6:29 pm

Sorry to hear about that Gram, I'm lucky to have the Swing under cover and out of sight to all but the barstewards that have the audacity to see me appear and disappear from my abode when I go out.

A security light and cctv are good investments at this time of year not to mention a big dog, granite chain and as a last resort an ice pick!

Probably stupid delinquent brats at work if they dont know about HiSS but either way they need to be educated not to touch objects that belong to somebody else......

Back to top Go down
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2018-10-04

PostSubject: Here, here to that.    Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2021 6:58 pm

Education would indeed be appropriate.
I was a bit unlucky in that the disc lock was breakable and the SD card my camera records to was full - DOH!!!
Therefore, card formatted, disc lock replaced with 'Sold Secure Gold' D lock and similar standard chain and padlock on the back to an anchor in the wall.
Life lesson eh?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals and Appreciation   Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals  and Appreciation I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Service Time - Tire's, Brake Seals and Appreciation
Page 1 of 1