Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover Empty
PostSubject: More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover   More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 3:51 pm

Does anybody have the torque settings for the left rear (crankcase) cover?

There are the three large bolts around the bearing area and then the small 8mm bolts around the edge of the cover, and one in the middle.

I can't find the torque settings in the manual.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover   More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Outer belt cover Right? 6MM bolts 10MM head 7-9lbf-ft . 8MM bolts 12MM head 16-20lbf-ft manual is confusing Page 1-11 at the top. Fastener types are different.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover   More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 5:20 pm

Are you talking about final gearbox cover ?, std torque for 8mm low tension(reduced head or allen)) bolts is 22NM/16ft/lbs, high tension(built in flange/washer) 26NM/20ft/lbs, see SW shop manual 1-11. I usually do 24NM/18ft/lbs on most 8MM bolts.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover   More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 5:52 am

Very useful info above, thanks. The manual is confusing I agree. I'm talking about the aluminium 'pulleys and belt' cover. There are three larger bolts around the rear pulley shaft bearing housing and then the smaller bolts around the edge of the casing plus the one in the middle, nicely hidden! (For simple reference, I usually call the bolt size by its head size rather than the stem thickness or thread pitch).

One more thought. Do the bolts have to be secured in a particular sequence to prevent distortion?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover   More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 9:54 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
Very useful info above, thanks. The manual is confusing I agree. I'm talking about the aluminium 'pulleys and belt' cover. There are three larger bolts around the rear pulley shaft bearing housing and then the smaller bolts around the edge of the casing plus the one in the middle, nicely hidden! (For simple reference, I usually call the bolt size by its head size rather than the stem thickness or thread pitch).

One more thought. Do the bolts have to be secured in a particular sequence to prevent distortion?
Ā This is mostly a PSA, As a general rule any panel or cover having multiple fasteners should be tigthenedĀ  from center out in a criss/cross pattern, but mostly applies to large contact area surfaces, this particular cover(belt cover) is a very robust part and it's aligned by dowel pins, don't believe it will migrate/slide any when torqued, honestly as this is considered a service cover and will get removed more often, I would stay in the low range of torque range to prevent thread damage in the long run, so 10nm(7ft/lbs) for 6mm and 22nm(16ft/lbs) for 8mm should be good IMO, install the bolts finger tight and then torque, Just make sure your bolt and case threads are clean/oil free for true torque reading. I like to do sharpie marker stripes(witness marks) on larger bolts JIC I don't have a torque wrench handy at some point. BTW don't use any loctite, etc. on regular service bolts.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover   More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 2:27 pm

This is the kind of stuff I need to know. Thanks. It's worth knowing a little of the science involved with this stuff. I will think of nuts and bolts in a different way from now on. The sharpie marks are a good idea too.

I suspect I've been a bit heavy-handed in the past so here's to new philosophy Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover   More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More Torque Settings Left Rear Cover
Page 1 of 1