Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

The misfire mystery continues ho hum

Go down 
+4
sonuvabug
oldwingguy
Mech 1 twa
john grinsel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2019-04-19

The misfire mystery continues ho hum Empty
PostSubject: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Well after getting a new bike(Honda Crosstourer) the silverwing has been a bit neglected, so my last post a few months ago I complained about a misfire/hesitastion at a steady motorway speed 70 ish and random backfire off throttle, I took on the suggestions put forward and have replaced these parts,
so obvious ones first
sparkplugs
airfilter
plug leads and coil
fuel regulator
vacuum pipes
After waiting a age for the fuel regulator to arrive I took the bike out straight on to the motorway for it's first run and it seemed to of  sorted itself but I went out last week week and after 30 miles of county lane riding I hit the motorway and the misfire or hesitation appeared again ,So I got a bit annoyed and wound the throttle fully open and gunned it and the bike was jerking and spluttering  though it managed 90mph.
drop below 70 the bike runs fine. starts first push of the button and is smooth as silk.

So back home and out with the muli meter and tested the rectifier and the stator and all checked out within spec so now I'm getting a bit stumped. could it be the tps sensopr or map sensor ?seems like the problem is more prevelent after the bike is warm,I don't know wether to get a set of second hand throttle bodies with injectors and see if that does it..
any ideas would be much appreciated
the bike is a 2005 A3 model
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 4:27 pm

Coil/spark plug wires/spark plugs/fuel/old bike
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 4:31 pm

Bad fuel. Dunno if it has been mentioned before, but you might try adding an additive to the fuel tank to deal with moisture.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t11795-techron-redex-redline-seafoam?highlight=Redline

Next bet would be to have the throttle bodies balanced.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Runs normally at lower speeds? No hesitation? Not a misfire would do it most of the time if were an ignition problem. Honda PGMFI adds a bit more fuel when cold then leans it out at normal temps. usually when they start to misfire. At 30 miles it ran fine until more load and speed? TPMS usual problems moving throttle. MAP sensor maybe but same as TPMS large throttle changes or a vacuum leak. I'd bet on fuel weak fuel pump, filter very dirty. Surge fuel pressure . Stumbles misfire. No O/2 sensor on that bike but sometimes they cause similar issues.
Back to top Go down
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 3:53 am

Thanks for the replies ,Yes the bike runs fine until holding a steady throttle at around 70mph ,so do you reckon it's more of a fuel.problem than a electrical issue ?although I haven't checked the tps sensor or maf sensor yet but it looks like you need a honda tool to do it according to the manual ,there must be a work.around some how ,just seems.strange it's in and around that speed everytime it plays up.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 am

check spark plug caps for fit.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 am

Not a misfire would do it most of the time if were an ignition problem. <<>> maybe maybe not, not on my S'Wing but another vehicle a loose plug wire would go to ground over 50 mph and caused a misfire, under that it ran fine. What John said is worth the try, even a cracked fitting MAY do it.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 6:03 pm

He replaced coil and plug leads already and a few other parts. I don' know if they were used or new.
Honda's going to misfire hot engine when they lean out extra fuel when cold makes it easier not to .
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
He replaced coil and plug leads already and a few other parts.  I don' know if they were used or new.
Honda's going to misfire hot engine when they lean out extra fuel when cold makes it easier not to .
small moped Hondas form of speed control chickendance Maybe? it's why I never experience it with my 05, not as efficient as the latter models?
Back to top Go down
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2021 2:25 pm

Yes Mech 1 twa   new fuel regulator,spark plugs vacuum pipes and air filter,apart from replacment coils off another wing but tested and in good order  the misfire/stutter happens at exactly the same speed  70mph on a steady throttle after all the above replacements ,thats why i'm thinking it must be a sensor or fuel ?
looks like this isn't a common occurance, searching for misfire not much comes up
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2021 5:27 pm

Is it the same tank of fuel? I'm sorta with Tim ... old/going bad gas. Could be old or could be a lesser quality perhaps? If it's the same tankful, run it down/out and refill with Tier 1, non-ethanol gas (if it's available near you). I'd be curious how it responds to fresh fuel.
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2021 6:02 pm

A fuel flow test might provide some good information. I would disconnect the fuel return hose from the pressure regulator(it is the one toward the front of the bike) and attach another proper size hose long enough to reach the floor and a small container. Turn the ignition on for 10 seconds and you should collect a minimum of 4.5 imperial ounces of fuel.

Whenever I am faced with a strange or intermittent problem with an older bike I think that is a good time to disconnect all connectors that I can reasonably get to and then force some dielectric grease into the female sides. Then I connect and disconnect several times. Most connectors on the Silver Wing are under the left side cover and the top of the engine.
Back to top Go down
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Yes I think that sounds like a plan, I'll do the connectors too cheers 1wingman1 for the reply
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2021 9:59 pm

Check/Clean ground wires at frame ground in that LH cover area also. Don't use sandpaper, polish with brass brush or green Scotch Brite, clean with alcohol, personally not a fan of dielectric grease on frame grounds, but light coat is ok.
Back to top Go down
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2021 1:10 pm

Well I have think I have found my problem , it's seems pointing to the fuel pump .... manual says minimum 0.188cm or 6.4us oz or 6.6 imp it's about half that after a couple of tries so fingers crossed this is the problem , thanks for all the advice off here , fuel pump here I come Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Best of luck pulling that tank. Under the best of circumstances it’s a PITA.

There are several topics posted here regarding removing the tank. Just use the Search function to locate those discussions. On a more positive note, a member here recently posted that he was able to jam a duct tape roll under the panel (near the gas fill) which allowed him the access to remove that top tank mount nut without removing the entire front end.
Back to top Go down
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2021 2:57 pm

Cheers for the tip cosmic jumper..being honest I'm just looking forward to having the bike back to normal so I'll be suffering with a smile😂
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The misfire mystery continues ho hum   The misfire mystery continues ho hum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The misfire mystery continues ho hum
Page 1 of 1