Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Wider seat options?

Go down 
+2
Easyrider
nyarlotep
6 posters
AuthorMessage
nyarlotep
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Wider seat options? Empty
PostSubject: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 1:28 am

I'm fat, with a wide a**. The stock Silverwing seat is a little narrow for me. I also feel like I'm going to slide off the front all the time. I'd love to make the seat more like the one on my ATV. Has anyone had custom mods done to widen the seat, or add a 'saddle horn'?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 1:44 am

nyarlotep,
Use the search option listed above and you will get 96 posts with "wider seat". My first Swing came with a Corbin after market seat. It was very wide. It seemed too hard for me (I don't have much built-in cushions and need a softer seat. I like the stock seat on my new Swing. It fits my small butt just fine with a lot soft foam.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 3:55 am

Keep in mind that a wider seat changes the geometry of where your legs are placed and how you put them down when you are stopped.
If you are tall, then you have more choices.
If you are short wider seats will interfere with leg placement comfort.
If you buy a corbin seat, they will custom make it to your specs, but same warnings apply.
Before you go adding a saddle horn, make sure you have the *ahem* "testicular fortitude" to be comfortable with that at a full stop with both feet down, and also in hard braking.
If you have to slide forward to be in a position to put your feet down (i.e. you are short), a horny saddle can be a painful one.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 3:25 am

The Corbin seat seemed to be more slippery than my current OEM seat. I would a!most always slide forward when braking. To be able to flat-foot at a stop, I had to slide forward where the seat narrows.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 4:02 pm

I recall someone inserting a tennis-ball under the cover in order to create a 'horn.

I remember nothing further about it.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 1:01 am

Why would one take their feet off the floorboards until the bike stops? You can't slide forwards if your feet are on the floorboards. I always keep my feet on the upward angled part of the boards. More or less press forward on them with my feet on rough ground, kinda wedge myself against the seat. Prevents bouncing up on the seat. Good substitute for gripping the fuel tank with your knees on a motorcycle.
My preferred method of coming to a stop on a bike or scooter is to stick my left leg out to the side a bit just before the bike comes to a stop. That will initiate a tilt to that side so there's no uncertain wobble as one stops. I never touch the ground with my foot unless the bike has come to a complete stop. Looks silly to paddle like a duck getting underway and stopping. Very squidlike.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 4:55 am

I also come to a stop with my left foot extended for the very same reason, but when waiting at a stop light, especially a long light, I will flat foot my two feet. On the Corbin, I would have to slide to the front of the seat to be able to place both feet on the ground. The Corbin seat is a lot wider than the OEM seat. For me, I like the OEM seat just fine. I don't need a touring seat because my trips at most is 110 miles unless loop my starting point. I guess I could just turn around and return the same way I came from.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 6:15 am

The first time with my swing ,while parking at a very slow speed ,I touch the front brakes and slid off the scoot. I cut out 1"of foam with a electric bread knife leaving the front of the seat pocket to keep from falling off.It works very wheel for me.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 3:53 pm

tinman wrote:
The first time with my swing ,while parking at a very slow speed ,I touch the front brakes and slid off the scoot. I cut out 1"of foam with a electric bread knife leaving the front of the seat pocket to keep from falling off.It works very wheel for me.

Tinman,
Was that the original OEM seat you modified?

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 6:29 pm

tinman wrote:

Kinda begs the question, why were you using the front brake at low speed? Lot safer just to use the rear at low speed especially if you're maneuvering in tight areas. At least you just slipped forward and didn't drop the bike.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 11:11 pm

Yes I modified the stock seat , and as for locking the front brakes ,I think I touch  the front brakes it happen so fast less then 1 mph ,parking between 2 cars .The left lever controls the front and the rear brakes. All I do remember is dropping my swing in slow motion, no damage.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 12:04 am

The brakes are linked but the rear brake lever is biased heavily to the rear brake. The linkage isn't very strong unless you really put pressure on the lever. In normal slow turns and such the linkage isn't strong enough to dump the bike unless a person is in a sharp turn and really lays on the rear brake. That isn't the case with the front brake, it acts powerfully with a pretty light pressure on the front brake lever.

Take a look at the "Ride like a Pro" videos by Jerry Palladino. His slow speed maneuvering dragging he rear brake slightly to keep the bike upright really works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wider seat options?   Wider seat options? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wider seat options?
Page 1 of 1