Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? Empty
PostSubject: A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?   A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am

Custom rollers or police have now peaked my interest since I've changed my v belt and realize how easy it was to get in there as before I was intimidated by the process.
I've been reading a bunch of things on this very form here about rollers and pulleys and it's a bit over my head. But some of the stuff I've gathered is depending on the weight of your rollers or pulleys you can change your acceleration or your top speed or smoothness of the transition of speed. When I hear the most talked about is Dr pulley which I think is a clutch AND roller replacement I think.
A starting question I have is if I install this system will it remove or reduce that to 2000 RPM delay where as soon as you hit 2000 RPM you actually start to move and it's quite a jolt forward and when you decelerate it suddenly abruptly clicks off into "neutral" or is that a design choice / feature of the bike? (Because as the way it is now stop and go bumper to bumper traffic is a nightmare trying to not over rev while being so close to other cars.

Another question I have is what kind of weight do what as in which ones give you top speed and which ones give you acceleration and also which ones are close to stock as possible.?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?   A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 11:35 am

28 gm Dr Pulley sliding weights (aka Sliders) are as close to stock 28 gm roller weights as you can get.

No, changing to sliders of any weight aren't going to change that clutch-in at ~2000 rpm. And when decelerating, when the rpm drops to that same 2000 rpm the clutch shoes disengage and you notice that sudden lack of engine braking.

Theoretically changing to heavier weights, say 32 gm, will give you better fuel economy and more top speed —because you’ll never reach rpm red line. However it’ll take you quite a few miles at WOT to get to 60 mph. And you’ll never have enough oomph to pass that slow tractor trailer up ahead.

Dr Pulley also make a highly regarded HiT Clutch which locks the clutch shoes to the clutch drum and prevents the clutch from slipping. The HiT kit comes with an assortment of springs with which the user can alter the initial clutch engagement rpm, say lower or higher than that 2000 rpm, as well as springs to also select the rpm at which the shoes will lock up to the drum.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?   A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 11:55 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
28 gm Dr Pulley sliding weights (aka Sliders) are as close to stock 28 gm roller weights as you can get.

No, changing to sliders of any weight aren't going to change that clutch-in at ~2000 rpm. And when decelerating, when the rpm drops to that same 2000 rpm the clutch shoes disengage and you notice that sudden lack of engine braking.

Theoretically changing to heavier weights, say 32 gm, will give you better fuel economy and more top speed —because you’ll never reach rpm red line. However it’ll take you quite a few miles at WOT to get to 60 mph. And you’ll never have enough oomph to pass that slow tractor trailer up ahead.

Dr Pulley also make a highly regarded HiT Clutch which locks the clutch shoes to the clutch drum and prevents the clutch from slipping. The HiT kit comes with an assortment of springs with which the user can alter the initial clutch engagement rpm, say lower or higher than that 2000 rpm, as well as springs to also select the rpm at which the shoes will lock up to the drum.

Hmmm very interesting, thanks for some information, and I'm assuming that lighter weights are the ones that give you more initial acceleration and less top speed?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?   A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 1:42 pm

XDM:copyright: wrote:

Hmmm very interesting, thanks for some information, and I'm assuming that lighter weights are the ones that give you more initial acceleration and less top speed?

That’s correct.

Do you really expect to be going over 100 mph? I suspect that, given this urban traffic, you’d be looking for better mid range acceleration.

And, yeah, along with this urban congestion your clutch is going to glaze and start squealing too.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?   A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

That’s correct.

Do you really expect to be going over 100 mph? I suspect that, given this urban traffic, you’d be looking for better mid range acceleration.

And, yeah, along with this urban congestion your clutch is going to glaze and start squealing too.

Does that stop and go traffic make the clutch squeal? Because mine does every so often. If I hold in my breaks and accelerate for like 5-10 seconds it goes a way for like 2 or 3 months
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?   A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 3:26 pm

Next time you're in there have a look at the clutch too, it's like a drum brake in reverse.
And while your at it give everything a good clean so everything moves smoothly.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?   A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 3:40 pm

Does that stop and go traffic make the clutch squeal? Because mine does every so often. If I hold in my breaks and accelerate for like 5-10 seconds it goes a way for like 2 or 3 months
 Yep. That’s clutch glazing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?   A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A little in-depth insight on rollers/pulleys?
Page 1 of 1