Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Problem bleeding the Brakes.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Midd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2021-06-26

Problem bleeding the Brakes.  Empty
PostSubject: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 10:28 am

Hello, have put in new brake pistons, back and front, new seals ect.
The problem I have is the front brake, the back brake is working fine.
I just cannot seem to get it to operate correctly. I've done it in the right sequence, but alas no joy.
Can anyone shed light on what the problem could be, or has anyone experienced this and how did you get over it.
I'm new to the forum, have introduced myself, and am desparate to enjoy a ride out.
Just got the bike 2003 non Abs, glad I changed the brake pistons, did not expect this to occur.
Thanks.Midd.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 10:31 am

So is the brake feel soft, spongy, no real feel, no braking at all?
Back to top Go down
Midd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 10:39 am

Yes that's exactly what the problem is.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 11:51 am

So why did you rebuild the calipers in the first place? Has the action of the front brake improved or worsened since the rebuild?

Assuming that you’ve bled the brakes, especially the front, multiple times then my best suggestion is to top off the brake reservoir then zip tie the brake lever to the grip. Allow it to sit overnight this way. Sometimes doing that will encourage any air in the lines to migrate out of the lines and up into the reservoir. My 2¢.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 12:12 pm

For you from our forum back when.

A. Front = right hand reservoir = upper front caliper bleeder valve.

B. Rear = LEFT hand reservoir = FRONT LOWER bleed valve THEN rear caliper bleed valve.
Back to top Go down
Midd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 12:32 pm

Thank you for taking time to help me.
I will do it Tommorrow in the sequence that you have given me.
It would be great to complete the brake overhaul. The original pistons had lasted for 33000 miles but were pitted and needed replacement. All being well il move onto oil/filter change, Airfilter change, mybe spark plugs, and new front tyre.
Just getting to know the Wing.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 12:54 pm

I can certainly understand the frustration in bleeding brakes. A couple of weeks ago I changed the fluid and bled the brakes on my 2003 Swing. I use a RBL Products motorcycle brake bleeder, Part # 512 and have used it for bleeding brakes on several motorcycle brake systems with quick satisfactory results. It does require an air compressor and a helper to keep the brake reservoir full because it hauls the fluid out at a fairly rapid rate. I've had it for years and can't remember where I bought it from but has well been worth the purchase. I realize that most do not have an air brake bleeder but maybe a friend might have. Prior to that I used a MightyVac which works well, just takes longer. Anyway I wish you well my friend. Follow the sequence oldwingguy listed above.
Back to top Go down
Midd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 1:28 am

Hi, The reason I overhauled the brake calipers was due to recently buying the bike, and noticing the parking brake was tight in operation, hence I dug further and learnt that the pistons in the back brake were very stiff in operation. Then decided to replace them all.
The bike moves around much more freely now and on start up the rear wheel spins freely.
I've left the two brake levers open with tie wraps overnight as suggested and will investigate the front caliper to see if all is correct.
Eventually I will take all the plastics off and check and clean and do bits of remedial work. one fork is weeping so that's another job in the pipeline.
Back to top Go down
Midd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am

Problem. Sorted. I took the front caliper off and looked at the pistons one of the larger two front brake pistons was not coming out. Anyhow I took brake pads out and put a price of wood in and pumped the lever until both pistons came out, checked fluid level and pushed them back in. Did this couple of times put a bit of red rubber grease on them, put it all together and yes it's working.
I must have left one piston too dry when I put in new seals. Went out on the bike today and all is well. Mybe this is something too look out for when putting in new brake pistons.
I didn't half spend a lot of time fruitlessly bleeding them. I've put two tie wraps on levers for overnight as the ride out should dislodge any trapped bubbles....... Thanks. Folks for input.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 5:08 pm

Great, enjoy your ride......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem bleeding the Brakes.    Problem bleeding the Brakes.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problem bleeding the Brakes.
Page 1 of 1