Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from southeast PA

Go down 
+5
Mech 1 twa
Michel Vachon
Dale N.
Cosmic_Jumper
oldwingguy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bikeman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2021-02-09

Hello from southeast PA Empty
PostSubject: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2021 6:57 pm

silverwing600

Hello fellow S’wingers…er silver wingers…  I’d like to introduce myself and say thanks for admitting me to your community.  My name is Mike and I’m a lifelong biker, but picked up my first scooter last month, a 2003 silverwing 600 with 3000 miles.  It came with a color mated Givi top box with functional tail and brake lights, and it also came with a Honda service manual.
   The scooter was for sale for several months in a nearby town.  I’d see it on rides outside the guy’s garage and then it wouldn’t be there, so I knew he’d pull it in at night.  Three months later I made him an offer in 20-degree weather and he accepted and here I am!
  As I mentioned I’ve ridden ever since I remember.  First offload, then on road with my dual sport since i was 16.  My first new bike was in 2000 when I graduated college, started a new job, and bought a new Suzuki Bandit 1200.
    I’ve owned just about every common brand except Harley.  Currently, I’m riding a 1999 BMW K1200LT, a 2018 Yamaha MT10, and I have a 2003 Ninja 250 for my wife to learn to ride.  
    Mods so far to the Silverwing
1.  Oxford heated grips.  I wanted to ride in January and my other bikes have heated grips and once you have them…you can’t go back.  
2. Cleaned up prior owner’s wiring.  The previous owner tapped one of the switched power wires under the right glovebox.  At first I thought of using this to power the heated grips but it specifically warns not to use a lighting circuit incase it blows a fuse and you have no light.  I decided to do it right and reduce the load on those factory leads under the fairing by running a dedicated power line from the battery.  I then used a 12volt relay under the fairing to switch power from the battery directly to both the aux 12volt cig port in the glovebox and the Oxford grips.  I used the previous owner’s wire tap as the trigger lead on the relay, so when the key is off, all power is removed from grips and 12volt outlet.
3. Added handguards, again for cold weather riding.
4. Added a battery tender lead.
5. Added a windshield extender.  It works but is cheaply made.  But, it went from constant buffeting to being quiet even with the visor up to 70 mph.  

Things I still need to do are; install new tires, install new exhaust.  I like to be able to hear an engine.  Install some Dr. Pulley sliders.  I’d really love to redo the suspension but we’ll see.  Problem is I’ve had that done on my sport bikes and when you get it dialed in to your weight it changes everything, and spoils you.  Maybe just fork springs and oil for now.

That’s it.  Thanks for allowing me in.  I hope to share what I’m working on as soon as I can.  

Thanks.
Mike
Attachments
Hello from southeast PA AttachmentIMG_0011.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(78 Kb) Downloaded 20 times
Hello from southeast PA AttachmentIMG_0013.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(73 Kb) Downloaded 10 times
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2021 7:30 pm

Welcome to the fold from o-HI-o enjoy the new ride and the site.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2021 9:28 pm

Hello Mike. Thanks for your introduction. Welcome to the forum.

We had the PA Maxi Scoots Rallies in New Holland for several years. Originally we all met at Shady Maple but when things got big we eventually HQ’d things at the Hollander Motel and then got a friendlier and more accommodating reception at Yoders for dinners.

Well actually it all began in ~2004 with 6 or 7 of us meeting (via the old Yahoo Silverwing forum) at Stoudt’s Brewery in Adamstown. But that’s another story.
Back to top Go down
bikeman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2021 10:56 pm

Ha. I was just at Yoder’s this evening. I had no idea it started here. I actually bought this silverwing just down the road from Stoudts. Thanks for the welcome.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2021 11:40 pm

Hi Mike and welcome to the BEST SWing site on the net. That's a nice looking SWing. I had my SWing triked out about 3 years ago and have no regrets. It serves me well. At least so far.
Hello from southeast PA Coborn33
Back to top Go down
bikeman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2021 8:16 am

That looks good Dale. Nice choice on the wheels. They match nicely with the front.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2021 9:16 am

Hello Mike,

Welcome on the site ! You will find here alot of knowledge and good friend ready to help anytime.

Your welcome home anytime
Michel
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 8:31 pm

Welcome bikeman. There are a few fellow Pa. riders here. I'm in Allentown get down that way often.
Best SW site and much good info. here. Pa. has some of the best roads.
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 9:29 pm

Welcome Bikerider, I've got the same year SW and it is holding up well after all these years!  I'm sure you've covered it, but in case not -  don't forget to check and/or replace the air filter behind the side panel with the 'silverwing' logo on it.  I left it for years and went through a lot of dusty/dirt backroads during that time.

My engine started 'coughing' and Honda Dealer told me the filter had really needed to be replaced - I do the switch myself now when needed.

Kevin
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 9:32 am

Welcome aboard the board Mike. Nice looking scoot and matching top case. BTW - you also have another GIVI farkle ... the passenger backrest is an add-on.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 2:15 pm

Welcome from another PA Silverwinger.

A while back, my next door neighbor saw me trade my BMW F800ST in on a '12 Swing and about a year later came home on a 2008 Swing. Then my neighbor diagonally across the street asked if I was interested in selling my Swing. I said not in the near future, so a few months later he came riding home on a BMW 650 scooter. So we're a default scooter club within 150 feet of each other.

I think your Swing will be high competition with your other bikes. The twist and go advantage is hard to beat. Seems like you are adding smartly to your Swing.
Back to top Go down
bikeman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yes, the twist and go is hard to beat. I’m realizing even when cold, a cvt is butter-smooth over riding off on a cold engine motorcycle. Now of this snow would melt already...

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southeast PA   Hello from southeast PA I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from southeast PA
Page 1 of 1