Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Swing accesories

Go down 
+9
Loosemarbles
Easyrider
JamieB
sonuvabug
john grinsel
GHM-PM
Meldrew
Mighty Mouse
FrancoisJ
13 posters
AuthorMessage
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: SWING ACCESSORIES   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 1:11 am

I notice that the "Accessories & Modifications" board mainly describes the Dr Pulley.  I'm a newby and while this discussion is very much worthwhile reading, I have a need to "deck out" my Swing.  Started with the obvious - GPS, topbox internal square LED light, topbox external LED strips, modulating brake lights, easy readable digital clock and an ambient temperature guage, general maintenance service (oil, oil filter, air filter & plugs) and serious cleaning of all the pannels that had to be removed for this purpose.  But what other accessories are worthwhile looking at? TPMS,  platform pegs for pillion, rear view mirrors with LED lights, are on my list.  Maybe wind deflectors also.
My reasoning is safety, comfort, and "delight" of tampering. The probe in my neck of the woods is availability, e.g. does platform pegs even exist? Where do you fing it?

Am I alone in this "love" for my Swing?

I'm spending an more and more joyfull time on this site. Thank you to all participants (says a retired motorcycle enthusiast).
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 2:12 am

Hi Francois, you have hi-jacked another thread, but while we're here.

Ride long distance every day = TPMS for those unexpected punctures. Also a cruise control mod.
Ride both winter & summer rains = hot grips mod
Expecting to have the Swing for many happy (s)miles = modify air filter with a sponge instead of the exorbitant standard Honda air filter.
Experience blind cagers daily = additional LED spots & noisy exhaust
Back to top Go down
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: SWING ACCESSORIES   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 3:39 am

Mighty Mouse wrote:
Hi Francois, you have hi-jacked another thread, but while we're here.

Ride long distance every day = TPMS for those unexpected punctures. Also a cruise control mod.
Ride both winter & summer rains = hot grips mod
Expecting to have the Swing for many happy (s)miles = modify air filter with a sponge instead of the exorbitant standard Honda air filter.
Experience blind cagers daily = additional LED spots & noisy exhaust

Apologies! thumbs up I plead geriatric side effects!

Will try to move it to the right thread.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 5:53 am

I'd have thought treating your tyres with a dose of Puncturesafe or similar in tyre sealant is a more effective and peace of mind alternative than relying on a TPMS. Good luck on fixing any unexpected tyre puncture out on the open road.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 6:59 am

Meldrew, our SA roads are bad and a tyre sealant is usually not enough to fix the bolts and such which we find laying around on the freeway. A TPMS at least warns you that you are about to run into trouble, leaving time to drive to a service station for a tyre plug.
Without it I would find myself 10km's from the nearest offramp riding on a flapping flat, unable to turn left or right without a butt puckering rear end wobble!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 7:32 am

I split this off, FrancoisJ. It will be less confusing and get more traffic.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 7:42 am

Mighty Mouse wrote:
Without it I would find myself 10km's from the nearest offramp riding on a flapping flat, unable to turn left or right without a butt puckering rear end wobble!

I'm familiar with that butt puckering sensation you speak of. After one incident I was asked if someone had been biting my seat cover. 😐
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 10:25 am

If you have to have TPMS to tell you , you have a loss of tire pressure? You probably do not belong on 2 wheels!!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 12:06 pm

FrancoisJ wrote:
... snipped ... I have a need to "deck out" my Swing ... started with the obvious - GPS, topbox internal square LED light, topbox external LED strips, modulating brake lights, easy readable digital clock and an ambient temperature gauge ... But what other accessories are worthwhile looking at?

Hey Francois, when it comes to farkles ("f"unctional s"parkles" -- accessorizing with aftermarket add-ons), it is very much one's personal choice.  One person's necessities is another person's "excessities" (my word).  

For example, you state a GPS is "obvious" for you.  Well, maybe for you it is but for others, it is not.  That can lead to some, let's just say, very subjective, "pointed" opinions which at times, raise people's emotional hackles.  

Just be prepared for those who will bash anything you may want or do that is different from what they believe. 

As for me, I say if it makes you happy Francois ... then go for it. It's your ride to enjoy! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 1:37 pm

Looking at a certain above thread, the older you get the more stupid comments you make,!

I’m with Sonuvabug, ask all the questions and enjoy the forum FrancoisJ.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 2:02 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
FrancoisJ wrote:
... snipped ... I have a need to "deck out" my Swing ... started with the obvious - GPS, topbox internal square LED light, topbox external LED strips, modulating brake lights, easy readable digital clock and an ambient temperature gauge ... But what other accessories are worthwhile looking at?

Hey Francois, when it comes to farkles ("f"unctional s"parkles" -- accessorizing with aftermarket add-ons), it is very much one's personal choice.  One person's necessities is another person's "excessities" (my word).  

For example, you state a GPS is "obvious" for you.  Well, maybe for you it is but for others, it is not.  That can lead to some, let's just say, very subjective, "pointed" opinions which at times, raise people's emotional hackles.  

Just be prepared for those who will bash anything you may want or do that is different from what they believe. 

As for me, I say if it makes you happy Francois ... then go for it.  It's your ride to enjoy! thumbs up

Francois, just don't ask for a recommended tire. LOL!!!!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 3:15 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Francois, just don't ask for a recommended tire. LOL!!!!

That's right ... because everyone knows that Michelin Power Pure SC's are the only way to go. Laughing

You can ask about oil though.  Hardly any thing to say there! Wink
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 4:00 pm

I share your love Brother!.

In my opinion the SW is a work of art. Bling it up any way you like. I'm going to fit 26g Dr Pulley sliders and sliding pieces soon so that will be a revelation for me.

Access to the bike after removing all the tupperware can be a pain in the a***, but discovering how the whole thing fits together is even more interesting. Honda really gave this bike some thought...apart from the 'Monday morning and Friday afternoon' bits.

Enjoy it thumbs up

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 4:20 pm

If there are accessories a SilverWing really needs----#1 Givi adjustable windshield if you enjoy/need somesort of comfort on long trips #2 Givi rack and box---they do not break or fall off! The rest of the add on's are probably junk. My experience with SilverWings is 2 new ones and 90,000 miles---they work if you leave them alone and remember they are SCOOTERS.

I agree on tires--Michelin Power Pure SC in proper size and pressure----they wear round and perform about same there entire service life. My record on rear, but on Burgman 400 returning from Alaska is 11,000 miles!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 6:04 pm

Regarding my earlier post about TPMS, they're useful if your a bit lazy about regularly checking tyre pressures but they don't prevent punctures in any way. Our car has a TPMS according to the Owners Handbook but I've never been aware of it's usefulness as it's never lit up. Maybe it's because I regularly go round check the tyre pressures  using an old fashioned pencil gauge and adding air with a cycle track pump.

I do the same with all the maxi scooters I've owned, and it's a lot easier with the Forza than crawling round under the Silver Wing. I've only ever had one puncture with tubeless tyres and that was back in the late Ninties on the rear wheel of a Helix that hadn't been treated Puncturesafe.

Unlike tubed tyres a punctured tubeless tyre deflates slower than a tubed one so there was time to come to a controlled stop by the side of the road. After finding the puncture site and removing the nail, I found out that the tubeless kit that would save the day in such a situation was absolutely useless. The rubber plug I inserted didn't work and the CO2 cartridge weren't upto  the job either.

I went home that day with my Helix on the back of a recovery truck. I binned that tubeless repair kit when I got home and I had to buy a new rear tyre too. So even though it was 20 years before TPMS were available, it would have been stating the obvious that I'd lost tyre pressure.

So I started using  Puncturesafe after that  and I haven't had a tyre puncture on any maxi scooter I've owned since then, I'll treat any replacement tyres with sealant, and I carry a top of the range tubeless repair kit and gas cylinders. I've tried cycle hand pumps and mini foot pumps and they're a waste of time and space. That tubeless repair kit is just another piece of kit to take up under seat space.

Another waste of money were those replacement valve caps that showed a little green plastic stem under a clear plastic cover when your tyre pressures were in spec, and a red one when the tyre pressure was low. Seemed a good idea until I went in my garage one day and the rear tyre was flat. I found the red, green, clear plastic parts of the valve cap over the other side of my garage.

I bought them after I’d read a couple of forum posts about them being a good farkle. Now imagine if that valve cap had blown if I'd been out riding at speed, I'd have most certainly came off or been hit by another vehicle.

So I'd recommend any new Silver Wing owner to be wary of some of the rubbish that's recommended on here. The usual crap that 'make the ride your own'. Not fork springs and stuff but rubbish things like highway pegs, flag mounts, cup holders, leather handlebar streamers, unnecessary chrome bling like big fat chrome grips, Grip Buddies, I could go on and on but I've said it all before.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 3:23 am

Not a farkle but a useful thing nonetheless is mini electric tyre inflator. A TPMS might tell you a tyre is going down but a pump blows it up again and as Meldrew points out deflation in modern tyres is usually slow.
A syphon tube is also handy for emergency scrounging of petrol.
I guess I'm more concerned about keeping riding than cosmetic stuff.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 6:19 am

I carry hand pump----bad experience in rural Maine with small electric pump=killed modern battery, had to rely on jump starts from others to get home to TN---new battery then required once I got home. I probably should have left engine running when I used pump. Walking sucks.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 7:14 am

I'd disagree with the 'walking sucks' line you constantly add to your posts. I don't mind walking at all. I'm not into muddy country walks or mindlessly plodding up hills to see the view, but as exercise or a way of exploring a town or city it’s great. Walking requires no special equipment, and anything that either gets your heart rate up and burns off lockdown calories only has to be a good thing.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 7:42 am

I have TPMS on both my cages. Feel it is not a necessity for me. However that said, it is handy on my wife's car as she has come to me to say the light is on and I have found a low tire with a nail or something. I am rigid about checking my pressures before driving any distance. 2 or 4 wheelers, I believe this helps with tire mileage as well.

Another safety gadget that has some value, but I wonder how much this adds to the price of the vehicles we drive?
Back to top Go down
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: SWING FARKELS   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 11:50 am

Thank you so much for all the inputs/advice.  It left me with quite a task to incorporate in my thinking!

I'm especially chuffed with learning a new word for accessories - farkels. It is not well known here, but rest assured - I'll use it from now on as if it is my own!

The TPMS issue seems to have different opinions (as can be expected). But here's my (less than properly informed) thinking.  I check the tire pressures before every ride (OK ... almost every ride! Embarassed) But I remain apprehensive about the part where I ride and a tire gets punctured. Having been riding for a very long time, it has NEVER happened to me (GIG).  So I decided to always pack a good repair kit.  I also pack the "fix punctures in a can", reasoning that I would need to inflate to some extend in order to be able to ride to where it can be permanently addressed. The TPMS would (hopefully) give me some peace of mind when I spring a puncture, to react before disaster strikes?

Which leads to another aspect - a small emergency pump.  My Swing has a sigarette lighter outlet in the left storage box in the cockpit.  There would theroretically be no prblem to use it with the motor running, thus eliminating battery issues?

I need to "boast" that I today finished my first routine service - airfilter, oil, oil filter and spark plugs.  I'm including some pics - perhaps as a wakeup call to newbies to the Swing (like me).  It doesn't mean anything if it looks spotlessly clean.  You still have to get peace of mind as to the basics of maintennance. There is a pic of the old and new airfliter, as well as a nifty oil filter wrench that will work on all sizes.

Thank you all for looking over us "old souls" (Lol) by your precious reaction to our posts!Swing accesories 1_st_s12
Swing accesories 1_st_s13
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 1:27 pm

Fancois, I've run my mini-compressor from that socket.
As you suggest, I keep the engine running when I do it and it causes me no problems.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 12:48 am

I've rode on new Michelin Power Pure SC tires for two years (15k) miles and hated them. I always use Ride-On balancer/sealer in my tires. Maybe it is our tar snaked highways but it always tried to follow them. Good thing I got a new 2013 swing. It came with IRCs and I really like them. I got around 13k on the front and 16k on the rear. Now that I am retired, I travel less on my bike. I average maybe 80 miles a week.

You should always run the engine when using a tire pump. I learned it the hard way. Just like John, I aired up my tires that were low without running the engine, and could not start my bike. Thankfully I was at home when this happened. I was checking my tires before a ride. I now rely on my TPMS 100%. After installing my TPMS I would check my tires for pressure and visual inspection. After four years, I only do visual inspection. Have been using the same system ten years now and it has never fail me. I can see in real time my tire pressure for both tires. I set a high and low pressure where it will send me a warning if out of my specified range. Yes I've gotten lazy. I only inspect visually.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 11:37 am

I just check tire pressure before any long trip. If the tires are low it handles differently. Been riding so long don't need no stinking monitor (lol) I do care a can of fix a flat.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2020-04-26

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 2:04 pm

The AirHawk seems to be the solution that's it's lauded-for. I installed mine under my 'breathable' mesh seat-net. When they tell you to just have minimal air inside of it, they're not kidding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Swing accesories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing accesories   Swing accesories I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing accesories
Page 1 of 1