Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...

Go down 
+2
oldwingguy
Starkman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-02-22

The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... Empty
PostSubject: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Hey all,

Does anyone know what the fairing is made of? I need to have it cut down so I can see over it, but I understand that depending on what it's made of will determine if this can be done and how well it can be accomplished.

Thanks much.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2021 2:08 pm

Starkman wrote:
Hey all,

Does anyone know what the fairing is made of? I need to have it cut down so I can see over it, but I understand that depending on what it's made of will determine if this can be done and how well it can be accomplished.

Thanks much.

Fairing meaning windshield?  Painters Tape in the area you want to cut. Measure accurately. Use a jig saw with a fine tooth blade meant  for plastic, saw slowly. This worked for me on a G'Wing.  Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2021 2:45 pm

@oldwingguy,

Yeah, the windshield. I heard that if it's plain plastic it can crack really easy when being cut. If it's acrylic, there seems to be more forgiveness. I'm taking it into a glass shop to be cut, so we'll see.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Please let us know how much it cost to have that glass shop cut down your windshield.

We all benefit from shared information.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2021 3:47 pm

@cosmic,

Will do!
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 6:39 am

Hi,

I personnaly often cut windshield. I use masking tape to mark the cutting line and use a little air angle grinder with a cutting disc. After  to get a rounded finish cut, I use a polishing electric angle machine (like a huge electric angle grinder but with variable speed) with a sanding disk to buff it like rounded shape. You surely could also make that sending with the little air angle grinder with a sanding disk on it to. When starting to make the round shape use rought grit to go faster and go smoother until you are happy. I usualy finish it with a rubbing compound using an electric angle grinder because of the speed needed to polish with rubbing compound ...  

It take about an hour to do it... Be carefull when cutting with the disk because it trow some liquid melted plastic on you . So always wear safety glasses and long sleeve.

Good luck and if you fell like having it cut for free  come up to my home I will do it for you. You surely will deserve the job if you do the trip....

Michel
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 7:16 am

I never tried the angle grinder with a disk, maybe a Dremel tool would do the job? Edges were always hand smoothed, but again it's what one is comfortable with. I had an old G'Wing windscreen to practice on at the time.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 9:13 am

oldwingguy wrote:
I never tried the angle grinder with a disk, maybe a Dremel tool would do the job? Edges were always hand smoothed, but again it's what one is comfortable with. I had an old G'Wing windscreen to practice on at the time.

Not sure if a dremel would be powerfull anought into plastic when getting hot , sticky and melting....
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 10:06 am

Michel Vachon wrote:
Not sure if a dremel would be powerfull anought into plastic when getting hot , sticky and melting....

That’s why using a saber saw (jig saw) with a fine tooth blade and advancing slowly has always been the go-to procedure for those who’ve done it. 

Ya can’t argue with success.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 11:33 am

Been a while since I have posted so I need to get back into the groove. Like Michel Vachon I have cut down several windshields. And like Starkman, I want to see over the top rather than thru the shield.
I mask off the shield and using a cardboard templet a magic marker is used to outline where I want to cut. I use a dremel tool with a 1/8" bit and follow this line with drilled holes very close together. Then use the same drill bit as a mill cutter and slice my way from hole to hole. You will get some minor melting as Michel noted. Remove the tape and with a rasp and fine file smooths things up. Not a fast way of cutting it down but the results are very good.
Dickie
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 12:22 pm

Well, I can't cut this myself, so I'll be taking it to a glass shop. I do, however, need to know if there's any hiccups when trying to take off the windshield--the shop can't cut it if it's not removed from the scooter.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 2:15 pm

Use the Search function for the "Remove front fairing. How to video". He eventually gets to the "tricky" part of removing the windshield garnish. After that it's pretty straight forward.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 2:32 pm

Well, assuming this was the correct video (https://www.silverwing600.com/t11146-how-to-fairing-removal-video-in-depth-steps?highlight=fairing), I wasn't sure what to make of it. I mean, all I had to do was take out the two screws near the dash, the two screws in the front holding the winged plate on, and the six screws holding the winshield in place. That was it. I did have to use the manual, which, for me, is usually a disaster...not a visual person at all! But I got the windshield off and down to the shop. They should have it finished later today. Yea! (Now, to get it back on. We shall see. We shall see!)

Oh, and for those of you who wanted to know, the price I was quoted was $35.00.
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 5:07 pm

After cutting with a jigsaw a hand-held belt sander will quickly smooth out the edge. Care is needed because the sander eats plastic away in a hurry. It does not melt the plastic when 80 grit is used.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...   The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 2006 Silver Wing Fairing...
Page 1 of 1