Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat Lowering Options

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Seat Lowering Options Empty
PostSubject: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 1:33 pm

I'm about 5 foot 8 inches and due to having shorter legs, it is difficult to flat foot on an s-wing. Before I buy the one I am looking at, I was curious of what options are out there. I do a lot of touring on my Helix and want to be able to comfortably flat foot when I stop. What have some of you done to address this. Can upholstery shops modify the existing seat? Does the Corbin seat sit a little lower? Are there other seats out there for this application?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 pm

ronjr009 wrote:
I'm about 5 foot 8 inches and due to having shorter legs, it is difficult to flat foot on an s-wing. Before I buy the one I am looking at, I was curious of what options are out there. I do a lot of touring on my Helix and want to be able to comfortably flat foot when I stop. What have some of you done to address this. Can upholstery shops modify the existing seat? Does the Corbin seat sit a little lower? Are there other seats out there for this application?

Some have open the seats themselves and used a carving knife to remove material in the front nose.

Upholstery shops could put a a better material (or mixed of materials) than foam which would not require as much height.

I thought I read awhile ago that that Corbin seat was a 1/2 lower, but you should confirm this with others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 5:07 pm

Wow that is exactly where I am at. I have had two Helix and just moved up to a Silverwing. I'm 5'2" and I was flat footed on my Helix and very comfortable. I pick my new 09 up in March. They sent the seat out to be modified for me. In fact I went over a few days ago and it is still too high for me so back to the shop it goes. I think the gal who does the work was worried she would take too much off. So we marked where more should come off. They said the sides are wide on the seat and they can usually remove quite a bit from there. I know to feel comfortable on this new bike I need my feet on the ground! Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 1:00 am

Ron & Coralee,

Have you tried boots with thicker soles? I'm not sure if you have thought of this but maybe you can get the thicker soled boots to help you out. I have read that some that riders who have had a more difficult time flat-footing it, have had success with this. And it is cheaper than a new seat !!! Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 7:48 am

Good suggestion. Actually about a two summers ago our group rode to some big shop and I found a great pair of good boots. They have big soles on them and it did make a huge difference. For years I rode in tennis shoes and the more I read the more I felt I needed a well made boot. They were expensive but well worth it I think. Now I just keep a pair of tennis shoes in the trunk so I can walk around when I get somewhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 8:46 am

I was one of the ones that carved out the foam to form a lower more concave seat instead of the stock higher convex seat. Below is a link to a few pictures of how i carved out the foam and then used a rotary sander to smooth out the foam and staple the cover back on. it was easy to do. look at the 4 thru 8 pictures

http://paulscooter.webs.com/apps/photos/album.jsp?albumID=1642301
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Good pictures. That's about what the gal took off I imagine but it 's just not enough. Hope this next one will be just right Wink Wow that is a great truck you have. That looks great!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 10:47 pm

I took off about an inch from the seat hight. My main idea wasn't to lower the seat, but to contour it to by butt so it would fit better.
Glad you like the pictures and my truck. Its a 1952 F1 ford restored to near original.
Paul
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 5:27 pm

I stopped by the dealership today after my scooter breakfast. It was so cold out only four showed up which is the least in three years that I have seen. I needed to take my title into the dealership so they can sell my Helix. They called the shop that was taking more off the seat and she had it ready. So one of the service guys went and picked it up. It is better but I didn't have my riding boots with me. But I could get the pad of my foot down so with the riding boots I may be good to go. Can't wait to get the bike home this spring. We are off to Floirda next week and will get back the beginning of March.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Coralee,

I bet you can't wait to get it. I'm sure you are really going to like it. I still get that grin whenever I ride mine and can't think why I would ever go back to m/c's. It sure will take you anywhere you want to go but also be careful. It is so much more powerful then the Helix. I didn't have a Helix but I did have a Reflex and Majesty and couldn't believe the difference in power between the Majesty and Silver Wing. Make sure you give us a good review when you get it and are able to ride it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat Lowering Options   Seat Lowering Options I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat Lowering Options
Page 1 of 1